English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   Dependent visa for an EU citizen? (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/257161-dependent-visa-eu-citizen.html)

nevaeh 19.07.2016 02:52

Dependent visa for an EU citizen?
Hi everyone,

My husband (third country national) has accepted a job offer and his future employer is now starting to process the paperwork to request a residence permit for him (I believe it'll be either L or B) and we'll be based in Zurich.

The question: will I be able to join him in Switzerland as a dependent after his permit is issued?

We're currently living in Asia and we have been married for a couple of years, and I'm an EU citizen, so if I find a job it'll be easy enough for me to stay, easier than for his company to apply for his residence permit at least.

However, I'm not sure if I can get a job within the first couple of months, and now I'm wondering if I can travel with him to Switzerland? I can enter the country as an EU citizen and stay for a while, but I'm worried that I'll have to stay behind and wait for some type of dependent visa to be issued.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
a) Should the dependent visa be processed together with his L/B visa or do we apply for it only after it's issued?
b) Can I enter the country (with the regular 3-month waiver) and get a dependent visa while in the country?
c) Is it possible to contact the local authorities online or on the phone (without being in the country) and is it possible to get English speaking support?


Medea Fleecestealer 19.07.2016 07:19

Re: Dependent visa for an EU citizen?
Yes, you can come with him. As an EU national you have the right to come here anyway, but the company should apply for a dependent's permit for you at the same time they're applying for his.

It's a shame you didn't do it the other way around really. If you'd found a job here first then as your dependent he wouldn't need to go through the non-EU hiring process as his permit only requires that he notify the authorities when he'd found a job. Still, never mind, done now.

Remember he needs to apply for a Type D visa at the Swiss embassy/consulate where you're currently living as well. If the permit is granted, then the visa will be issued to him to allow him to enter Switzerland long term legally. As an EU national you don't need one.

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0