Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22.02.2020, 03:33
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RinRaman has no particular reputation at present
Non EU-PhD at Swiss uni-on RAV with a job seeker's L permit-Extension/alternatives?

*I've read a lot of posts about permit issues but nothing recent fits my exact situation and I know the laws have changed in the last few years, so here goes*


1) I'm a non-EU citizen and did my PhD (Life Sciences) at Uni Zurich. I had a B permit (Ausbildung mit Erwerbstaetigkeit) that I renewed annually during my studies.

2) I defended in Sep 2019 and my work contract was terminated then. Still had 3 months left on the B permit. Signed up with RAV. I'm eligible for 400 days of benefits.

3) Applied for a permit extension in Dec 2019 as the B was expiring. Got an L permit (Aufenthalt zur Stellensuche) for 3 months. (I'm assuming they counted the previous 3 months I had on the B towards the 6 month job hunting allowance for students, but I'm not sure.)

4) Still unemployed as of now.


1) Is it at all possible to get the L permit extended on the basis of being eligible for 400 days of RAV benefits?

2) Would the L permit be extended if I was doing an internship? (Not BNF-I'm not eligible for it on the L and couldn't start it while the B was still valid because I didn't have approval yet from the ALK)

3) Is there anything I could do to help potential employers? So far I have ZERO responses, and I suspect the L permit is at least partially responsible. Maybe I could go to a lawyer and get some kind of certificate saying that the employers would get help with work permit applications if they hire me or something?

4) I will apply for a permit extension anyway, because I might as well try. What case could I make that would be even remotely convincing? I'm non-violent and speak German (B2.2), but I had to be signed off due to illness for 2 full months while on RAV and I'm worried that the lack of job applications during this time will count against me. Or maybe they take pity if I plead that I couldn't take advantage of the full time period given? Thoughts?

5) What's the procedure if they deny the extension and I still don't have a job? Any sense appealing? Do I get a grace period to wrap up and leave? At what point would the officials show up with handcuffs?

I have already asked every official I could think of (RAV counselor, migration office, employment office, uni admin) and didn't get a clear answer from anywhere, so I'm hoping to learn from personal experiences on here. Thank you! =)

*PS: I've heard the "just go to Germany" advice already, but as long as I'm still here I'd like to try whatever I can =). Getting married is sadly not an option.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US subletters have wrong permit for Swiss Caution - alternatives? Salad Days Housing in general 10 28.10.2017 15:14
Alternatives to Swiss B permit not arriving in time? silverburn Permits/visas/government 4 29.10.2011 13:08
Non-EU17 Member Swiss work permit seeker Sunreisenden Permits/visas/government 13 05.04.2011 17:10
Permit Extension for Masters students from Swiss Universities quarkLore Permits/visas/government 2 05.09.2010 14:09
How to get B permit for asylum seeker?? menzingen Permits/visas/government 7 22.05.2010 10:57

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0