English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   Marriage in Switzerland- Japanese Citizen and Swiss Citizen (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/293460-marriage-switzerland-japanese-citizen-swiss-citizen.html)

Nozmi 10.08.2019 03:10

Marriage in Switzerland- Japanese Citizen and Swiss Citizen
Hello All,

My partner of 4 years and I have decided to move from Japan to Switzerland. He is a Swiss citizen and I'm a Japanese citizen. He proposed a week after I found out I got into a university in Geneva. He said that it would be better to apply straight to Permit B(is that the marriage to a swiss national permit?), instead of going for a student permit since I can work right away with the Permit B. We have been trying to get information from the consulate of Switzerland here in Japan but literally no one can help us out. I'm at wits end and in desperate need of advice - My University starts in October 2019(I have two months left) No idea if it would be easier to get married in Japan or in Switzerland? Someone help

Medea Fleecestealer 10.08.2019 09:44

Re: Marriage in Switzerland- Japanese Citizen and Swiss Citizen

It's probably easier and quicker to marry in Japan and get the marriage recognised here. But I doubt you'll get it all done within 2 months so maybe go for the student permit and then change that once the marriage is recognised here to a family reunification one.

st2lemans 10.08.2019 09:49

Re: Marriage in Switzerland- Japanese Citizen and Swiss Citizen
If you have all of your paperwork, it takes about a month to do it here.


3Wishes 11.08.2019 14:42

Re: Marriage in Switzerland- Japanese Citizen and Swiss Citizen
Here's a snip of a quote from Medea from another thread. It sounds like the consulate isn't much help because you need to work with the cantonal authorities.

My first thought is that the student permit would be approved quickly, whereas a permit for marriage might take more time due to all the documentation they'd want, some of which might need to be translated.

Contact the Canton of Geneva as soon as possible:


Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3087966)
It's the cantonal authorities he needs to talk to.

As far as I know this is still the case:

"Nationals of the following states do not require a visa to enter Switzerland under any circumstances: Brunei, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand and Singapore.

However, the competent Swiss authority will issue a prior authorisation of a residence permit in the following cases:

a) for a stay of more than 90 days, or

b) a stay involving gainful employment:
lasting more than eight days, or
from the first day of work in the primary or auxiliary construction sectors, the hospitality sector, industrial or private cleaning services, surveillance and security services, itinerant sales and services or erotic services.

This prior authorisation of a residence permit is issued directly to the foreign national, or to a third party (employer), by the cantonal migration authority. The Swiss diplomatic or consular mission is not involved in this procedure."

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0