Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19.11.2019, 23:04
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TexAg has no particular reputation at present
Working Remotely for US Co

My job is looking to transfer me from the U.S. to Switzerland. I know I will need a Visa, etc that they will help with but my question is in regards to my wife. She currently works from home for a U.S.company that solely operates out of the U.S. (no foreign operations / locations). Logistically she could just continue to work remotely from anywhere but legally would she need a work permit in Switzerland to keep doing her job? How would we need to report her income?
Reply With Quote
Old 20.11.2019, 09:13
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,698 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working Remotely for US Co

Assuming you are non-EU, you will likely receive either a non-EU permit B or a non-EU permit L. Your B permit allows your wife to automatically work while an L permit requires permission to work. See this link for Canton Zurich (German):


Note that the regulations might be different for other cantons.

Since your wife's company does not operate in Switzerland, she could do one of the following:
1. Register for Anobag status as an employee of a foreign company. She would be responsible for paying Swiss social charges and pension costs, although her company could reimburse her for this. An accountant could assist her with her filings.
2. Work for a Swiss payroll service, which would be her legal employer and would handle the social charge and pension aspects of employment. Payroll services charge a fee for this service. Please feel free to contact me via pm for the name of one in the German area.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EU Permit for working remotely yellowblood Permits/visas/government 43 29.10.2019 18:01
Made redundant while working remotely kiwigeek Employment 21 23.10.2013 12:55
Working in US but remotely from CH LearningAlways Business & entrepreneur 10 02.11.2012 19:20
working remotely in CH Calfo Business & entrepreneur 16 11.02.2011 16:57
working remotely, is that legal? euro82 Permits/visas/government 19 18.03.2009 15:53

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0