Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29.01.2019, 20:24
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AusStudent has no particular reputation at present
Student Visa Extension (Type B) - Non EU

Hi all,

I've had a solid browse over the existing threads and haven't seem to have found the answers to my questions. These could be interesting to others that find themselves in a similar position. If any have been answered, then please direct me accordingly - thank you.

Very well, please assume financial stability, here are my questions:

1. If a student visa (type B) expires before the date of the last exam, is it possible to extend the visa?

2. Does anyone have experience with extending their student visa? If so, may you please share your knowledge in relation to this experience? I.e. What is the process like? What was the reason for extension? Can an extension be rejected given finances aren't a problem?

3. Is the reason for extension considered, i.e. does failing an exam inhibit your ability to extend a student visa?

4. Can you remain enrolled in a Swiss university and not reside in Switzerland? I.e. If you cannot extend the student visa, does that mean you are forced to go back home (in my case Australia), and then fly back for the final exam in January?

5. Are you able to study on a working visa? I.e. Assume someone gains meaningful employment whilst previously on a student visa, will they be able to remain enrolled in the University and sit a final exam?

6. Is it even possible, however unlikely, that a non EU can gain meaningful employment whilst on a student Visa and then continue to study? (Please assume that the company that applies for the visa on behalf of the student can also prove that a Swiss citizen cannot be found, and that continuance of study is in the form of a singular exam)

7. Is it even possible to hold multiple visas at the one time? (i.e. Working visa and Student visa; will you have to give up one for the other?)

Background: I am Non-EU. I have one exam left which is the final form of assessment left to complete the degree (I.e. Thesis has been completed). This issue has resulted from failing a mandatory exam, with the earliest available resit a year from the previous one. As a result, my student visa will expire before the opportunity to take the resit. I am anxious that due to my failure to prepare adequately for an exam, it will not be possible to attain my masters degree. This is the first and only time I have failed - there are reasons for the failure, but, this does not change the result.
Reply With Quote
Old 10.02.2019, 20:29
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 247
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: Student Visa Extension (Type B) - Non EU

1) Depends on the basis. What year are you in? Are you coming back the next semester?

2) Pretty much the same as the yearly permit renewals, so yes.

3) I cant say, but I know people who stay as tourists to finish it (as an aussie, that shouldnt be a problem)

4) Back to question 1, for how long are you enrolled for? And not immediately since you can stay as a tourist after.

5) Why not? There are student permits that allow for work. Working has no implications on university or taking an exam. Its two separate things.

6) Why do you want to go back to school AFTER getting an employer to sponsor you for a WORK permit...

7) No.

Tough situation. Good luck. I would push more on the uni side for an earlier resit. The authorities, I feel, will not be sympathetic.

Since you failed and did not get the Masters you also do not benefit from the 6 months of L you would get for job-hunting.
Reply With Quote
Old 11.02.2019, 15:21
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AusStudent has no particular reputation at present
Re: Student Visa Extension (Type B) - Non EU

Thanks for your reply!

I would just like to say that the University have been kind enough to allow a resit (before expiration). Phew. Definitely provides some comfort. As well as providing motivation without the severe consequences - thank you world. Lesson duly noted.

1) I am in my final year, now with only the thesis to compete (and the resit).

5) Great. I was concerned that visas and there provision for intent could be treated as mutually exclusive, i.e. we've allowed you in the country for work, and not study.

6) An ego thing. Personally, I like to finish things I've started (apparently not very well though given my fail!). Albeit, my perception is that getting a job is inevitable, and only a matter of time, whereas, finishing a degree is a choice. Moreover, I believe the Masters degree may be used as evidence as acceptability for a future job opportunity. Sure, a bachelors degree and the right attitude could grant you an entry level job, but later in life I believe having that piece of paper with the word "masters" on it could help favourably tilt the scales my direction.
Reply With Quote

exam, extension, non eu, student, visa

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work permit type for spouse of student B visa (non EU), cantonal restrictions on work sukanyan Permits/visas/government 10 30.11.2018 10:36
Working permit for Non-EU spouse of a Non-EU PhD student with D visa Suhua Permits/visas/government 2 22.04.2018 01:17
non EU visa extension christineo Permits/visas/government 0 13.11.2011 19:30
B-permit extension for a spouse of a Non-EU student vlad_island Permits/visas/government 0 24.10.2011 09:51
Student Visa (D type), NON-EU, Aargau, Work permit cryptosaur Permits/visas/government 0 15.10.2011 18:33

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0