Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07.08.2018, 14:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 14 Posts
fortis has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
So has anybody actually got one of these letters from their home country??
I did contact by e-mail the office responsible for gun control in my home country and they sent me such letter, free of charge!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07.08.2018, 15:22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 148
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Neilsan is considered knowledgeableNeilsan is considered knowledgeableNeilsan is considered knowledgeable
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Not sure if you specifically want a gun at home or just to shoot but perhaps this is helpful.

I had never held a gun so my girlfriend brought me to a shooting range just past Birmensdorf. They have a range of guns, I could use handguns, pump action shotgun, AR15 and MP5. There was also the option to use bigger guns like AK and M16's but to be honest my curiosity waned the bigger the guns became and after a while I decided that guns are not for me!!

We turned up, showed ID, chose some guns with the instructor who then came into the range and explained to us how to use the weapons safely. Perhaps it is worth looking into. They also sell weapons and had a decent level of English so perhaps they can help you out with buying too. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.swiss-shooting-range.com/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05.02.2019, 04:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

do I need a gun permit from KAPO for this??


Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at for this post:
  #24  
Old 05.02.2019, 06:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
do I need a gun permit from KAPO for this??


Maybe a permit from the fashion police?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 05.02.2019, 08:49
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,335
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,305 Times in 571 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

That's just an accident waiting to happen...

On a more positive note, went for my monthly shoot last night. They have a few new guns, including a FN five-seven (interesting, loud... and expensive ammo!)...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05.02.2019, 15:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,940
Groaned at 470 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 11,870 Times in 6,175 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
do I need a gun permit from KAPO for this??
Why would you need a permit for a picture?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05.02.2019, 15:21
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
do I need a gun permit from KAPO for this??
What has the KAPO to do with gun permits ?

Or to quote my favorite shomer Shabbos Catholic Vietnam vet: ”Shut up edzoom. You have no frame of reference here. You’re like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie …”
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10.03.2019, 15:47
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 170
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 138 Times in 72 Posts
rezak has earned some respectrezak has earned some respect
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

My 2 cents: I am a EU national with a B permit, and got waffenerwerbsschein for a "Feuerwaffe", however, as far as I understand, thanks to the fact that I had a gun licence (sport one, e.g. owning/transporting but now carrying) in my home country.
I went to the Stadtpolizei to deliver my application in person, and the officer there told me that with the B permit I don't have much chances for it being approved. Then I asked (without much hope) if the fact that I have already another country gun licence might help - and the guy said that it changes everything, and with that I have very good chances. So I attached the scan of the gun license to my application, got called for an interview a few weeks after, got asked just a couple of questions about shooting experience - and got the acquisition permit.
Once got the permit it kinda opens all doors - every time I apply for a range/shooting club/another weapon acquisition permit they raise eyebrows when they see my B permit, but showing them them the waffenerwerbsschein always solves the situation.

I think (and this is purely my speculation) that the police issue with B permits is not that you are not trustworthy in criminal sense (there is a background check for that), but that you are likely to leave the country soon, and they are afraid that you will just leave with the gun and illegally import it in your country without Swiss police being able to do anything (in fact the black list of countries citizens of which can not get a permit include countries where there is a high risk of conflicts, i.e. they think you might use it as a chance to get a gun for when you go home). Proving that you can as well buy a gun in your home country cancels this risk - thus they give you the permit.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rezak for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 10.03.2019, 17:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

And as you mentioned it matters very much which country you are from and your background/criminal history.
Quote:
View Post
My 2 cents: I am a EU national with a B permit, and got waffenerwerbsschein for a "Feuerwaffe", however, as far as I understand, thanks to the fact that I had a gun licence (sport one, e.g. owning/transporting but now carrying) in my home country.
I went to the Stadtpolizei to deliver my application in person, and the officer there told me that with the B permit I don't have much chances for it being approved. Then I asked (without much hope) if the fact that I have already another country gun licence might help - and the guy said that it changes everything, and with that I have very good chances. So I attached the scan of the gun license to my application, got called for an interview a few weeks after, got asked just a couple of questions about shooting experience - and got the acquisition permit.
Once got the permit it kinda opens all doors - every time I apply for a range/shooting club/another weapon acquisition permit they raise eyebrows when they see my B permit, but showing them them the waffenerwerbsschein always solves the situation.

I think (and this is purely my speculation) that the police issue with B permits is not that you are not trustworthy in criminal sense (there is a background check for that), but that you are likely to leave the country soon, and they are afraid that you will just leave with the gun and illegally import it in your country without Swiss police being able to do anything (in fact the black list of countries citizens of which can not get a permit include countries where there is a high risk of conflicts, i.e. they think you might use it as a chance to get a gun for when you go home). Proving that you can as well buy a gun in your home country cancels this risk - thus they give you the permit.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10.09.2019, 16:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bocman has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Guys, can anyone please advise what is next step after permit is given and gun is bought. Shall I sign up to one of the shooting clubs to able to go on shooting range?

Another topic for me, what are the additional expenses on top to the gun price and ammo to it. Insurance/Club contribution fee? how much is it approximately?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10.09.2019, 21:39
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 170
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 138 Times in 72 Posts
rezak has earned some respectrezak has earned some respect
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
Guys, can anyone please advise what is next step after permit is given and gun is bought. Shall I sign up to one of the shooting clubs to able to go on shooting range?

Another topic for me, what are the additional expenses on top to the gun price and ammo to it. Insurance/Club contribution fee? how much is it approximately?
There are different types of ranges, for example in Zurich:
Schiessanlage im Einkaufszentrum Tivoli (www.gassner-waffen.ch) allows you to just walk-in and get a line. You can buy a single line, 10 lines ticket or an abbo for 6 months or a year.
Others, like TSB (tsbirmensdorf.ch) for example are more like clubs: you can't even try on your own, you pay for a year and you go whenever you want.

You should estimate how many times you plan to go there per year and do some math + check the locations and whether the opening hours are suitable for what you want to do
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rezak for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 11.09.2019, 09:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rheinfelden
Posts: 485
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 121 Posts
Bexie has an excellent reputationBexie has an excellent reputationBexie has an excellent reputationBexie has an excellent reputation
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

As a general observation as a shooter;

If you go to a range for the first time to shoot with a hired weapon, they will ask you for ID, Permit and Passport (they will take copies) together with a police certificate to show that you do not have any offences that might exclude you from handling firearms.

To buy a weapon, in the most cases you will need the weapons aquisition certificate which is valid for 6 months. I have a 9mm at home; depending on the canton you need to show that you take reasonable steps to keep the weapon secure and ammunition seperated. Just good practice anyway.

As a reason, the best is for sport. There are many ranges around and you can shoot freely at them. If you want to go rifle shooting, long distance weapons are tricky to find a range that will allow them, eg a .338 Lapua round trashes the ranges sensors too much so there are not so many ranges that allow them (I was told this by someone in the Swiss Military since I was thinking of buying one) , but the more standard rifle round sizes are permissable.

If you want to go hunting, there will be hunting societies (good luck) in Aargau for example the Canton needs to keep the levels of wild boar down...

Happy shooting
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Bexie for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 11.09.2019, 11:46
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,335
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,305 Times in 571 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
As a general observation as a shooter;

If you go to a range for the first time to shoot with a hired weapon, they will ask you for ID, Permit and Passport (they will take copies) together with a police certificate to show that you do not have any offences that might exclude you from handling firearms.
Depends on the range... I regularly go to one (at least every 2 months, but more often once a month). They never took any photocopies of anything. They asked to see an ID (no B permit or anything else). I've been shooting with guests who were visiting from the UK without issues either. No criminal record requested either to rent/shoot.

The most challenge I've had tends to be when they see I have a British passport... I then get either questions about how "we could allow the UK government to steal our weapons", or about brexit...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Spinal for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 11.09.2019, 12:00
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,266 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
Depends on the range... I regularly go to one (at least every 2 months, but more often once a month). They never took any photocopies of anything. They asked to see an ID (no B permit or anything else). I've been shooting with guests who were visiting from the UK without issues either. No criminal record requested either to rent/shoot.

The most challenge I've had tends to be when they see I have a British passport... I then get either questions about how "we could allow the UK government to steal our weapons", or about brexit...
So these gun club officials don't appear to be the sharpest tools in the box then?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 11.09.2019, 12:21
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,502
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,131 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
Depends on the range... I regularly go to one (at least every 2 months, but more often once a month). They never took any photocopies of anything. They asked to see an ID (no B permit or anything else). I've been shooting with guests who were visiting from the UK without issues either. No criminal record requested either to rent/shoot.

The most challenge I've had tends to be when they see I have a British passport... I then get either questions about how "we could allow the UK government to steal our weapons", or about brexit...
I believe I go to the same range as Spinal. Great chance to practice your Swiss German. They check my I.D (Passport) and that's it. They haven't checked it the last few times but that might be because they now know my face.

The first time I was there the guy came onto the range with me and kept an eye on me until I'd gone through about 20 shots. I also had the conversations/interogations about why is Ireland so restrictive regarding firearm policy.

For purchasing a firearm, I requested a form from Ireland, went through the Gardai (Irish Police), they sent me a link to applying in Ireland.
I then contacted the embassy, who then sent my questions to the Gardai who then pointed to my local Garda station. So it looks like I'll be waiting for my C-Permit, or I might dig up my other citizenship and see what they say.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11.09.2019, 13:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 10,732
Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,638 Times in 8,014 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
So these gun club officials don't appear to be the sharpest tools in the box then?
Are they even Swiss?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11.09.2019, 13:45
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,289
Groaned at 48 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 5,530 Times in 2,118 Posts
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
That's just an accident waiting to happen...

On a more positive note, went for my monthly shoot last night. They have a few new guns, including a FN five-seven (interesting, loud... and expensive ammo!)...
i dig the five-seven, such a shame that it went ilegal in Mexico.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11.09.2019, 13:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
Simple:


An toy air rifle might not be a weapon. Victorinox knifes such as the Trailmaster and Hunter are not weapons (but might be forbidden weapons in the UK and other countries)

.
I love the fact you qualifed "toy" in front of air rifle. And in that case would be facinated to see what the definition of non-toy air rifle is.


My air rifles, i had as a teenager, were both 0.177 and 0.22. I can tell you even with the .177 with scope, I was lethal at up to 40 meters to to a variety of woodland creatures, to include Deer (consistent wth a max range I'd attempt with my Bow with clear view). Yes, to the unknowing, many shocked to hear I took down Deer with my 0.177 (heart lung shot) and with a pump air rifle (admittedly these things were a son of a B to pump, so you got one shot basically and it had to count due to rapport.


So wonder what the rules here in CH are - US I didn't need a license.


I got a 0.177 CO2 powered pistol into CH, in my luggage, no body checked. Intent was to knock of a few birds eating my grass seed, but my Wife..well confiscated it and thus killed my idea quite literally..thankfully so, i learned later it was illegal. soo...dead in the water so to speak.


Why do you want a gun..plenty of fun to be had with air rifles and bows..please save me the self defense crapola.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11.09.2019, 14:01
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
I love the fact you qualifed "toy" in front of air rifle. And in that case would be facinated to see what the definition of non-toy air rifle is.
A PCP air rifle.

I know someone who has several, he uses them for hunting deer and other large animals.

You need a special license for those.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11.09.2019, 14:08
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,335
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,305 Times in 571 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Acquisition Permit on a B-Permit (ZH)

Quote:
View Post
So these gun club officials don't appear to be the sharpest tools in the box then?
Not sure how you would come to that conclusion... They are friendly, know their stuff, and can hit a penny-sized grouping with pretty much anything. This is a sport after all, and it's quite odd how firearms are demonized in the UK. The way "gun crime" was defined and reported had to be changed a few years after 1996's new law given that gun crime kept increasing despite the new law... but I digress.

Quote:
View Post
So wonder what the rules here in CH are - US I didn't need a license.
If it looks enough like a real firearm (i.e. not bright orange), it's treated as a firearm. If it's bright orange, looks like a toy and air/CO2 powered with more than 7.5 joules of energy, then it's also a firearm.

Funny story, one of my support team ordered a non-functional, plastic, toy pistol from Germany for Halloween last year (as part of a costume). It got stopped at customs, and she had to go to an interview with the local cops to explain why she was trying to import firearms...

This is in Italian, but quite easy to understand even without Italian skills:
https://www.fedpol.admin.ch/dam/data...oschuere-i.pdf

m.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work permit (on paper), but no residence permit yet rettav Permits/visas/government 9 19.01.2014 15:48
[ZH] Dependent L permit under renewal - Can apply for Work Permit? boyInterrupted Permits/visas/government 3 18.10.2010 12:38
NON EU B PERMIT: Changing Canton...Implications on C Permit date aradhya Permits/visas/government 6 08.08.2010 11:54
Gun Permit ta70s Other/general 1 13.12.2008 13:40
Change Employer on L-permit AND extension of L-permit lcridd Permits/visas/government 1 07.05.2008 07:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0