Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11.08.2020, 15:02
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
scellers has no particular reputation at present
Re: C permit for foreign student?

View Post
Seeing as scellers in in Zurich, it's also explicitly spelled out in the Migrationsamt ZH's practical directive on C permits (chapter 4.1.1 second paragraph). However it only applies to "normal" C permits which require 10 years residency (or 5 if you're from one of several EU countries which CH has a Niederlassungsvertrag with).

It doesn't seem to apply to a EU/EFTA academic who just switched to a regular job from the academia if they want a C permit based on good integration after 5 years, they would need to wait another 2 years (SEM handbook, first requirement; it doesn't differentiate between EU/EFTA and othe PhDs/postdocs).
I should clarify I'm not EU (from US, so eligible for 5-year C, if, y'know, I hadn't wasted all my time here getting a PhD :P), so the answers I gave are the answers I've repeatedly heard from Migrationsamt on non-EU students. Anecdotally, a non-EU colleague's C-permit application was rejected based on the same grounds: less than 2 years non-postdoc employment.
Equally anecdotally, I've had another non-EU friend successfully get a C permit despite still being a student, so I guess it's luck of the draw somtimes.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank scellers for this useful post:
Old 11.08.2020, 17:14
Bossa Nova's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 188
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 450 Times in 125 Posts
Bossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond reputeBossa Nova has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permit for foreign student?

View Post
So how did it go? Do the student B permit years count towards c permit or do you need to be on a regular work B permit for 2 years so that it can count?

I've worked at a uni here for 14 years and have known many EU PhD students who have automatically received a C permit after 5 years. Bizarrely, I also know EU post docs who were automatically granted a C after 5 years, whereas in the same commune and the same year we (EU here for a post doc, working at the same university, same country of origin) were refused a C and given another B. Took us a few more years to finally get a C.

Whatever the rules are, what happens in reality seems a bit random. A lot probably depends which person processes your file.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Bossa Nova for this useful post:
Old 26.07.2021, 16:30
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 51
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
hoppo is considered knowledgeablehoppo is considered knowledgeablehoppo is considered knowledgeable
Re: C permit for foreign student?

I hope there are still some active members reading this. I wanted to know if the rules for having a normal B permit for two years after studies apply to those who worked here during their studies. During my MA studies, I worked on different projects at two universities for more than two years and for every project, I had to wait for migration office to issue a work permit for me. Even once when my permit couldn't be extended on time (booked a flight, but the permit didn't reach me in one month), they gave me a visa for workers (motif professional) because they checked in the system and told me I am considered as someone who is working.
Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote

c permit, c permit in 5 years, citizenship, new naturalization law, student

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing student L permit to a student B permit Veronel Permits/visas/government 1 27.07.2016 19:40
Host a foreign student Moorsholm Commercial events 5 18.12.2013 23:18
Visa for partner of foreign student MJHMIC Permits/visas/government 2 08.04.2013 15:07
Path(s) for non-EU ( India ) Student B permit to C permit ? pritz Permits/visas/government 19 23.12.2012 16:37

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:01.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0