Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.02.2019, 07:29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoblu has no particular reputation at present
How to get Work Visa - Help/Advice needed!

Hey EF,

Currently looking to move to the VAUD Canton around the month of July (Visa permitting).

Getting married next year (to a Swiss native) but would like to move ahead of time to get used to the culture and lifestyle.

I've contacted the Swiss embassy here in Canada (from toronto) and the options they gave me is either a work visa or family reunion visa. However, for the family reunion visa, a common law relationship is needed, which we are not, as my Gf lives in Lausanne.

I don't have a university degree or held a management position in the past. My education is in Architectural Technology.

Does anyone have any tips or experience they would like to share that can help me on my search for a job and work visa? Maybe the fields that hire the most foreign workers or perhaps an agency that deals with entry visa employment.


Thank you,
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.02.2019, 23:31
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 247
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: How to get Work Visa - Help/Advice needed!

This will be tough as a non-EU citizen. I am not familiar with your field but if you get a job offer THEN you can apply for a visa. If you apply without a job, you will be rejected. You are a non-EU and not swiss, thus you will not be considered first for a job, especially if there are others also looking. If however, you were married, this will not be the case.



I would network, find companies in your field and reach out. See if your qualifications are transferable and recognized. Do you speak french?



If you really want to go faster, just get married in a civil ceremony, go for family reunification and then go ahead with your planned marriage next year. With a permit in hand, your job search will be much easier!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.03.2019, 07:50
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,001
Groaned at 449 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 18,165 Times in 10,122 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get Work Visa - Help/Advice needed!

Quote:
View Post
Hey EF,

Currently looking to move to the VAUD Canton around the month of July (Visa permitting).

Getting married next year (to a Swiss native) but would like to move ahead of time to get used to the culture and lifestyle.

I've contacted the Swiss embassy here in Canada (from toronto) and the options they gave me is either a work visa or family reunion visa. However, for the family reunion visa, a common law relationship is needed, which we are not, as my Gf lives in Lausanne.

I don't have a university degree or held a management position in the past. My education is in Architectural Technology.

Does anyone have any tips or experience they would like to share that can help me on my search for a job and work visa? Maybe the fields that hire the most foreign workers or perhaps an agency that deals with entry visa employment.


Thank you,
It's just not that easy. There are a limited number of permits available for non-EU hiring. Agencies can't help since the employer has to apply for a permit on your behalf and they have to show they can't find a Swiss/EU national who could do the job. Also in most cases you need to hold a university degree plus have several years of experience in your field of expertise. The non-EU hiring criteria is outlined here.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...zulassung.html

Because it takes time and money to make the application most employers won't try unless they're pretty sure they'll be successful.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.03.2019, 07:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoblu has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
This will be tough as a non-EU citizen. I am not familiar with your field but if you get a job offer THEN you can apply for a visa. If you apply without a job, you will be rejected. You are a non-EU and not swiss, thus you will not be considered first for a job, especially if there are others also looking. If however, you were married, this will not be the case.



I would network, find companies in your field and reach out. See if your qualifications are transferable and recognized. Do you speak french?



If you really want to go faster, just get married in a civil ceremony, go for family reunification and then go ahead with your planned marriage next year. With a permit in hand, your job search will be much easier!
Thank you for the reply, I do speak french. We're trying to avoid getting married for a visa so we can have our civil and traditional wedding next year. From my research so far it does seem a little tough since i don't have a university degree.

Quote:
View Post
It's just not that easy. There are a limited number of permits available for non-EU hiring. Agencies can't help since the employer has to apply for a permit on your behalf and they have to show they can't find a Swiss/EU national who could do the job. Also in most cases you need to hold a university degree plus have several years of experience in your field of expertise. The non-EU hiring criteria is outlined here.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...zulassung.html

Because it takes time and money to make the application most employers won't try unless they're pretty sure they'll be successful.
Thank you for your reply, what you're saying seems to be the most common answer I find. They haven't made it easy, I imagine it's to encourage locals to apply and look within Europe.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 08.03.2019 at 11:33. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.03.2019, 09:03
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 247
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: How to get Work Visa - Help/Advice needed!

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for the reply, I do speak french. We're trying to avoid getting married for a visa so we can have our civil and traditional wedding next year. From my research so far it does seem a little tough since i don't have a university degree.
Perhaps a concubine visa? You donít have to get married, but I think you need a lot of supporting documents
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed to get D Visa Murale 21 Permits/visas/government 1 31.07.2014 19:54
Help me :( [need advice how to get more inhouse training on new responsibilities] Salisuster Complaints corner 17 29.04.2013 21:07
help? guys? [Dating advice needed to "get back on the market"] yakari Other/general 89 21.01.2013 12:22
Australian looking for advice on how to get work within banking in Switzerland pek_khi1 Employment 9 11.02.2012 20:09
Advice is needed: how to get a child to year 2 of Swiss Kindergarten? lana Family matters/health 19 01.04.2008 17:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0