English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   Work Permit/Student Visa (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/269835-work-permit-student-visa.html)

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 10:43

Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Hello All,

I am from Istanbul and works in Hungary for 4 years.I'd be grateful if you can help me with the below situation.

I have just accepted in master program in Hochschule Luzern. The school will start in 18th of September. I was told to get in touch with the Swiss embassy to start the visa process. However if it is possible i would not apply for the student visa, as I will be marrying with my fiance beginning of August. She (holds Hungarian citizenship and B type permit in Switzerland) works in Rotkreuz and lives in Lucerne.
As far as I know I would be also entitled to the same type of work/resident permit (B) after the marriage and the process takes up to 4-6 weeks in kanton Luzern.

In case my permit won't be ready by time the school starts, may I still start my studies with my Hungarian permit until the Swiss permit is ready?

Kind regards,

roegner 10.05.2017 11:45

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aykutciftci (Post 2784300)

In case my permit won't be ready by time the school starts, may I still start my studies with my Hungarian permit until the Swiss permit is ready?

Kind regards,

No

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 11:59

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Hi Roegner,

Thank you for the prompt answer. As far as I know I am allowed to stay in EU countries(includes Switzerland) up to 3 months, so this won't help to start to school? I have one more question, do I need to have D entry visa in order to apply my permit in Switzerland?

Medea Fleecestealer 10.05.2017 12:39

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
To study here long term you need a student or residence permit so no. EU permits have no bearing on your status here in Switzerland because Switzerland isn't part of the EU. And yes, you will need a Type D visa to enter Switzerland for more than 90 days.

Getting the marriage recognised here can take some time so I'd go with getting the student permit and then it can be changed to a dependent's one once you're here and the marriage recogition stuff is sorted. Otherwise, there's no guarantee you would have a permit in time to start your course.

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 13:13

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Hi Medea,

Thank you for the reply and the tips. I meant with Hungarian permit only for the short time about 2 weeks up to 1 month. We were told by Luzern Canton that the process takes around 4-6 weeks. We will apply the family reunification process in August and the school will start in mid September. In case the permit wont' be ready by the time I was hoping to go there and attend to classes with my Hungarian permit. Do you think this can work?

Medea Fleecestealer 10.05.2017 13:27

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Again no. Your Hungarian permit means nothing here. Only having a Swiss permit does.

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 13:35

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
I see. Thank you so much for the clarification:)

doropfiz 10.05.2017 14:29

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
In case you have not already seen this, have a look here:
https://www.englishforum.ch/2784286-post2.html

doropfiz 10.05.2017 14:34

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
If you and your partner have already decided you want to be together, could you perhaps get married sooner? Then you could apply for the reunification earlier, too. That is, if you have collected all the necessary paperwork.

In Switzerland, a religious marriage ceremony does not count as the legal marriage.
All couples have to go the to be married in the government office (in German: Zivilstandsamt) and are married from that date. For all formal purposes (visas, permits, finances, etc.) the date of marriage is that formal one.

If a couple wishes to hold a religious ritual, or a big party, they can do that afterwards, at a later date.

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 14:40

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
We have appointment with Hungarian authorities in 26th of May. Unfortunately, Hungarian marriage office needs 2 months to verify the papers and gave us the date 7th of August. We will try to push them to make it faster however not sure how much it can be effective:(

doropfiz 10.05.2017 14:44

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Since your partner has a B-permit in Switzerland, could you perhaps marry sooner, in Switzerland? This might be simpler in terms of having all the documentation in one country.

Since you hold (if I've got it right) Turkish citizenship, could you perhaps marry sooner, in Turkey?

Remember that you can always have the celebration, with friends and family, wherever you choose, later.

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 14:57

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
How long it will take to marry in Switzerland? Do you think it can be faster?We have more or less all the documents 'birth certificate, confirmation that we are married etc'. That's right I am Turkish, I have checked this option but it takes also so much time.



Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 2784462)
Since your partner has a B-permit in Switzerland, could you perhaps marry sooner, in Switzerland? This might be simpler in terms of having all the documentation in one country.

Since you hold (if I've got it right) Turkish citizenship, could you perhaps marry sooner, in Turkey?

Remember that you can always have the celebration, with friends and family, wherever you choose, later.


doropfiz 10.05.2017 15:14

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aykutciftci (Post 2784478)
How long it will take to marry in Switzerland? Do you think it can be faster?We have more or less all the documents 'birth certificate, confirmation that we are married etc'. .

I don't know. But your partner should ask at her Swiss municipality, at the government office for marriages, called, in German, the Standesamt.

Maybe my idea was a poor one. I've now looked at
https://www.ch.ch/en/civil-wedding-ceremony/
and if I understand it correctly, both parties must first be resident in Switzerland, in order to marry.

Medea Fleecestealer 10.05.2017 15:50

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 2784499)
I don't know. But your partner should ask at her Swiss municipality, at the government office for marriages, called, in German, the Standesamt.

Maybe my idea was a poor one. I've now looked at
https://www.ch.ch/en/civil-wedding-ceremony/
and if I understand it correctly, both parties must first be resident in Switzerland, in order to marry.

Yes, but that isn't necessarily a problem. The fiance applies for a fiance permit for their intended and if granted will give them time to arrange the wedding here.

I doubt it would be quicker than doing it in Hungary as they already have a date there now. Swiss would want to do the same verification of documents, make sure it isn't a sham marriage just to get a permit, etc, etc. And I also doubt a fiance permit would allow the OP to study here which is the aim at the moment.

miniMia 10.05.2017 16:46

Re: Work Permit/Student Visa
 
It's not going to be quicker in Switzerland. Get married on the date you have planned. Once you register and your permit is in process, you should be able to start school.

Call the municipality where you GF lives and the university to verify.

Good luck and congratulations!

aykutciftci 10.05.2017 16:54

Thank you. Next week we will be in touch with the immigration office. That would be great if I can start the school while the permit is in progress:)


Quote:

Originally Posted by miniMia (Post 2784554)
It's not going to be quicker in Switzerland. Get married on the date you have planned. Once you register and your permit is in process, you should be able to start school.

Call the municipality where you GF lives and the university to verify.

Good luck and congratulations!

Thank you Medea. I think, Hungary is the best option to marry for the time being


Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 2784521)
Yes, but that isn't necessarily a problem. The fiance applies for a fiance permit for their intended and if granted will give them time to arrange the wedding here.

I doubt it would be quicker than doing it in Hungary as they already have a date there now. Swiss would want to do the same verification of documents, make sure it isn't a sham marriage just to get a permit, etc, etc. And I also doubt a fiance permit would allow the OP to study here which is the aim at the moment.

Indeed, Hungary looks like the best option for now..I really appreciate for your kind help.


Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 2784499)
I don't know. But your partner should ask at her Swiss municipality, at the government office for marriages, called, in German, the Standesamt.

Maybe my idea was a poor one. I've now looked at
https://www.ch.ch/en/civil-wedding-ceremony/
and if I understand it correctly, both parties must first be resident in Switzerland, in order to marry.



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0