English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   American Passport Renewal (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/267614-american-passport-renewal.html)

Verbier 13.03.2017 13:21

American Passport Renewal
 
I came across this article and I thought it could be interesting to Americans whose passports will need to be renewed in 2017/18.

The key paragraph and advice in the article is this:

"We said it in 2016, and we'll say it again for 2017: If you don't have a passport or need to renew yours within six months, go ahead and apply now. Why? Chalk it up largely to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which was put into effect in 2007 and mandated that Americans entering the U.S. by air from Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda would be required to have a passport. Ten years later, all of these documents are expiring, which means more applications; and the January 2018 implementation of the Real ID Act (and the confusion surrounding it) has also led to an increased number of applications from travelers unsure whether their driver's license will be accepted as a valid form of ID for domestic travel. Add to that a rush of election-dismayed travelers looking to get out of Dodge, and the State Department will be a near-constant busy season. Officials say they expect 20 million passport renewal requests in 2017."

Article link: http://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-...d=synd_zergnet

olygirl 09.06.2020 11:40

Re: American Passport Renewal
 
Writing my experience here due to the significance of the title.

I was able to get an appointment in Bern within one week through their website. Maybe I was lucky but there was an appointment available for the following week which I immediately signed up for. The renewal process went well, the staff were friendly and, of course, you and your things will be screened.

Needless to say, the actual processing of the passport has been put on hold until the US agency opens again. In other words, my passport is sitting in limbo until someone deems it safe enough for administratives to begin working again.

In case of emergency, the US Embassy will issue a temporary passport valid for one year.

chrisba 20.06.2020 18:22

I just realized my US passport will expire later this year. I guess there also exists this swiss travel document for foreigners. I guess I could technically do either one but I am assuming the best option is to just renew the US passport. I'm not likely to travel back to the US very soon but I might want to go outside Schengen.

Links:

https://ch.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...dult-passport/
https://www.ch.ch/en/travelling-abroad/
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...dokumente.html

Has anybody done the Reisedokument für ausländische Personen, or is it simply not useful if you can get a good passport like US for example.


And... actually now I am wondering-- do people carry their passports when crossing into Germany for example? I'm not sure I actually brought mine when I went cross-border into Germany, so I might have actually been in violation (whoops)

chrisba 20.06.2020 18:34

Re: American Passport Renewal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olygirl (Post 3189306)
Writing my experience here due to the significance of the title.

I was able to get an appointment in Bern within one week through their website. Maybe I was lucky but there was an appointment available for the following week which I immediately signed up for. The renewal process went well, the staff were friendly and, of course, you and your things will be screened.

Needless to say, the actual processing of the passport has been put on hold until the US agency opens again. In other words, my passport is sitting in limbo until someone deems it safe enough for administratives to begin working again.

In case of emergency, the US Embassy will issue a temporary passport valid for one year.

@olygirl, Any idea how to check whether/when the US passport issuance will begin again? Or have you had any progress with yours since your post?

I just realized my passport expires Nov this year and may want to travel (within Europe but possibly outside Schengen). Not sure but this may be another way in which US expats in Switzerland could travel in the meantime (but maybe only within Schengen):
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...dokumente.html
also here:
https://www.ch.ch/en/travelling-abroad/

Guest 20.06.2020 18:56

Re: Renew US Passport and/or obtain Reisedokument für ausländische Personen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisba (Post 3192677)

And... actually now I am wondering-- do people carry their passports when crossing into Germany for example? I'm not sure I actually brought mine when I went cross-border into Germany, so I might have actually been in violation (whoops)

Yes, you should. In fact you're required to carry it at all times within Switzerland.

You don't technically need it to cross the border either way, and I don't know whether you need to carry it in Germany - you may be fine with your Swiss residency permit - but if you're asked for it when returning you could technically be in trouble for not carrying it.

chrisba 20.06.2020 19:04

Re: Renew US Passport and/or obtain Reisedokument für ausländische Personen
 
Quote:

Yes, you should. In fact you're required to carry it at all times within Switzerland.

You don't technically need it to cross the border either way, and I don't know whether you need to carry it in Germany - you may be fine with your Swiss residency permit - but if you're asked for it when returning you could technically be in trouble for not carrying it.
Mixed advice
https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...n%20sufficient.


I have a digital copy of my passport with me at all times I suppose.....

Guest 20.06.2020 19:36

Re: American Passport Renewal
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisba (Post 3192680)
@olygirl, Any idea how to check whether/when the US passport issuance will begin again? Or have you had any progress with yours since your post?

I just realized my passport expires Nov this year and may want to travel (within Europe but possibly outside Schengen). Not sure but this may be another way in which US expats in Switzerland could travel in the meantime (but maybe only within Schengen):
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...dokumente.html
also here:
https://www.ch.ch/en/travelling-abroad/

The US have just started passport printing/renewal according to my friend who went for her son's passport renewal last Tuesday in Bern. Good news as their printing/issuance was suspended for quite awhile due to Covid.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:04.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0