Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.03.2018, 17:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Zürich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
konstanta has no particular reputation at present
Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Hello,
is it possible to entry for the period of 5-7 days to the UK with Swiss permit B for non EU citizen without necessity to have UK visa?

I saw infomation that it's possible to get free UK visa for Swiss permit B owners but without much details. I will be grateful if someone could share his experience about travelling to the UK with Swiss permit B.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at konstanta for this post:
  #2  
Old 16.03.2018, 18:03
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins
Posts: 6,596
Groaned at 200 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,384 Times in 4,605 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
Hello,
is it possible to entry for the period of 5-7 days to the UK with Swiss permit B for non EU citizen without necessity to have UK visa?.
No. The UK is not part of the Schengen area, so you need a valid passport and any visa requirements as if you were coming from your home country.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.03.2018, 09:24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 204
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
unbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthy
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

I just came back from UK on thursday. Well You cannot go to UK with swiss permit. You have to apply a short-term visa in zurich or geneva. There are 2 branches of TLSContact that handles the applications for UK.

Firstly, apply online in UK embassy website and you will got a GWF number and you will have a filled application form, check list from there. Print out these things. After that register to TLSContact. You should choose one of the branches. You will find a few weeks later in zurich but geneva is shorther that why I choose geneva.

Collect your documents (all documents must be in english, original, if a document is translated then it has to be noter approved) The documents are basically, Employment Verification Letter from your work, your rental proof, bank account letter, bank statements, original password and 2 photocopy, your swissID and 2 photochopy. (actually all must have 2 photocopies), your hotel booking, flight reservations, if you have a property, you can also put their papers.

With all documents, you go to your appointment, they will take your fingerprints and a biometric photo. Your passport has to stay there and they send probably Paris UK Embassy (as I know, maybe to UK) for the visa. The process takes around 15 working days. I paid 170 euro for visa fee and TLSContact. You can follow your application status in the TLSContact website. When u got a decision (could be also negative, never known..) you will get an email. You can get your passport from the TLScontact office or they can send you by post. They use DHL cargo which costs 30 euro to me

I got my visa one day before my travel So I highly advice you, apply visa at least 1 month ago before your travel to not have stress like me

When you are in the UK's airport, you will have to go All passport section and you will need to fill a small form. So you will need to write down your flight number, hotel full address etc. So make sure you have kind of data with you. The police will ask several questions that why are you here, where did you come from, what is your job etc. If everything is OK you will finally enter the UK. The good news, when you return from UK, there is no passport control (they do with the cameras automatically) at least London Luthon airport.

The visa process was a bit annoying but england (london) was so nice, people were mostly nice (except drivers), food is mostly cheaper than switzerland in london. If you will go to london, I highly recommend you to visit speaker corner in marble arch in weekends.

The last note: As I heard all museum in london is free entrance. We were in british museum free.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank unbalanced for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 17.03.2018, 10:37
sva's Avatar
sva sva is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: V/G, FR
Posts: 847
Groaned at 23 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 594 Times in 307 Posts
sva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

For CH residence / work permit holders, transit is possible

from https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/i...where_else/yes

Transiting without a visa
You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:

you arrive and depart by air
have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
One of the following must also apply:

you’re travelling to (or on part of a reasonable journey to) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
you’re travelling from (or on part of a reasonable journey from) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and it’s less than 6 months since you last entered that country with a valid entry visa
you have a residence permit issued by Australia or New Zealand

you have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland
you have a residence permit issued by Canada issued after 28 June 2002
you have a uniform format category D visa for entry to a country in the EEA or Switzerland
you have an Irish biometric visa (marked ‘BC’ or ‘BC BIVS’ in the ‘Remarks’ section) and an onward flight ticket to the Republic of Ireland
you’re travelling from the Republic of Ireland and it’s less than 3 months since you were last given permission, on the basis of holding a valid Irish biometric visa, to land or be in Ireland
you have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998
you have a valid USA I-551 Temporary Immigrant visa issued by the USA (a wet-ink stamp version will not be accepted)
you have an expired USA I-551 Permanent Residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998, with a valid I-797 letter authorising extension
you have a valid standalone US Immigration Form 155A/155B issued by the USA (attached to a sealed brown envelope)
You won’t be able to transit without a visa if a Border Force officer decides you don’t qualify under the immigration rules. You can apply for a transit visa before you travel if you’re unsure whether you qualify for transiting without a visa.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sva for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.04.2018, 11:32
qyh qyh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
qyh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
I just came back from UK on thursday. Well You cannot go to UK with swiss permit. You have to apply a short-term visa in zurich or geneva. There are 2 branches of TLSContact that handles the applications for UK.

Firstly, apply online in UK embassy website and you will got a GWF number and you will have a filled application form, check list from there. Print out these things. After that register to TLSContact. You should choose one of the branches. You will find a few weeks later in zurich but geneva is shorther that why I choose geneva.

Collect your documents (all documents must be in english, original, if a document is translated then it has to be noter approved) The documents are basically, Employment Verification Letter from your work, your rental proof, bank account letter, bank statements, original password and 2 photocopy, your swissID and 2 photochopy. (actually all must have 2 photocopies), your hotel booking, flight reservations, if you have a property, you can also put their papers.

With all documents, you go to your appointment, they will take your fingerprints and a biometric photo. Your passport has to stay there and they send probably Paris UK Embassy (as I know, maybe to UK) for the visa. The process takes around 15 working days. I paid 170 euro for visa fee and TLSContact. You can follow your application status in the TLSContact website. When u got a decision (could be also negative, never known..) you will get an email. You can get your passport from the TLScontact office or they can send you by post. They use DHL cargo which costs 30 euro to me

I got my visa one day before my travel So I highly advice you, apply visa at least 1 month ago before your travel to not have stress like me

When you are in the UK's airport, you will have to go All passport section and you will need to fill a small form. So you will need to write down your flight number, hotel full address etc. So make sure you have kind of data with you. The police will ask several questions that why are you here, where did you come from, what is your job etc. If everything is OK you will finally enter the UK. The good news, when you return from UK, there is no passport control (they do with the cameras automatically) at least London Luthon airport.

The visa process was a bit annoying but england (london) was so nice, people were mostly nice (except drivers), food is mostly cheaper than switzerland in london. If you will go to london, I highly recommend you to visit speaker corner in marble arch in weekends.

The last note: As I heard all museum in london is free entrance. We were in british museum free.

Have fun!
May I ask you if they collected your Permit B card as well? I am very worried because I am applying next week. Although my trip to UK is still more than 1 month ahead, I would need travel documents to fly to Italy in 2 and half weeks... A permit will be just fine, but I am afraid they might take away both passport and permit? Thanks a million for your kind answer!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.04.2018, 15:58
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 204
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
unbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthy
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
May I ask you if they collected your Permit B card as well? I am very worried because I am applying next week. Although my trip to UK is still more than 1 month ahead, I would need travel documents to fly to Italy in 2 and half weeks... A permit will be just fine, but I am afraid they might take away both passport and permit? Thanks a million for your kind answer!

Hello,

I just made 2 copies of my permit and I bring it with me. They just controlled it, thats all. You must give only your passport for the visa application.

Well, if I understand correctly, after you apply UK visa, you will go to italy. As I know, if you have only swiss permit, you will definitely need a passport. I saw myself, a guy who had only a swiss permit, tried to entered Germany by tram and german police controlled and they said, you need also your passport otherwise we dont know whether this permit is original or not. And they did not let him pass to germany. So If you go another schengen country, you will need your passport. There is no control actually but if they control and you dont show your passport, it may be problem.

The second thing, If you go UK and when you return to switzerland, you will also need to show your swiss permit + passport while entering switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.04.2018, 16:08
qyh qyh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
qyh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I just made 2 copies of my permit and I bring it with me. They just controlled it, thats all. You must give only your passport for the visa application.

Well, if I understand correctly, after you apply UK visa, you will go to italy. As I know, if you have only swiss permit, you will definitely need a passport. I saw myself, a guy who had only a swiss permit, tried to entered Germany by tram and german police controlled and they said, you need also your passport otherwise we dont know whether this permit is original or not. And they did not let him pass to germany. So If you go another schengen country, you will need your passport. There is no control actually but if they control and you dont show your passport, it may be problem.

The second thing, If you go UK and when you return to switzerland, you will also need to show your swiss permit + passport while entering switzerland.
Thank you so much, unbalanced,for your reply! Yes I am going to Italy, 16 days after I go to hand in my documents for UK visa application. If they do not take away my permit, I think I will give it a try. Because I take a flight to Italy and I'll do the online check-in and I will show my permit and a passport copy with the document that UK embassy is holding my passport. If this doesn't work. I'll take a flixbus The best thing would be to receive the visa before I leave. It took you exactly 15 working days?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.04.2018, 17:48
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 204
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
unbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthy
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

I forgot to say that there is an option that you dont need to give your passport to this place. But you have to pay more.You can find more information on their website. https://uk.tlscontact.com/ch/GEN/pag...0my%20passport

maybe it works for you...

and I applied my visa on 16.02.2018 and got the notification on 08.03.2018 and also they gave my passport to DHL on the same day and on 09.03.2018 I got my passport (from a pick point because I was not at home and I choose a pick point and afternoon I went to pick up it.) and yes its exactly 15 workdays.
For you it could be different. because my flight was on 10 of March so I had to take it at least 9th of March. Maybe thats why they sent me on 8th. So do not trust 15 days stuff. It may be a luck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.04.2018, 18:23
qyh qyh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
qyh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Hi! Thanks a lot for your more detailed information. I almost going to say you saved my life (which you would, otherwise), and I went about adding this service, then I discovered that this service and many others are provided only in Geneva! I can't believe such difference exists between the 2 centres in Switzerland! Zurich only left me to pay 217euro for the priority service or nothing...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.04.2018, 21:50
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 204
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
unbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthy
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
Hi! Thanks a lot for your more detailed information. I almost going to say you saved my life (which you would, otherwise), and I went about adding this service, then I discovered that this service and many others are provided only in Geneva! I can't believe such difference exists between the 2 centres in Switzerland! Zurich only left me to pay 217euro for the priority service or nothing...
then why you dont go to Geneva? I am living in Bern and I got my appointment in Geneva, so u can do that too. Just get half day/one day holiday from your work.. Its a bit far away but If u need your passport, try this.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.04.2018, 10:21
qyh qyh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
qyh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
then why you dont go to Geneva? I am living in Bern and I got my appointment in Geneva, so u can do that too. Just get half day/one day holiday from your work.. Its a bit far away but If u need your passport, try this.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I live in Zurich, but now I have booked a appointment in Geneva for this service. Do you think arriving 30min before the appointment is sufficient? My intended train will arrive 45min before the appointment to the Geneva train station and I see the way to the application centre is about 5min by foot.

I will post my experience to this forum, to return the help I get from here. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank qyh for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.04.2018, 13:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: LAUSANNE
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alexii has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Hi,


Sharing my experience: swiss permit gives visa-free accesss only to Schengen area, but not UK/Ireland. In order to go there I had to apply for visa. There is no big issues in getting UK visa (being in Switzerland), but a lot of time consuming paperwork and Lausanne-Geneva trips in my case. I did it twice and all was done in 3 weaks or so.



What's also annoying for me is "quite big" long-term visa price (comparing to Schengen visa, etc.).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.04.2018, 14:33
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 204
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
unbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthy
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I live in Zurich, but now I have booked a appointment in Geneva for this service. Do you think arriving 30min before the appointment is sufficient? My intended train will arrive 45min before the appointment to the Geneva train station and I see the way to the application centre is about 5min by foot.

I will post my experience to this forum, to return the help I get from here. Thanks a lot!

I waited in the office around 1 hour. Because there was only one guy working on friday. I do not know whether it is always like that or not. He was handling filing. And there was another man who took fingerprints and your photo. My process took only 5-10 mins. So if you go earlier there, it could be good. First you have to give your first page of the application form to information and you will pay what you need to pay. They will ask how you will get your visa. If you say, they should send by post, you need to pay 30 euro like I did. Otherwise, you should go to get your visa. In your case, you will neeed to return your passport for visa because you will take it back with you. When they decide to give you a visa you need to send your passport to them. I dont know how this works. Maybe you should go personally or by post. You should take 2 copies of each original documents. Bring also your oroginal documents. If something missing, you can copy there. I think a page was 0.5 frank.

After information, a staff will say to you, go to the next room and you will go and sit there. On the screen you will see your name then u can go the staff who does the filing things. After he checked your documents, he will give you back all. Because they scan all documents send them electronically so I got my all files back. After that, you will see your name on another screen, and then you go a room to take a photo and fingerprints. Before the process, he will say, say your name-surname and birthday by looking the camera on top-edge.

I went there by car so I dont know how far it is from the station. Its a big building, click here to see on map
u see, maxim's (not the white door, there is a passageway on the right side of the white door) .. you should enter this place, tlscontact writing next to the entrance door, its difficult to see. After you entered and walked a bit, there is an elevator on the right side. so you can use also stairs.

I think, your time schedule is fine.

Note: they do not accept post finance or another local bank card. you have to have cash ( I know u can pay with euro but not sure for swiss frank) or credit card. Bring with u also some coins for photocopy if u need or u can also use your credit card for photocopy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.04.2018, 10:26
qyh qyh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
qyh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Hi unbalanced, thank you for your detailed reply! That's very helpful. I am just wondering which documents need 2 photocopies? Just the necessary documents (passport, permit), right? Because I will bring at least 20 pages of additional supporting documents (support letters, bank info, hotel, flight...) and they are themselves printouts, should I then print 3 times, that will be like a book! And if they scan them anyway... I just don't understand because if in the end I need to copy there, it will be another 20 francs, possibly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.04.2018, 11:17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 204
Groaned at 22 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
unbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthyunbalanced is considered unworthy
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
Hi unbalanced, thank you for your detailed reply! That's very helpful. I am just wondering which documents need 2 photocopies? Just the necessary documents (passport, permit), right? Because I will bring at least 20 pages of additional supporting documents (support letters, bank info, hotel, flight...) and they are themselves printouts, should I then print 3 times, that will be like a book! And if they scan them anyway... I just don't understand because if in the end I need to copy there, it will be another 20 francs, possibly. Thanks!
you need to copy only the original files..
I just made 2 copies for my passport (the page where my information is written), my work permit, rent proof (i asked it in english), account proof (this shows how much money I have in my account. This is not the statement but its good you bring the statement, and not need copies). I think thats all.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.04.2018, 23:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: LAUSANNE
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alexii has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Quote:
View Post
My intended train will arrive 45min before the appointment to the Geneva train station and I see the way to the application centre is about 5min by foot.

Concerning the time you need to get to the visa center: 45 min should be more then enough. it's about 10 minutes walking from train station.

For those, who will come to Geneva for the 1st time - it's better to go to underground crossing strait from the traing station and avoid crossing the streat with a lot of cars and trams.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.04.2018, 14:52
qyh qyh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
qyh has no particular reputation at present
Re: Visit to the UK with Swiss permit B

Today I went to the UK visa center in Geneva. I was there 40 min earlier than my appointment, unnecessary. I was invited inside to sit down and wait a bit after my appointment time. And inside I waited another 15min to hand in my documents.

Staff are friendly and not strict or indifferent as generally seen in French part, as compared to what is expected in a German-speaking Buro. You can talk with them.

It's easier than expected. Actually only passport and permit copy is needed, just so that they can put all the A4 documents into the scan machine. Then all documents will be returned to you. The biometrics are taken, then voila, finished!

My case: I keep my passport (60euro), once I receive a notification I will send by post my passport and I pay for a courier service (32chf) to receive it back.

I will update this post about the time I get notified about the outcome of my visa.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EEA Family Permit to visit UK MrsJPS General off-topic 15 28.05.2016 13:42
UK citizen to marry Swiss resident with F permit phosa Permits/visas/government 6 03.07.2015 14:08
7week old baby with C permit travel to the UK? Davidinzurich Permits/visas/government 23 17.12.2013 21:32
Non EU with B permit to work in the UK Mowvich Permits/visas/government 1 14.02.2009 20:28
Visa requirement for L Permit holder to visit UK Priyank Permits/visas/government 3 03.06.2007 09:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0