Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11.09.2020, 22:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Dariush has earned some respectDariush has earned some respect
did you apply via normal path or facilitated? the citizenship law says any Swiss language and that you have to select once you fill up the form , but the trick is that your interview will happen in both cases in local gemeinde where you are registered and live. so it all really depends on the local gemeinde if they have knowledge of French or not and if they ask you questions like, if you dont speak German, how do you communicate with people around you from this community ? so i guess you need an answer for that.
my case i interviewed with one person (facilitated) but my colleague and his family interviewed with 9 persons (gemeinde next to us) and they also had to stand in the middle of the sportshaal (gemeindeversamlung meeting) and introduce themselves in local language. so my advise is, learn the basic words and sentences in German so if they asked you could show some very basic skills.

Cheers and good luck
Darius

Quote:
View Post
It is a Swiss wide rule and in case of facilitate naturalization the canton has not much to say.

For language requirement for facilitated we have to look into the Swiss Citizenship Act (Which btw. is available in English).

The language requirement are defined in Art. 20 with reference to Art. 12. Fluency in one of the national languages is good enough. See also Section 512/12 of Chapter 5 of the SEM Handbook https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/de/home...rgerrecht.html
well Canton asks local gemeinde to conduct the interview and fill up the protocol which will be sent back to canton and then to Bund(federal). so Gemeinde, kanton have loads to say and impact the process. if they dont rate the interview good, Federal wont really challenge it I guess unless they want to conduct their own interview. so canton can say the person is not well integrated because of bla bla bla while he paid all his taxes, didnt take social help and didnt poke somebody in the eye. of course you have then to go to court if you want to challenge the interview protocol and conclusion.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 21.11.2020 at 20:40. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12.09.2020, 15:34
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,144
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,847 Times in 8,391 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
...Gemeinde, kanton have loads to say and impact the process. if they dont rate the interview good, Federal wont really challenge it.
That's not how I understood it at all, based on what was explained to me in my facilitated naturalization interview. The law is federal, thus the feds are the ones with the "loads to say".

The locals and canton just handle the interview and paperwork. The officer who interviewed me said that unless you're a criminal on social help who can't speak a word of any Swiss language, or unless they think you're in a sham marriage, the municipality can't really object. If the municipality recommends rejection, the feds can contact your references, schedule their own interview with you, etc. should they need further info to decide.

He also said municipalities don't have a lot of wiggle room. There's a standard list of questions for everyone set by the feds. The locals can ask some additional stuff, but they can't object based on a question that is not on the approved list.

Example: He could ask me to name the Gemeinde president and the local football team. However since the federal rules/questions don't require me to know that, he can't do anything except be disappointed if I don't know the answer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 13.09.2020, 22:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bern
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SwissAnni has no particular reputation at present
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Hello everyone
My interview went well. It was about 45 minutes. The questions were not as hard as I expected and the lady told me I was her best applicant so far.
How long does one wait after the interview to hear from the SEM?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SwissAnni for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 13.09.2020, 22:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Dariush has earned some respectDariush has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
That's not how I understood it at all, based on what was explained to me in my facilitated naturalization interview. The law is federal, thus the feds are the ones with the "loads to say".

The locals and canton just handle the interview and paperwork. The officer who interviewed me said that unless you're a criminal on social help who can't speak a word of any Swiss language, or unless they think you're in a sham marriage, the municipality can't really object. If the municipality recommends rejection, the feds can contact your references, schedule their own interview with you, etc. should they need further info to decide.

He also said municipalities don't have a lot of wiggle room. There's a standard list of questions for everyone set by the feds. The locals can ask some additional stuff, but they can't object based on a question that is not on the approved list.

Example: He could ask me to name the Gemeinde president and the local football team. However since the federal rules/questions don't require me to know that, he can't do anything except be disappointed if I don't know the answer.
well you got a point there and i,m hoping it is as you say. most probably bund being the decision maker is interested in responses to its own questions.

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone
My interview went well. It was about 45 minutes. The questions were not as hard as I expected and the lady told me I was her best applicant so far.
How long does one wait after the interview to hear from the SEM?
good to hear! well done. my interviewer mentioned up to 6 months. i saw in this forum somebody mentioned 3-4months. I wouldnt be necessarily complaining tho if i hear from them by the end of the year. some good reason to celebrate year end holidays.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 21.11.2020 at 20:40. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dariush for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 24.09.2020, 15:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: lausanne
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
lsnguy has no particular reputation at present
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Hello all, I am in the process to collect all my documents to apply for a facilitated naturalization in canton Vaud. I have a question regarding one of the documents
Certificat de famille original de date récente/ Max 6 mois, délivré par l'officier de l'état civil du lieu d'origine du conjoint suisse

Is this my marriage certificate or something from my wife's side. Her place of origin is in ticino even though she has never lived there and we got married in Lausanne. So not sure which office to contact.

Any help is much appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 24.09.2020, 17:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 1,057
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,895 Times in 723 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
Hello all, I am in the process to collect all my documents to apply for a facilitated naturalization in canton Vaud. I have a question regarding one of the documents
Certificat de famille original de date récente/ Max 6 mois, délivré par l'officier de l'état civil du lieu d'origine du conjoint suisse

Is this my marriage certificate or something from my wife's side. Her place of origin is in ticino even though she has never lived there and we got married in Lausanne. So not sure which office to contact.

Any help is much appreciated
Its your "family book" you recieved when you got married.
You can order a copy online at https://secure.vd.ch/prestations/geststarfoa/

Or pick one up directly at Office de l'état civil de Lausanne

Last edited by Sigh; 24.09.2020 at 17:09. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 24.09.2020, 18:09
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
Is this my marriage certificate or something from my wife's side. Her place of origin is in ticino even though she has never lived there and we got married in Lausanne. So not sure which office to contact.
Doesn't matter if she never lived there. Place of origin is where the register is kept up to date, has all the information and where she has to request the documents.
https://www.ch.ch/en/ordering-civil-...-certificates/
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 29.09.2020, 19:41
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,348
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,490 Times in 644 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Got my letter today - I am officially Swiss


And then I went online to order my ID and passport, only to be told that it is too soon and I should try again in two weeks Oh well - it isn't like I need it to travel anywhere any time soon...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank DantesDame for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 30.09.2020, 03:02
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,871
Groaned at 179 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 6,151 Times in 3,377 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Some advice here : If you want to become swiss , never complain about church or cowbell noise
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 30.09.2020, 06:33
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,734
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,286 Times in 2,878 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
Got my letter today - I am officially Swiss


And then I went online to order my ID and passport, only to be told that it is too soon and I should try again in two weeks Oh well - it isn't like I need it to travel anywhere any time soon...
Congratulations! Yes, I had to order a heimatschein from my Heimatort & deliver it to my Gemeinde... only then was everything updated and I could make a passport appointment. In fact I think I still got an email from the passport office telling me I wasn’t Swiss.... I replied saying that I was “just”, not sure what happened then but they gave me an appointment!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #71  
Old 30.09.2020, 14:02
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,144
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,847 Times in 8,391 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
Congratulations! Yes, I had to order a heimatschein from my Heimatort & deliver it to my Gemeinde... only then was everything updated and I could make a passport appointment. In fact I think I still got an email from the passport office telling me I wasn’t Swiss.... I replied saying that I was “just”, not sure what happened then but they gave me an appointment!
Same here. You think you're done but nope, there's another little detail and of course a bill to go with it.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02.10.2020, 15:48
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 700
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 797 Times in 361 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Here is my experience of applying for facilitated naturalisation, perhaps it will help someone:

Wife is swiss, we had lived in CH for 8 years at point of application.

Asked Gemeinde for the form in June 2019
Submitted form with everything (fide results, all other ppwk) in October 2019
Received confirmation of application in October 2019, it said the process could take up to 18 months.
Received bill for 900 CHF at the end of October, paid in November
Called for Interview in July 2020 (we were in Germany at the time)
Interview took place early August 2020, I didn’t need to bring anything with me but the interviewer (Kantonspolizei, it took place at one of their stations in an interview room) had asked me to bring ID which was not checked.

Interview was in three parts (she asked first whether it was to be in High German or Dialect, I said Dialect was fine).

First part was general questions about the form, about my wife and my recent working history in CH, why I want to become Swiss
The second part was some fairly easy questions (Who is the Swiss national hero often seen with a crossbow, how long is the Bundespräsident/in elected for, name 3 famous swiss people...)
The third part was a bit more in-depth about the history/politics of Switzerland (including who Calvin and Zwingli were, what do we mean by democracy...)

Early September SEM asked for two forms to be returned, specifically these were slightly adapted declarations on our marriage (Erklärung betreffend eheliche Gemeinschaft) and my observing the rule of law (Erklärung betreffend öffentlichen Sicherheit und Ordnung), both of which were returned the next working day.
Beginning of October I received the '30 days' letter whereby the local Gemeinde and Heimatort can oppose the naturalisation process.

The above is all of the dealings I have had with anyone in ‘authority’ regarding the application, as you can see, there are lots of gaps.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Homer for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 02.10.2020, 15:53
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,144
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,847 Times in 8,391 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
Here is my experience of applying for facilitated naturalisation, perhaps it will help someone.
Sweet! You'll be officially Swiss before Christmas! Congrats!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 03.10.2020, 22:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Dariush has earned some respectDariush has earned some respect
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
Beginning of October I received the '30 days' letter whereby the local Gemeinde and Heimatort can oppose the naturalisation process..
Merry Christmass...Ho Ho Ho!!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 27.10.2020, 18:43
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: zürich
Posts: 127
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
patrickk has earned some respectpatrickk has earned some respect
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
This is for a facilitated naturalisation?

Mine was in Zurich and it took less than 3 months start to finish, a bit of form filling, a few personal docs (birth cert, marriage cert and passport) and a random unannounced 20 min visit to our place from a couple of local plod to whom we served coffee and chatted (in German) about the UK.

Next thing I know, we got a confirmation in the registered post and had to pay an eye-watering fee directly to the postie and that was it. Boom - Swiss.

Is it common to have unannounced visit at home ? What is the point ? to check that you really live there ?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12.11.2020, 12:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
pcsilla has no particular reputation at present
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

2 weeks ago I got my Swiss passport and ID card. 🤗
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank pcsilla for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 13.11.2020, 11:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
kar84 has no particular reputation at present
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Thanks to everyone for this super detailed thread. I just found out today I can begin my facilitated process, and I just have one question, particularly if anyone living in Zurich went through the process in Bern. How important is the "proof of integration"? I have B2 German, but I'm not great with swiss german, and I have plenty of Swiss friends, but I don't really belong to any clubs or organizations? Not sure what I could submit for something like this.

Can anyone share their experience?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 15.11.2020, 02:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Dariush has earned some respectDariush has earned some respect
Quote:
View Post
Thanks to everyone for this super detailed thread. I just found out today I can begin my facilitated process, and I just have one question, particularly if anyone living in Zurich went through the process in Bern. How important is the "proof of integration"? I have B2 German, but I'm not great with swiss german, and I have plenty of Swiss friends, but I don't really belong to any clubs or organizations? Not sure what I could submit for something like this.

Can anyone share their experience?
Proof of integration is quite important and key to your success basically. your B2 German is sufficient as you dont need to speak dialect. even if they asked you , you can simply ask them to speak in high german. being member of a club or organisation is not necessary but being part of one definitely helps. I know of people who named their company groups or even toast masters. your Swiss friends do help so reference them in your application(there is a session asking for names and address in case they wanna get in touch with them).

its all already said in this thread really but proof of integration is , local language(for you high german) knowing Swiss history, politicks( local and federal), Geography and traditions, name of foods, drinks , museums etc & that you understand social and insurance system here + that you paid taxes, didn't endanger security and are not planning to do so.

Voila...easy ha? haha good luck.

Quote:
View Post
2 weeks ago I got my Swiss passport and ID card. 🤗
Great!! congrats. i did my interview early Sept....no news yet..radio silence...do know tho that interviewer sent her report to Kanton Aargau on 07.09 )

Last edited by 3Wishes; 21.11.2020 at 20:41. Reason: merging consecutive replies; please use multi-quote
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 15.11.2020, 15:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: geneve
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vnkts has no particular reputation at present
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
2 weeks ago I got my Swiss passport and ID card. 🤗
when did you start the process actually?

what was the time between interview and you getting a confirmation from the federal?

WERE there any reference checks ? do you know?

please let me know.

i had submitted my application and paid the initial Sfr 900 apx in March 2019, i had my cantonal interview only in october 2020. I am from geneva.

since the application took so long to be processed initially i am hoping if they could atleast do the remaining process quicker.

I am keeping fingers crossed
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 15.11.2020, 16:44
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,734
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,286 Times in 2,878 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Facilitated Naturalization application experience

Quote:
View Post
when did you start the process actually?

what was the time between interview and you getting a confirmation from the federal?

WERE there any reference checks ? do you know?

please let me know.

i had submitted my application and paid the initial Sfr 900 apx in March 2019, i had my cantonal interview only in october 2020. I am from geneva.

since the application took so long to be processed initially i am hoping if they could atleast do the remaining process quicker.

I am keeping fingers crossed
You paid 900 upfront? Are you doing facilitated or normal naturalisation?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
facilitated naturalization - Swiss mother, lost my citizenship at age 22 mariecamino Permits/visas/government 6 06.10.2019 22:28
All My Experience - Facilitated Naturalization Kraft Permits/visas/government 65 14.07.2017 18:03
My facilitated naturalisation experience Rico09 Permits/visas/government 1 31.05.2016 15:56
facilitated naturalization application - some advice? cwladis Permits/visas/government 0 07.04.2013 18:10
Facilitated naturalization while abroad? [Waiting time and Experience] johnny81 Permits/visas/government 7 27.07.2009 11:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0