Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.01.2020, 23:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jonasphy has no particular reputation at present
Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Hello there,

I am a physiotherapist and doing a Master Degree in Germany at the moment. I will be done with my master in 5-6 months and I am considering to move to Switzerland to work as a physiotherapist. I already hold B2 Goethe Zertifikat. I did my Physio Bachelor in Turkey and I have another masters degree from Spanish University. I know that my degree has to be recognised by SRK.

Physio salary range in Switzerland is between 6000-7000 per month. I have till now 2 years of work experience. Fluent in 3 foreign languages (English, Spanish, German)

Assuming I can get my Berufsanerkennung (Physiotherapist recognition) in Switzerland, my question is what is the possiblity to get a work permit in Switzerland for me ? (For example in Zurich) I know that each year they have certain number of permits. I think I have enough language skills and I will have enough qualification if I can get the diploma recognition by SRK. But the question is what do you think about the salary? Would it be enough for me to get a work permit or do you find the numbers not big enough ?

By the way Physiotherapists are high demand in Switzerland. It is sort of a shortage occupation, they receive a lot of physios from Germany. I think that might help as well.

Thanks in advance for your opinions !
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.01.2020, 09:32
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Gingins
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
SwissGreek has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Hello,
If I was you I would first check more about the recognition of the diploma... Don't take for granted that it will be recognised. I know a similar situation (physio degree from Turkey) that after two years since the requested papers were supplied to the Swiss Red Cross (this is the competent authority to recognise your diploma), a decision has not yet been made...
Regarding finding a work in Switzerland, perhaps you could ask the Regional Unemployment Office at the place that interests you. The salary you are mentioning is good enough but this has nothing to do with the work permit...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.01.2020, 12:19
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,747
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,888 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

The problem you’ll have as Non-EU is that your prospective employer will have to prove that they can’t find a Swiss or EU person to do the job, for you to get a permit. There are a lot of physiotherapists in Europe, so could be difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.02.2020, 21:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jonasphy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Quote:
View Post
Hello,
If I was you I would first check more about the recognition of the diploma... Don't take for granted that it will be recognised. I know a similar situation (physio degree from Turkey) that after two years since the requested papers were supplied to the Swiss Red Cross (this is the competent authority to recognise your diploma), a decision has not yet been made...
Regarding finding a work in Switzerland, perhaps you could ask the Regional Unemployment Office at the place that interests you. The salary you are mentioning is good enough but this has nothing to do with the work permit...
Thank you for your answer. I already hold the German recognition and fluent in language. I will also have few years of experience of working in Germany. I think these things will make the easier than applying direct from Turkey.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.02.2020, 22:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jonasphy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Quote:
View Post
The problem youíll have as Non-EU is that your prospective employer will have to prove that they canít find a Swiss or EU person to do the job, for you to get a permit. There are a lot of physiotherapists in Europe, so could be difficult.
Thanks for your answer. I've been seeing a lot of open positions in Switzerland in Physio. It is kind of a shortage occupation over there. I think that would not be the biggest issue.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.02.2020, 22:15
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,079
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your answer. I've been seeing a lot of open positions in Switzerland in Physio. It is kind of a shortage occupation over there. I think that would not be the biggest issue.
Unfortunately it is a big issue. You are non EU.


Any chance of working in Germany for a while and then applying for a passport?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.02.2020, 23:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,800
Groaned at 91 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 11,954 Times in 4,855 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

The salary is fine.

Your description of your qualifications and language level sound good, with regard to recognition with the SRK.
https://www.redcross.ch/de/anerkennu...slaendischer-7

I presume you know that you can do a free pre-check here: https://www.precheck.ch/account/login, and that the real process of recognition costs CHF 1'000 + CHF 130.

Even so, regrettably, you are non-EU. And so, yes, as others have said, an employer would have to prove that they could not fill the job with a Swiss person or with anyone from the EU. This is more likely to be the case (if at all possible) if you choose a remote, less attractive place to apply to work. Some medium-sized regional hospital in a less interesting town has a lesser chance of successfully attracting employees than a university hospital in a big city.

Here is a website of physiotherapists: Physioswiss.
It, too, has a section about recognition of qualifications:
https://www.physioswiss.ch/de/profes...lomanerkennung

In addition, you can search for physiotherapists by language. Perhaps one of the Turkish-speaking people would be kind enough to tell you how they managed to be allowed to work here.
https://www.physioswiss.ch/de/practices
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.02.2020, 17:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: France
Posts: 11
Groaned at 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Frankie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Quote:
View Post
Hello there,

I am a physiotherapist and doing a Master Degree in Germany at the moment. I will be done with my master in 5-6 months and I am considering to move to Switzerland to work as a physiotherapist. I already hold B2 Goethe Zertifikat. I did my Physio Bachelor in Turkey and I have another masters degree from Spanish University. I know that my degree has to be recognised by SRK.

Physio salary range in Switzerland is between 6000-7000 per month. I have till now 2 years of work experience. Fluent in 3 foreign languages (English, Spanish, German)

Assuming I can get my Berufsanerkennung (Physiotherapist recognition) in Switzerland, my question is what is the possiblity to get a work permit in Switzerland for me ? (For example in Zurich) I know that each year they have certain number of permits. I think I have enough language skills and I will have enough qualification if I can get the diploma recognition by SRK. But the question is what do you think about the salary? Would it be enough for me to get a work permit or do you find the numbers not big enough ?

By the way Physiotherapists are high demand in Switzerland. It is sort of a shortage occupation, they receive a lot of physios from Germany. I think that might help as well.

Thanks in advance for your opinions !
Howdy,

Physiotherapist here who is currently going through the process. Here is the absolute non-sense the Swiss Red Cross do not tell you.
1)Your B2 needs to be B2 across each and every language aspect. You cannot have anything less than B2.
2)You'll most likely need to do a 6 month placement, it can be paid.
3)You don't actually need to the degree recognition to work in certain cantons in Switzerland. You need only to have a positive precheck in Bern for example (where I currently work). I'm working the exact same job as my colleagues.
4)In your MSc did you do a high quality research project? If not then you might have to do a "formation" in either Lausanne or Bern (maybe somewhere else)and you'll have to pay for it.
5) The salary is about right - I'm on a lot less because I didn't negotiate. I quit and then they tried to negotiate with me. Starting salary should be 34chf gross per hour in small towns and nothing less than 38chf in big towns. But please remember that the reason that the salary is high is because everything is expensive in Switzerland.
6)The SRK will not be consistent. They sent me a letter in which they told me documents that I must "redo". After sending those documents through a new letter came through about something else I need to do. And then something else. Process from start to finish will take a lot more than 3 months. It takes somewhere from 6 if you are lucky to 12 if you have to do a 6 month placement. One person tells you one thing and then an email comes through correcting it.
7)I'm sorry but no idea how the work permit will work out but i hope this helped with the process.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.06.2020, 14:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Berlin
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jonasphy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU physiotherapist work permit possibility ?

Thanks for your detailed post and also for sharing your own experiences.

1-) I already have the B2 from Goethe Institut, not lower than 80 points on each part. I think I can also have the C1 with couple months of working. But not sure if it will make the Recognition or Visa procedure easier.
4-) I did one master in SportPhysiotherapie in Spain and right now doing the 2nd one on Clinical Exercise Science (M.Sc). I will be done with my Thesis in few months and I will also be applying to some journals to publish it. I think it has a high potential to be considered as high quality project.
6-) The recognition precess in Germany is very complicated as well. I waited almost 1 year to get it. I can imagine the SRK will not be easier than that. I am ready to face this challenge.

Physiotherapy in Germany is not even a academic degree. It is taught in Berufschule and one without a high school diploma (Abitur) even can be physiotherapist. My 2 master degrees won't have almost any advantage here because the insurance companies pay the same fee to Physio Treatmen, doesn't matter if you are treated by a physio with Phd or just Ausbildung. On the other hand I saw some job advertisement in CH, that some clinics and Praxis are looking to hire people with master's degree. It is much better regulated and well-paid over there so that some German physios as well consider moving there.

I am not sure if I have to wait 4 more years till I get a German citizenship so I can waive all these visa stuff or soon start looking something there and deal with visa bullshit for at least 5 years.
Quote:
View Post
Howdy,

Physiotherapist here who is currently going through the process. Here is the absolute non-sense the Swiss Red Cross do not tell you.
1)Your B2 needs to be B2 across each and every language aspect. You cannot have anything less than B2.
2)You'll most likely need to do a 6 month placement, it can be paid.
3)You don't actually need to the degree recognition to work in certain cantons in Switzerland. You need only to have a positive precheck in Bern for example (where I currently work). I'm working the exact same job as my colleagues.
4)In your MSc did you do a high quality research project? If not then you might have to do a "formation" in either Lausanne or Bern (maybe somewhere else)and you'll have to pay for it.
5) The salary is about right - I'm on a lot less because I didn't negotiate. I quit and then they tried to negotiate with me. Starting salary should be 34chf gross per hour in small towns and nothing less than 38chf in big towns. But please remember that the reason that the salary is high is because everything is expensive in Switzerland.
6)The SRK will not be consistent. They sent me a letter in which they told me documents that I must "redo". After sending those documents through a new letter came through about something else I need to do. And then something else. Process from start to finish will take a lot more than 3 months. It takes somewhere from 6 if you are lucky to 12 if you have to do a 6 month placement. One person tells you one thing and then an email comes through correcting it.
7)I'm sorry but no idea how the work permit will work out but i hope this helped with the process.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibility of changing L short term permit (90 days) to another visa type. harry572 Permits/visas/government 3 24.04.2015 12:03
nurse: possibility to work in Switzerland cyriacbobby Employment 2 20.06.2011 13:35
Work possibility after MSc @ ETHZ nphrk Employment 4 23.10.2010 14:07
Arranging to go to (and pay for) a physiotherapist -- how does it work? Wednesday Family matters/health 9 05.02.2008 16:02
Possibility To Get Work in Swiss for non UE Toraya Permits/visas/government 5 13.12.2006 00:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0