Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.07.2008, 19:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewtonMama has no particular reputation at present
Application for C Permit

My husband is an EU citizen and I am American. When we arrived 5 years ago we got 5-year B permits which are up for renewal in August. We applied for C permits and today got a letter that says:

Ihr Ehepartner (meaning me) ist in Ihrem Gesuch um Niederlassung miteinbezogen. Sie hat jedoch das Kontrollentlassungsdatum nicht erfuellt. Wollen Sie trotzdem festhalten?

Does this mean I have not been here long enough to apply for C? I thought as the wife of an EU citizen we could both apply for C after 5 years?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.07.2008, 12:13
dakman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC (heart is split between Switzerland and the Big Apple)
Posts: 1,877
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 901 Times in 543 Posts
dakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond reputedakman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit

Quote:
View Post
My husband is an EU citizen and I am American. When we arrived 5 years ago we got 5-year B permits which are up for renewal in August. We applied for C permits and today got a letter that says:

Ihr Ehepartner (meaning me) ist in Ihrem Gesuch um Niederlassung miteinbezogen. Sie hat jedoch das Kontrollentlassungsdatum nicht erfuellt. Wollen Sie trotzdem festhalten?

Does this mean I have not been here long enough to apply for C? I thought as the wife of an EU citizen we could both apply for C after 5 years?

Well, you are a US citizen and should be able to apply after 5 years, but you haven't fulfilled the 5 years yet --that would be in August right?

I don't know if this the right answer but it wouldn't surprise me that they are sticky on such details. I would directly ask them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.07.2008, 12:18
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,814
Groaned at 45 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit

did you apply without them contacting you for renewal? Then indeed you've failed the requirements for a C permit.

Patience and then when the renewal notice comes, remind them that you'd like Cs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.07.2008, 19:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewtonMama has no particular reputation at present
Re: Application for C Permit

Our B permits are up in August but we got the renewal notices in June, so at that time we applied for C. We since found out the problem is that in 03 my husband arrived in August and I came in September. Our permits expire on the 5-year anniversary of his entrance, so my permit expires in August but I can't get a C until September. The authorities told the HR people at my husband's company that he and our son will get C permits in August. Mine will expire but as long as I don't leave the country between Aug-Sept I can stay here. I have to submit a separate application in Sept and I guess send in all kinds of docs like my work contract and marriage certificate because separate rules apply to Americans. My husband didn't have to do any of this and I thought I would have the same status as him in that regard. Anyway, I hope I will get my new permit in October (as my entry date is end of Sept).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.09.2008, 17:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,184
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Application for C Permit

I have to submit a separate application in Sept and I guess send in all kinds of docs like my work contract and marriage certificate because separate rules apply to Americans. My husband didn't have to do any of this and I thought I would have the same status as him in that regard. Anyway, I hope I will get my new permit in October (as my entry date is end of Sept).[/quote]

---------------

I think that as the spouse of an EU citizen you do not need to submit any documents such as a work contract...you get it automatically with no questions asked.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Martigny
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hambagahle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Application for C Permit - USA

My husband and I are in the same boat as you - he is American, I am British. I got my C permit, with very very little form filling out and no supporting information asked, after 5 years. He had to wait 10 yeras (he just got his C this year). The reason is that Switzerland works on "circles" of countries. There are special rules for (1) Swiss married to foreigners and then (2) EU nationals and then (3) everyone else. (Our notaire here for years has referred to my husband as "votre afghan" since the rules are the same for Americans and Afghans!!).
he had to fill out forms, go to the Social Services and get an attestation that he wasn't getting any subsidies, get a report from the Federal Police in Bern that he had no criminal record and several other bits and bobs. Then it took 2 months - but he got it! We are retired and were able to devote an entire day to running around to various offices here in our town to sort it all out and get all the papers. However, now he has it he has the same rights as I do so that is nice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit - USA

Quote:
View Post
My husband and I are in the same boat as you - he is American, I am British. I got my C permit, with very very little form filling out and no supporting information asked, after 5 years. He had to wait 10 yeras (he just got his C this year). The reason is that Switzerland works on "circles" of countries. There are special rules for (1) Swiss married to foreigners and then (2) EU nationals and then (3) everyone else. (Our notaire here for years has referred to my husband as "votre afghan" since the rules are the same for Americans and Afghans!!).
he had to fill out forms, go to the Social Services and get an attestation that he wasn't getting any subsidies, get a report from the Federal Police in Bern that he had no criminal record and several other bits and bobs. Then it took 2 months - but he got it! We are retired and were able to devote an entire day to running around to various offices here in our town to sort it all out and get all the papers. However, now he has it he has the same rights as I do so that is nice.
What you say is very surprising since in principle a US citizen is entitled to a C permit after five years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Martigny
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hambagahle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Application for C Permit

he certainly wasn't in the Valais!! Otherwise he would have applied for it. Very surprising, as you say!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit

Quote:
View Post
he certainly wasn't in the Valais!! Otherwise he would have applied for it. Very surprising, as you say!!
Permit legislation is federal, it is not canton-dependent. Whoever told him he wasn't entitled was wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Martigny
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hambagahle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Application for C Permit

I know its Federal - and it was the Police des Etrangers in Bagnes that told him! So if they were wrong he wasted 5 years. Anyway he has it now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,461
Groaned at 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,182 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit

Quote:
View Post
Permit legislation is federal, it is not canton-dependent. Whoever told him he wasn't entitled was wrong.
I was told countless times by the permit office in Zug that only EU nationals can get a C Permit after 5 years. After asking why my non-EU friends got one without applying after 5 years I was told there are "special rules" for Americans.

The same office told me I couldn't apply for my C Permit until I have been here 10 years (or married to a C Permit holder for 5 years - the same time in my case) when in fact forms on the website say I can apply earlier with a list of documents I need to supply with the application: German certificate, police report, job reference ect.

Don't believe what they say and google for the legislation yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.09.2008, 18:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,184
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Application for C Permit

It is strange how they decide although it is really a federal thing with the C and is supposed to be straightforward as pointed out by shorrick. An Australian national just got his C after 10 years (and that part is clear) but no job reference was needed and they allowed him to start his one person company.

Some people I know were asked for a job contract and some not. It is federal and yet the Valais example above shows that it is not yet being done in a uniform way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.09.2008, 23:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Martigny
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hambagahle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Application for C Permit

Could be two things - one, we are retired, not working. So there could be different rules. But secondly, the same office in Bagnes told a friend of mine with a UK permis B that he had to go through all the "hoops" that my American husband went through...I didn't when I got my C permit and I told him so. At the time I thought perhaps he didn't understand what they were saying because his French is poor, but now perhaps it is that the Contṛle des Habitants didn't really know??? There is still the fact that our notaire with who we have worked for over 20 years and who is very very capable also thought the rules were that Americans had to wait 10 years and this was certainly the way it was in Geneva when we first lived there 40 years ago. For us the whole thing is moot since he has his "C"!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.09.2008, 17:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,184
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Application for C Permit

Quote:
View Post
Could be two things - one, we are retired, not working. So there could be different rules. But secondly, the same office in Bagnes told a friend of mine with a UK permis B that he had to go through all the "hoops" that my American husband went through...I didn't when I got my C permit and I told him so. At the time I thought perhaps he didn't understand what they were saying because his French is poor, but now perhaps it is that the Contṛle des Habitants didn't really know??? There is still the fact that our notaire with who we have worked for over 20 years and who is very very capable also thought the rules were that Americans had to wait 10 years and this was certainly the way it was in Geneva when we first lived there 40 years ago. For us the whole thing is moot since he has his "C"!!
--------------
it might be the Bagnes office then who did not have the right info
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.09.2008, 18:15
lucy_sg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 677
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 199 Posts
lucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit

as discussed elsewhere:
Changing the canton will make problem for C permit

If you patient enough to scroll down through this thread, and read until the end, you will see that the documentation that is required can de different. It just depends on the canton where you are applying and the officer who is examining your application. It doesn't seem to have much logic behind it other than the criteria of the particular office who is handling your case...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.09.2008, 19:39
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Application for C Permit

The legislation is federal. But the implementation is cantonal and communal. Long live Swiss heterogeneity.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Application Process for an EU permit Nettle and Lavender Permits/visas/government 3 17.06.2008 00:05
Eu B Permit Application Self Employed Outside Switzerland Hodge Permits/visas/government 1 20.02.2008 10:43
application form for b permit travnett Permits/visas/government 1 02.12.2007 09:58
Non EU - self-application for B-permit possible? Kanch Permits/visas/government 1 22.05.2007 16:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0