Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.03.2019, 16:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
cloudz has no particular reputation at present
Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Hi there, does anyone know if there is an issue with having a non-EU work permit B but spending >6 months temporarily outside Switzerland in one or several trips?

In case there is an issue, would it be avoided by my returning to Switzerland for a couple of weeks in the middle of the time I will be away (my current permit will expire in the middle of the time so I guess I have to come back to renew it anyway)? I am not sure whether the border system has been integrated together with the local residence system.

My temporal leaving (around 6 months) is mainly for the academic visiting purpose. Thus, my employment status will be kept by my employer institution while I am away. I would assume that I could sublet my flat while keeping my postal address. Shall I de-register myself and re-apply from scratch when I am back? To save the hassle, can I just quietly go without giving notice? To that end, I am even willing to continue paying my health insurance when I am away...

I vaguely remembered hearing horrifying stories about the 6-month limit but cannot find the source anymore. Will go to Kreiburo anyway but still look forward to some insights here. Any inputs will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.03.2019, 16:52
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,318
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,350 Times in 9,734 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

You can be away for up to 6 months before the permit becomes invalid. However, if it needs to be renewed then that's going to have to be done and you'll probably need to be here for that to happen.

DON'T deregister because your employer would then probably have to go through the whole non-EU hiring process again.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.03.2019, 17:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
cloudz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Thanks!
So it means that I can leave for up to 6 months without notice as long as I pay taxes and buy insurances etc.? Is this a requirement for one single trip, or I can be outside of Switzerland maximally for 6 months in total within 1 year of residence regardless of the number of trips?

Quote:
View Post
You can be away for up to 6 months before the permit becomes invalid. However, if it needs to be renewed then that's going to have to be done and you'll probably need to be here for that to happen.

DON'T deregister because your employer would then probably have to go through the whole non-EU hiring process again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.03.2019, 21:04
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,208
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 19,228 Times in 8,519 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

I think technically you can take several trips, and it's 6 months max on one trip.

BUT...there might be tax implications in another country if you're there more than X number of days

AND if you're gone more than you're here, the Swiss authorities might question whether you actually need to be a resident here or if you could live somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.03.2019, 10:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
cloudz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Thanks for the input. I just went back from Kreisburo and here is some information that people in similar situations may find useful.

The counting of the 6 months limit seems to re-start 6 months after one's previous trip. For example, one could travel for a month in January 2019, come back, and travel again for 6 months from August 2019 to January 2020.

One tricky thing is the renewal of residence permit. One has to show up in person to submit the application and wait for the new permit. A lot of hassles if the permit expires at the middle of the trip. The early renewal that can be done maximally 3 months in advance does not help much in that situation.

Quote:
View Post
I think technically you can take several trips, and it's 6 months max on one trip.

BUT...there might be tax implications in another country if you're there more than X number of days

AND if you're gone more than you're here, the Swiss authorities might question whether you actually need to be a resident here or if you could live somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.03.2019, 11:16
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 122 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 11,014 Times in 4,834 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
The counting of the 6 months limit seems to re-start 6 months after one's previous trip. For example, one could travel for a month in January 2019, come back, and travel again for 6 months from August 2019 to January 2020.
I asked the same question at Migrationsamt in 2017 and was told that I was allowed a total of 182 days outside of Switzerland in any 12mth period. It did get a bit tricky continuously recalculating this. I ended up being away for 178 days during one 12mth period, and had to send my OH to the UK for a week on my behalf, because I couldn't risk being out of the country.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 06.03.2019, 22:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
cloudz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Yeah, this is similar to what I was told today. So far I have not found the relevant official document specifying this rule, though.
Quote:
View Post
I asked the same question at Migrationsamt in 2017 and was told that I was allowed a total of 182 days outside of Switzerland in any 12mth period. It did get a bit tricky continuously recalculating this. I ended up being away for 178 days during one 12mth period, and had to send my OH to the UK for a week on my behalf, because I couldn't risk being out of the country.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06.03.2019, 23:32
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 122 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 11,014 Times in 4,834 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, this is similar to what I was told today. So far I have not found the relevant official document specifying this rule, though.
I was searching online for ages too. It was clear for L permits, but not for B, so I went to my Gemeinde and backed it up by calling into Migrationsamt in Oerlikon when I was in the area one day.

They were a great help in clarifying the matter to me, and it is a bit of a pickle to work out because the 'start' date changes daily. I ended up with it all plotted out on a word doc and working backwards all the time, so if I had a trip coming up, I could see how long I'd been out of the country in the last 10/11 months, and work out how many days I could be away in the next 4-8 weeks.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 08.03.2019, 15:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
cloudz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Thanks! Super helpful! I am doing it now as well.

Quote:
View Post
I was searching online for ages too. It was clear for L permits, but not for B, so I went to my Gemeinde and backed it up by calling into Migrationsamt in Oerlikon when I was in the area one day.

They were a great help in clarifying the matter to me, and it is a bit of a pickle to work out because the 'start' date changes daily. I ended up with it all plotted out on a word doc and working backwards all the time, so if I had a trip coming up, I could see how long I'd been out of the country in the last 10/11 months, and work out how many days I could be away in the next 4-8 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29.04.2019, 18:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vacation has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU work permit B – temporal time outside Switzerland

Does the same apply if I have resigned from current employer and am going home ( non eu) for 5 months - my permit B expires in Feb and I’ll ensure to be back before that to renew it. Would I need to inform the authorities that I’m leaving and if the permit is valid until Feb ? I have a job lined up to start in Jan after my break so would like to avoid the whole process of the new employer having to reapply from scratch instead of me having to simply renew it in Jan before it expires.

I would keep my apartment/ address as well as continue paying medical insurance. The only thing would be that I would not be paying taxes since I won’t be employed in the meantime.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non EU Work Permit Basel processing time Naynam Permits/visas/government 3 23.01.2019 07:56
Stay outside switzerland on L-Dependent Permit (non EU) fig Leaving Switzerland 8 13.09.2015 18:30
Work permit processing time for non EU/EUFTA ragzgrahan Permits/visas/government 2 06.05.2014 13:33
B-type residence permit/ work permit processing time for non-EU citizens DamTehIra Daily life 6 14.07.2013 16:50
Non-EU L Permit (full time) to Part time work econgal Permits/visas/government 0 03.07.2011 17:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0