Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.03.2017, 13:21
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,336
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,314 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
American Passport Renewal

I came across this article and I thought it could be interesting to Americans whose passports will need to be renewed in 2017/18.

The key paragraph and advice in the article is this:

"We said it in 2016, and we'll say it again for 2017: If you don't have a passport or need to renew yours within six months, go ahead and apply now. Why? Chalk it up largely to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which was put into effect in 2007 and mandated that Americans entering the U.S. by air from Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda would be required to have a passport. Ten years later, all of these documents are expiring, which means more applications; and the January 2018 implementation of the Real ID Act (and the confusion surrounding it) has also led to an increased number of applications from travelers unsure whether their driver's license will be accepted as a valid form of ID for domestic travel. Add to that a rush of election-dismayed travelers looking to get out of Dodge, and the State Department will be a near-constant busy season. Officials say they expect 20 million passport renewal requests in 2017."

Article link: http://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-...d=synd_zergnet
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try(ing). Yoda
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 09.06.2020, 11:40
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 7,312
Groaned at 399 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 17,254 Times in 5,301 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: American Passport Renewal

Writing my experience here due to the significance of the title.

I was able to get an appointment in Bern within one week through their website. Maybe I was lucky but there was an appointment available for the following week which I immediately signed up for. The renewal process went well, the staff were friendly and, of course, you and your things will be screened.

Needless to say, the actual processing of the passport has been put on hold until the US agency opens again. In other words, my passport is sitting in limbo until someone deems it safe enough for administratives to begin working again.

In case of emergency, the US Embassy will issue a temporary passport valid for one year.
__________________
Faith isn't about everything turning out okay. Faith is about being okay no matter how things turn out.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 20.06.2020, 18:34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TBD
Posts: 153
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts
chrisba has earned some respectchrisba has earned some respect
Re: American Passport Renewal

Quote:
View Post
Writing my experience here due to the significance of the title.

I was able to get an appointment in Bern within one week through their website. Maybe I was lucky but there was an appointment available for the following week which I immediately signed up for. The renewal process went well, the staff were friendly and, of course, you and your things will be screened.

Needless to say, the actual processing of the passport has been put on hold until the US agency opens again. In other words, my passport is sitting in limbo until someone deems it safe enough for administratives to begin working again.

In case of emergency, the US Embassy will issue a temporary passport valid for one year.
@olygirl, Any idea how to check whether/when the US passport issuance will begin again? Or have you had any progress with yours since your post?

I just realized my passport expires Nov this year and may want to travel (within Europe but possibly outside Schengen). Not sure but this may be another way in which US expats in Switzerland could travel in the meantime (but maybe only within Schengen):
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...dokumente.html
also here:
https://www.ch.ch/en/travelling-abroad/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.06.2020, 19:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: American Passport Renewal

Quote:
View Post
@olygirl, Any idea how to check whether/when the US passport issuance will begin again? Or have you had any progress with yours since your post?

I just realized my passport expires Nov this year and may want to travel (within Europe but possibly outside Schengen). Not sure but this may be another way in which US expats in Switzerland could travel in the meantime (but maybe only within Schengen):
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...dokumente.html
also here:
https://www.ch.ch/en/travelling-abroad/
The US have just started passport printing/renewal according to my friend who went for her son's passport renewal last Tuesday in Bern. Good news as their printing/issuance was suspended for quite awhile due to Covid.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 20.06.2020, 18:22
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TBD
Posts: 153
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts
chrisba has earned some respectchrisba has earned some respect
I just realized my US passport will expire later this year. I guess there also exists this swiss travel document for foreigners. I guess I could technically do either one but I am assuming the best option is to just renew the US passport. I'm not likely to travel back to the US very soon but I might want to go outside Schengen.

Links:

https://ch.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...dult-passport/
https://www.ch.ch/en/travelling-abroad/
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...dokumente.html

Has anybody done the Reisedokument für ausländische Personen, or is it simply not useful if you can get a good passport like US for example.


And... actually now I am wondering-- do people carry their passports when crossing into Germany for example? I'm not sure I actually brought mine when I went cross-border into Germany, so I might have actually been in violation (whoops)

Last edited by Guest; 20.06.2020 at 18:52.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.06.2020, 18:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew US Passport and/or obtain Reisedokument für ausländische Personen

Quote:
View Post

And... actually now I am wondering-- do people carry their passports when crossing into Germany for example? I'm not sure I actually brought mine when I went cross-border into Germany, so I might have actually been in violation (whoops)
Yes, you should. In fact you're required to carry it at all times within Switzerland.

You don't technically need it to cross the border either way, and I don't know whether you need to carry it in Germany - you may be fine with your Swiss residency permit - but if you're asked for it when returning you could technically be in trouble for not carrying it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.06.2020, 19:04
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TBD
Posts: 153
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts
chrisba has earned some respectchrisba has earned some respect
Re: Renew US Passport and/or obtain Reisedokument für ausländische Personen

Quote:
Yes, you should. In fact you're required to carry it at all times within Switzerland.

You don't technically need it to cross the border either way, and I don't know whether you need to carry it in Germany - you may be fine with your Swiss residency permit - but if you're asked for it when returning you could technically be in trouble for not carrying it.
Mixed advice
https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...n%20sufficient.


I have a digital copy of my passport with me at all times I suppose.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american, american passport, document, passport, travel, usa passport




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Passport renewal Papa Goose Permits/visas/government 301 13.07.2021 20:55
Indian passport renewal Guest General off-topic 7 02.10.2016 19:48
UK Passport renewal hayleyjay1 Permits/visas/government 8 24.03.2016 09:43
UK Passport renewal Polorise Permits/visas/government 28 25.05.2010 00:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0