Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19.07.2016, 02:52
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: CH
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
nevaeh has no particular reputation at present
Dependent visa for an EU citizen?

Hi everyone,

My husband (third country national) has accepted a job offer and his future employer is now starting to process the paperwork to request a residence permit for him (I believe it'll be either L or B) and we'll be based in Zurich.

The question: will I be able to join him in Switzerland as a dependent after his permit is issued?

We're currently living in Asia and we have been married for a couple of years, and I'm an EU citizen, so if I find a job it'll be easy enough for me to stay, easier than for his company to apply for his residence permit at least.

However, I'm not sure if I can get a job within the first couple of months, and now I'm wondering if I can travel with him to Switzerland? I can enter the country as an EU citizen and stay for a while, but I'm worried that I'll have to stay behind and wait for some type of dependent visa to be issued.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
a) Should the dependent visa be processed together with his L/B visa or do we apply for it only after it's issued?
b) Can I enter the country (with the regular 3-month waiver) and get a dependent visa while in the country?
c) Is it possible to contact the local authorities online or on the phone (without being in the country) and is it possible to get English speaking support?

Reply With Quote
Old 19.07.2016, 07:19
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 20,404
Groaned at 353 Times in 268 Posts
Thanked 14,872 Times in 8,552 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dependent visa for an EU citizen?

Yes, you can come with him. As an EU national you have the right to come here anyway, but the company should apply for a dependent's permit for you at the same time they're applying for his.

It's a shame you didn't do it the other way around really. If you'd found a job here first then as your dependent he wouldn't need to go through the non-EU hiring process as his permit only requires that he notify the authorities when he'd found a job. Still, never mind, done now.

Remember he needs to apply for a Type D visa at the Swiss embassy/consulate where you're currently living as well. If the permit is granted, then the visa will be issued to him to allow him to enter Switzerland long term legally. As an EU national you don't need one.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PhD-Student (EU Citizen) dependend visa for wife (Non - EU Citizen) nico1980 Permits/visas/government 2 01.02.2011 08:50
Non-EU citizen married to an EU-citizen. Can she work in Switzerland? yovoda Permits/visas/government 4 10.12.2009 10:01
Visa/Permit for non-eu Dependent kamyar Permits/visas/government 4 24.09.2008 03:53
Work permit for Non-EU dependent visa gnartyuh Permits/visas/government 6 30.07.2008 22:39

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0