Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04.11.2019, 17:49
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mtwinston has no particular reputation at present
Non-Eu Citizen Marrying a Non-Eu "B Permit" Resident


I am Canadian, and my (Canadian) fiancée is living in Switzerland on a B permit.

We are marrying July 3rd 2019 in Canada, but in order for me to move to Switzerland to be with her, we were told you can apply for a "Preparation of Marriage" 6 months prior to the date of marriage.

We have called countless Zurich Immigration officers and done tons of research, but it seems that every agent tells us different information.

Does someone have experience in this field?

1) Firstly, we don't even know where to start the process due to conflicting information we've been told. What do we need to do?
2) Can I remain in Switzerland during this 6 month period prior to the date of marriage?

Any information would be extremely helpful. Especially if you have personal experience.

Thanks so much,

Reply With Quote
Old 04.11.2019, 21:42
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 9,648
Groaned at 63 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 15,239 Times in 7,001 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-Eu Citizen Marrying a Non-Eu "B Permit" Resident

Welcome to the Forum. I assume you mean July of 2020.

AFAIK, the "Preparation of Marriage" visa is only if you're going to get married here in Switzerland.

If you're getting married in Canada but you want to move here earlier, the only options at the moment are 1) to apply for a concubine permit, if the canton where she lives even offers it. She signs to be responsible for you for 5 years, even if the relationship later falls apart. You won't be allowed to work or 2) get a job on your own merits where the employer sponsors your permit.

Otherwise, you keep visiting under the 90 days in/90 days out rule.
Reply With Quote

b permit, immigration, non-eu, visa

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
non-EU citizen and marriage with non-EU citizen who has B permit in ZH slobic Permits/visas/government 10 29.05.2015 17:47
EU citizen living and working in Geneva on C permit marrying Non-EU I_11sunny Permits/visas/government 7 24.01.2014 11:28
Does marriage give me a visa to work? [non-EU marrying non-EU B permit holder] AshleyfrmKS Permits/visas/government 16 09.02.2012 13:47
non-EU marrying non-EU with B permit - possible? rolik Permits/visas/government 4 11.07.2008 10:08

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0