Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.02.2020, 06:52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: England
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannonfodder has no particular reputation at present
Uk Emigrate to CH

Hi,
My story. Englishman working in UK with Swiss partner and baby living in CH. I'm commuting every week CH to UK. It's proving tough for all concerned and it's time for me to make the move to live full time in CH.
My partner and I are not married and have no plans to. I am 54 and have worked most of my life in heavy industry, contracting on power generation projects as an electrician mostly but more recently I've been getting engineer positions. I don't think I'll be finding this sort of work in Switzerland, might be time for a career change, not easy at my age.
MY question(s) regard my rights to live/work/possibly need to claim benefits in Switzerland. As the unmarried partner of a Swiss national and the father of a Swiss child will I have any right to live in the country while searching for employment ?
Apologies if this has been covered in other threads, if so please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.02.2020, 09:27
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,126
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,099 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Welcome to the forum.

The short answer is no. You don't have any right to live here just because your child is a Swiss national.

What you do have atm, since the UK is still part of the EU, is the right to come here as a tourist for up to 3 months to look for work without registering as being a resident. If you can't find work in that period then you can apply for a job seeker L permit for another 3 months, providing you have sufficient funds to support yourself.

As for unemployment, if you've been working in the UK then I believe you can register here and would get 3 months unemployment benefit.

Something you and your partner might want to look at is her applying for a concubine permit for you. Not all cantons offer this permit so she'd need to check with her cantonal migration office whether it's available or not. She would also have to agree to be financially responsible for you for 5 years. Since you're an EU national atm this permit would allow you to look for work here.

Switzerland is pretty ageist so changing careers at your age is likely to be impossible and you may even struggle to find work in your field. As an electrician you may need to have your qualifications recognised here. See the Field of Electricity/Engineer PDF links here

https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/ho...ofessions.html

Last edited by Medea Fleecestealer; 07.02.2020 at 10:31.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.02.2020, 09:31
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,733
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,285 Times in 2,877 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Don’t want to be harsh, but being older & with no language skills, you will have a seriously hard time finding a job. And you only have until the end of the year to do so, then it’s bye bye freedom of movement rights.

Is it not an option for your family to move to the UK?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.02.2020, 11:09
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Quote:
View Post
As for unemployment, if you've been working in the UK then I believe you can register here and would get 3 months unemployment benefit.
Nope. If you are on unemployment benefits in the UK and the authorities there agree you can have your UK benefits paid to you in Switzerland for up to three months. You don’t get paid Swiss benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.02.2020, 12:43
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,226
Groaned at 347 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 11,996 Times in 4,115 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
My story. Englishman working in UK with Swiss partner and baby living in CH. I'm commuting every week CH to UK. It's proving tough for all concerned and it's time for me to make the move to live full time in CH.
My partner and I are not married and have no plans to. I am 54 and have worked most of my life in heavy industry, contracting on power generation projects as an electrician mostly but more recently I've been getting engineer positions. I don't think I'll be finding this sort of work in Switzerland, might be time for a career change, not easy at my age.
MY question(s) regard my rights to live/work/possibly need to claim benefits in Switzerland. As the unmarried partner of a Swiss national and the father of a Swiss child will I have any right to live in the country while searching for employment ?
Apologies if this has been covered in other threads, if so please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
The first sentence implies you are already living in Switzerland. Is this so??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.02.2020, 17:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,752
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,106 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Under the current freedom of movement rules, you have a right to live and work in Switzerland but you need to get the correct residence permit, which should be a formality.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.02.2020, 18:02
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Basel
Posts: 139
Groaned at 32 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
kamiyu is considered unworthykamiyu is considered unworthykamiyu is considered unworthy
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The short answer is no. You don't have any right to live here just because your child is a Swiss national.

What you do have atm, since the UK is still part of the EU, is the right to come here as a tourist for up to 3 months to look for work without registering as being a resident. If you can't find work in that period then you can apply for a job seeker L permit for another 3 months, providing you have sufficient funds to support yourself.

As for unemployment, if you've been working in the UK then I believe you can register here and would get 3 months unemployment benefit.

Something you and your partner might want to look at is her applying for a concubine permit for you. Not all cantons offer this permit so she'd need to check with her cantonal migration office whether it's available or not. She would also have to agree to be financially responsible for you for 5 years. Since you're an EU national atm this permit would allow you to look for work here.

Switzerland is pretty ageist so changing careers at your age is likely to be impossible and you may even struggle to find work in your field. As an electrician you may need to have your qualifications recognised here. See the Field of Electricity/Engineer PDF links here

https://www.sbfi.admin.ch/sbfi/en/ho...ofessions.html
I am wondering if the UK is still in the EU as she officially left the EU last Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.02.2020, 18:52
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,126
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,099 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Quote:
View Post
I am wondering if the UK is still in the EU as she officially left the EU last Friday.
Yes, there is a transition period until the end of December this year so everything basically stays the same until then.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.02.2020, 19:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: England
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannonfodder has no particular reputation at present
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Hi all and thank you for the replies,
Apologies for taking so long to get back.
@ Medea Fleecestealer - We will look at the concubine permit, we are in canton Zurich, maybe it's possible there. Would my rights change if we were married ?
@ Island Monkey - No not an option.
@ AbFab - No, Swiss partner and child live in CH, I'm a frequent visitor.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.02.2020, 19:58
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,126
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,099 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Yes, of course your rights change if you're married to a Swis national. She'll still probably have to show she earns enough to support you since you'll be seen as her dependent and that the place she and the child live is big enough for you too, but it would give you the right to live here and and you could look for work. It wouldn't affect the need to have any qualifications recognised regarding employment however.

Bear in mind that if you do marry and get a family reunification permit, if the relationship later breaks down you could lose said permit.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.02.2020, 07:49
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,004
Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 10,747 Times in 4,739 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Quote:
View Post
I am 54 and have worked most of my life in heavy industry, contracting on power generation projects as an electrician mostly but more recently I've been getting engineer positions. I don't think I'll be finding this sort of work in Switzerland, might be time for a career change, not easy at my age.
I wouldn't wipe that out as an option, but you would most likely need a B permit to secure work in that field. I'm basing that assumption on the requirements for the 2 vacancies currently available with my local energy supplier https://www.werkezuerichsee.ch/de/un...offenestellen/

Learning a new language is tougher as you get older (we're the same age) but you can do it, and that's where you need to start if you're serious about making the move. For anyone not working in IT, pharmaceuticals, finance and science, speaking the local language is the biggest key you can have to entry into the local job market. If I could hammer home one thing to you right now, it would be to begin proper German classes. It's a long term investment in your future that requires time and effort. You're child will be raised speaking German as well as English, and do you really want to be dealing with a sulky teenager mumbling in a language you don't understand?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18.02.2020, 08:07
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Zurigo
Posts: 294
Groaned at 16 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 200 Times in 115 Posts
qwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeableqwertz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Uk Emigrate to CH

Quote:
View Post
I wouldn't wipe that out as an option, but you would most likely need a B permit to secure work in that field. I'm basing that assumption on the requirements for the 2 vacancies currently available with my local energy supplier https://www.werkezuerichsee.ch/de/un...offenestellen/
Führerausweis Kat. B means drivers license for normal cars of category B not residence permit
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0