Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.12.2019, 22:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Basel (BS)
Posts: 43
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
IceCold has slipped a little
C permit Basel - EU

Hello everybody

I have been living almost 5 years in BaselStadt and today I had to go to the migration office to renew my B permit. I asked the employee when i will be able to apply for the C permit. She said that they will contact me automatically when i will meet the criteria (5 years). I'm still surprised at what she said to me cause i read a lot of stories about C permit here on forum. I'm an EU citizen but from the "east" (EU8), so no candies for me. Was the employee right? Is it really that easy?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.12.2019, 01:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,336
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 983 Times in 586 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: C permit Basel - EU

According to article 34 of law on foreigners it does seem so, but requirements are more strict (the others get a better deal because of bilateral domicile accords). I think you're going to need a certificate for german B2 spoken and A1 written.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meerkat33 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.12.2019, 22:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bern
Posts: 11
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
kamen has no particular reputation at present
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Quote:
View Post
Hello everybody

I have been living almost 5 years in BaselStadt and today I had to go to the migration office to renew my B permit. I asked the employee when i will be able to apply for the C permit. She said that they will contact me automatically when i will meet the criteria (5 years). I'm still surprised at what she said to me cause i read a lot of stories about C permit here on forum. I'm an EU citizen but from the "east" (EU8), so no candies for me. Was the employee right? Is it really that easy?
Just apply for early C, get all the documents needed and write in the B Permit Extension Form that you would like to apply for early C. Unless you have collected social benefits, have been sentenced, have unpaid dues, or have not B1 knowledge of German, it is quite likely to receive it in about 3 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.12.2019, 09:53
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,209
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 557 Posts
DantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputationDantesDame has an excellent reputation
Re: C permit Basel - EU

When my C permit came due, they sent me the notification to renew my B instead. I contacted them and asked, and she said that she would send the revised documents for the C permit.

So I'm not sure when you're eligible, but when you think you are, be sure to ask for it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.12.2019, 19:52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Riehen, Basel-City
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schumann has no particular reputation at present
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Don't believe a word: They are cheating! They always try to find reasons not to give you a C permit, even if they actually have to. They usually wait to see if you're ready to sue and go to court; only then they give in and give you the permit. Most Eastern Europeans are only entitled to a settlement permit after 10 years of uninterrupted and legitimate residence, most Western Europeans already after 5 years. However, after 5 years I did not receive any information from the migration office that I could get a C permit. The C permit is not affiliated with the EU treaties. Please note that I am not a lawyer, so you had better consult a specialized lawyer with practical experience in immigraton issues in order to get a reliable answer.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Schumann for this post:
  #6  
Old 20.12.2019, 20:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,367
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,164 Times in 9,184 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Quote:
View Post
Don't believe a word: They are cheating! They always try to find reasons not to give you a C permit, even if they actually have to. They usually wait to see if you're ready to sue and go to court; only then they give in and give you the permit. Most Eastern Europeans are only entitled to a settlement permit after 10 years of uninterrupted and legitimate residence, most Western Europeans already after 5 years. However, after 5 years I did not receive any information from the migration office that I could get a C permit. The C permit is not affiliated with the EU treaties. Please note that I am not a lawyer, so you had better consult a specialized lawyer with practical experience in immigraton issues in order to get a reliable answer.
No need for a lawyer. And any EU national is entitled to ask for a C permit after 5 years of living here. Heck, even non-EU's can get one after 5 years if they meet the criteria. The migration office may not tell you about the possibility of getting a C when they send you the renewal forms; some do and some don't. But often it's just a case of writing on the renewal form that you'd like a C permit, provide the necessary documentation and that's it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.03.2020, 16:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Basel (BS)
Posts: 43
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
IceCold has slipped a little
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Hi everybody, OP here.

I just wanted to make an update on my question. After 5 years living here (6 months L permit and 4.5 years B permit) I got no "promised" letter from the Kanton.

There are two possible explanations:

-The L permit does not count. (thou, i'm working here for 5 years, i got L because of the test period)
-I'm from the EU-8 (members since 2004) and we don't count.

My friend from the UK got a letter and can get a C permit with a language certificate. He's here already 5 years with the B permit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.03.2020, 17:19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Zurigo
Posts: 182
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 121 Times in 71 Posts
qwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeable
Re: C permit Basel - EU

As EU 8 you normally get a C permit after 10 years. If you want to apply after 5 only, make sure you meet the conditions under „VIntA” and make a specific application based on that directive
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank qwertz for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.03.2020, 17:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Basel (BS)
Posts: 43
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
IceCold has slipped a little
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Quote:
View Post
As EU 8 you normally get a C permit after 10 years. If you want to apply after 5 only, make sure you meet the conditions under „VIntA” and make a specific application based on that directive
Yes, this seems to be the case. I've read a lot about it here on this forum and many (heck, not even the people at Migrationsamt) are not aware that the EU rules do not apply to EU8. There is also EU3 and so on...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.03.2020, 17:41
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Zurigo
Posts: 182
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 121 Times in 71 Posts
qwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeable
Re: C permit Basel - EU

In reality it’s quite straightforward:

FMOP (EU rules i.e. L and B permits) apply to EU as a whole (for Croatia, also known as EU 1, with restrictions for some time – all EU countries to date went through their respective restriction period). EU 2 was for Romania and Bulgaria to designate their restrictive period which ended in May 2019.

For C permits, Swiss foreigners and integration law applies to all nationalities. Bilateral agreements are in place with some Western European countries (which date way before the time of the EU) allowing C permit after 5 years and no language criteria.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank qwertz for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.03.2020, 17:45
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,993
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Quote:
View Post
Hi everybody, OP here.

I just wanted to make an update on my question. After 5 years living here (6 months L permit and 4.5 years B permit) I got no "promised" letter from the Kanton.

There are two possible explanations:

-The L permit does not count. (thou, i'm working here for 5 years, i got L because of the test period)
-I'm from the EU-8 (members since 2004) and we don't count.

My friend from the UK got a letter and can get a C permit with a language certificate. He's here already 5 years with the B permit.

You will only get a renewal around the time your permit expires. Not after you’ve been in the country exactly 5 years.

Two months before your B permit expires go to the commune and ask them what you need to submit to change your B permit to a C permit upon renewal.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01.03.2020, 17:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Basel (BS)
Posts: 43
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
IceCold has slipped a little
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Quote:
View Post
You will only get a renewal around the time your permit expires. Not after you’ve been in the country exactly 5 years.

Two months before your B permit expires go to the commune and ask them what you need to submit to change your B permit to a C permit upon renewal.
My friend from the UK got the letter for the C permit and i didn't. Our permit expired on the same day and he got the letter before the expiration. I extended my B permit for 5 more years. Again, i got no C permit letter. I decided not to go for the C permit based on the bad experiences from people on this forum. Some had to call in a lawyer. I don't want to go down this road. If they don't want to give it - fine. I just wish they would be more honest about it. Even criteria are not realy clear. Some get it, some don't.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.03.2020, 19:15
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,367
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,164 Times in 9,184 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C permit Basel - EU

Also iirc under the new rules L permits no longer count for C permits? If so, then you may need a few more months time to qualify.

I think the person at the office was wrong since they're unlikely to change you over to a C when you've just renewed a B.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C permit in Basel Sfuns Permits/visas/government 3 29.06.2019 09:25
Basel, B to C permit routine biff Permits/visas/government 11 18.03.2013 11:02
L permit -- Vaud to Basel dennis Permits/visas/government 1 11.06.2012 15:56
Moving from Basel to Basel Land - Permit change j.manuel Permits/visas/government 3 25.10.2011 14:44
Success: 1 Yr B permit non-EU in Basel Red64 Permits/visas/government 1 08.09.2010 09:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0