Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.06.2019, 14:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sarajevo
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
parallax has no particular reputation at present
Non-EU job offer without a degree

Hello,
I've searched the forums for a bit related topic, but couldn't find anything.
So, I found a company in Zug, applied to the job posting, went through the interview process, and got a job offer, ~ 120k CHF annually. ( Software Development )
The issue is, I don't have a degree, but have ~6 years of experience ( mostly with German companies ), with some recommendations, as well as some certifications pending. I speak German, holding a C1 certificate.

What are my chances of having my visa approved? I was asked to provide all my documents (CV, Passport, Criminal record, letters of recommendation, etc. )
I'm from one of the former Yugoslavia states.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.06.2019, 14:54
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,443
Groaned at 264 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 11,996 Times in 5,293 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU job offer without a degree

Quote:
View Post
Hello,
I've searched the forums for a bit related topic, but couldn't find anything.
So, I found a company in Zug, applied to the job posting, went through the interview process, and got a job offer, ~ 120k CHF annually. ( Software Development )
The issue is, I don't have a degree, but have ~6 years of experience ( mostly with German companies ), with some recommendations, as well as some certifications pending. I speak German, holding a C1 certificate.

What are my chances of having my visa approved? I was asked to provide all my documents (CV, Passport, Criminal record, letters of recommendation, etc. )
I'm from one of the former Yugoslavia states.
I don't think the lack of a degree will make much difference one way or another. Presumably the company thinks that they'll get the permit approved, based on your presumably rare/specific skillset, or they wouldn't be prepared to make you an offer. This is the key point here, that they must be able to justify bringing in a foreigner on the basis that they couldn't find anyone on EU/CH to do the job.


FWIW I came here ~20 years ago, before any of the FMOP agreements, and got a permit without having any degree. Yes, my skills and experience were unusual enough to easily justify it, but rather oddly, the lack of a degree meant that I wasn't eligible for a L (short-term) permit but had to go straight for a B, which took a week or two longer.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.06.2019, 17:49
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,050
Groaned at 97 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 6,543 Times in 2,498 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU job offer without a degree

Which country in ex Yugoslavia? Bosnia (because Sarajevo)? Or really any that is not an EU member? Well then it might well be a slight issue.

Quote:
View Post
I don't think the lack of a degree will make much difference one way or another. Presumably the company thinks that they'll get the permit approved, based on your presumably rare/specific skillset, or they wouldn't be prepared to make you an offer.
Many companies have no clue what they're doing and many don't even realize that not all of ex-Yugoslavia is in the EU. Don't overestimate their abilities, seriously. I've seen it all

Somehow I have my doubts that no Software Developer with 6 years of experience can be found among any of the other 500m EU folks and a couple Swiss, unless it's a real niche and not a fabricated one. Then again I've seen strange things be approved, it can go a thousand ways.

Bottom line probably is: no one can tell or predict, all that's to do is wait and see.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.06.2019, 18:35
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Morgins, VS
Posts: 7,443
Groaned at 264 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 11,996 Times in 5,293 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU job offer without a degree

Quote:
View Post
Bottom line probably is: no one can tell or predict, all that's to do is wait and see.
Sure, nothing's certain, but the question was not whether he'll get a permit, but whether the lack of a degree will be an issue; given that they need to justify it based on the "special skills" nature of the job and the applicant, academic qualifications should be less important than specific relevant experience.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.06.2019, 21:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Berne
Posts: 43
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
altobarn has slipped a little
Re: Non-EU job offer without a degree

My gut feeling is rather having a high level (university) degree plays a crucial role for the company to justify the high skills that you have.

Don't think anyone here has a similar situation like yours but this could be interesting for us to know what the outcome is. Please update us.

Last edited by altobarn; 14.06.2019 at 22:14.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.06.2019, 00:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Sarajevo
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
parallax has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU job offer without a degree

Quote:
View Post
Which country in ex Yugoslavia? Bosnia (because Sarajevo)? Or really any that is not an EU member? Well then it might well be a slight issue.



Many companies have no clue what they're doing and many don't even realize that not all of ex-Yugoslavia is in the EU. Don't overestimate their abilities, seriously. I've seen it all

Somehow I have my doubts that no Software Developer with 6 years of experience can be found among any of the other 500m EU folks and a couple Swiss, unless it's a real niche and not a fabricated one. Then again I've seen strange things be approved, it can go a thousand ways.

Bottom line probably is: no one can tell or predict, all that's to do is wait and see.
Yes, it's Bosnia.
As for the skillset, well, it's a niche set. As a relation to that, I've worked for a couple of small and a big publicly listed German company, with good recommendations.

Quote:
View Post
Sure, nothing's certain, but the question was not whether he'll get a permit, but whether the lack of a degree will be an issue; given that they need to justify it based on the "special skills" nature of the job and the applicant, academic qualifications should be less important than specific relevant experience.
Yeah, my question is the lack of degree. I'm thinking of wrapping up my certificates and getting them handed out, as some type of "compensation" for the lack of the degree. As for the certificates specifically, I'm looking at niche certificates as well, which I hope should help.

Quote:
View Post
My gut feeling is rather having a high level (university) degree plays a crucial role for the company to justify the high skills that you have.

Don't think anyone here has a similar situation like yours but this could be interesting for us to know what the outcome is. Please update us.
Sure, I'll update as things go along

I'm asking if anyone has submitted and got approved based only on certification and proven experience. The Swiss immigration site says that it should go both ways (degree or specialised with experience - i.e. certified or degree WITH experience) , but for some reason I'm having doubts, because a lot of people tell me that I have no chance without a degree :/
Does it help that I already speak fluently German and English (both certified C1)? Although it's not related to the specific problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.06.2019, 13:20
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 20,353
Groaned at 352 Times in 267 Posts
Thanked 14,803 Times in 8,512 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU job offer without a degree

Degree isn't always necessary.

"Admissions are limited to managers, specialists and other qualified workers. ‘Qualified workers’ primarily means individuals with a degree from a university or university of applied sciences who also have several years of professional experience. Depending on the profession or the field of specialisation, individuals with special training and several years of professional experience can also be admitted."

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home....html#Personal requirements

If you can fill that niche then you may have a good chance of getting a permit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
non-eu, visa, zug




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can EU national bring non EU spouse without residence permit or job? vikji Permits/visas/government 31 22.10.2018 07:02
Non EU fresh grad, boyfriend is EU with job offer in Zurich, work permit likelihood? kobolobo Permits/visas/government 3 13.07.2015 16:48
Non-EU spouse of EU Citizen w/ Job Offer tdbrock Permits/visas/government 1 08.10.2013 18:51
EU (France) with job offer and Non-Eu (Taiwan) spouse sotiff Permits/visas/government 7 18.06.2013 08:42
Visa Interview - Non-EU w EU Wife and job offer Megamind Permits/visas/government 2 14.10.2011 14:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0