Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.04.2020, 18:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 38
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sabrina has no particular reputation at present
A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Hello,
Is it necessary to have A1 level of German to get B permit. We will be moving to Switzerland and can speak only English. Not knowing German upfront will impact the chances of getting B permit ?

Thanks in advance.
  #2  
Old 23.04.2020, 18:24
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

I assume your permit's already been approved since it seems you're a non-EU national so no, not atm. You will however, be required to produce either a certificate showing proficiency or be enrolled in a language course by the time the permit has to be renewed.
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.04.2020, 18:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 38
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sabrina has no particular reputation at present
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

U mean, once I am in Swiss then within 1 year I have to show the certificate of proficiency ?
  #4  
Old 23.04.2020, 18:48
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,146
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,867 Times in 8,403 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
U mean, once I am in Swiss then within 1 year I have to show the certificate of proficiency ?
A1 is a very basic level. You should be able to pass such an exam after a year living here and taking a few classes.

In another thread you say you're moving to Fribourg. If French is more your style, as Fribourg is a bilingual canton you could do French instead. It depends on your longer term goals
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.04.2020, 18:59
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
U mean, once I am in Swiss then within 1 year I have to show the certificate of proficiency ?
Yes, when it's time to renew the permit then you must either be enrolled in a course or have a certificate for a certain proficiency. And as far as I know it's B2 for spoken, A1 for written, but you can check that with the cantonal migration office.
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 76
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Uaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Hello,
Is it necessary to have A1 level of German to get B permit. We will be moving to Switzerland and can speak only English. Not knowing German upfront will impact the chances of getting B permit ?

Thanks in advance.
My company advised me that I don't have to prove A1 for permit renewal only dependents are required to do so.


"As employee, you are exempted from the obligation to provide the authorities with the proofs of your French language skills because your integration is related to you work.
However, all dependent spouses/partner of non-EU/EFTA B-permit holders, B-permit holders seeking renewal and certain C-permit applicants will require an A1 or equivalent oral skills in the language of the place of residence at the time of registration or most recent residence after 12 months in Switzerland."

Cheers
The following 2 users would like to thank Uaby for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:23
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,115
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,020 Times in 6,524 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
My company advised me that I don't have to prove A1 for permit renewal only dependents are required to do so.


"As employee, you are exempted from the obligation to provide the authorities with the proofs of your French language skills because your integration is related to you work.
However, all dependent spouses/partner of non-EU/EFTA B-permit holders, B-permit holders seeking renewal and certain C-permit applicants will require an A1 or equivalent oral skills in the language of the place of residence at the time of registration or most recent residence after 12 months in Switzerland."

Cheers
Really? Better check that well before you renew your permit.
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vaud
Posts: 76
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Uaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Really? Better check that well before you renew your permit.
Indeed, I doubted it too but being a sceptic by profession I had it cross-checked with colleagues who went through B permit renewals.
  #9  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:37
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,115
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,020 Times in 6,524 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, I doubted it too but being a sceptic by profession I had it cross-checked with colleagues who went through B permit renewals.
Some nationalities are exempt, never heard that a job can make you exempt as well. Also because you do not necessarily have to speak the local language at work.

Can you post a link to that? It is new to me
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:39
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,146
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,867 Times in 8,403 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Even if a language proficiency certificate isn't required for renewal, you'll find learning the local language will help. Should you later decide you want permanent residency or even citizenship, you'll need it anyway. Better to start now while you're young and all that.
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:47
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Yes, when it's time to renew the permit then you must either be enrolled in a course or have a certificate for a certain proficiency. And as far as I know it's B2 for spoken, A1 for written, but you can check that with the cantonal migration office.
Really? For permit B renewal? Source please, for that claim.
No I will not look it up myself but happily give you ribbon of shame if your claim is bullshit.
  #12  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 38
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sabrina has no particular reputation at present
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
A1 is a very basic level. You should be able to pass such an exam after a year living here and taking a few classes.

In another thread you say you're moving to Fribourg. If French is more your style, as Fribourg is a bilingual canton you could do French instead. It depends on your longer term goals
Yes, Fribourg it will be. Thanks for remembering me
  #13  
Old 23.04.2020, 19:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 38
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sabrina has no particular reputation at present
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
My company advised me that I don't have to prove A1 for permit renewal only dependents are required to do so.


"As employee, you are exempted from the obligation to provide the authorities with the proofs of your French language skills because your integration is related to you work.
However, all dependent spouses/partner of non-EU/EFTA B-permit holders, B-permit holders seeking renewal and certain C-permit applicants will require an A1 or equivalent oral skills in the language of the place of residence at the time of registration or most recent residence after 12 months in Switzerland."

Cheers
V helpful. Thanks
  #14  
Old 23.04.2020, 20:33
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,090
Groaned at 122 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 10,944 Times in 4,808 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Can you post a link to that? It is new to me
Page 2 of this pdf clarifies the matter.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/dam/countri...achweis_EN.pdf
The following 3 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 23.04.2020, 22:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Page 2 of this pdf clarifies the matter.

https://www.eda.admin.ch/dam/countri...achweis_EN.pdf
That seems to refer to family reunification with nothing said about the main permit holder though. So maybe they don't need to learn a language to renew their permits. Strange that their dependents have to, but they don't.

So yes, guess what I said was BS.
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 23.04.2020, 22:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 396
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 384 Times in 195 Posts
NichtsBesonders has earned some respectNichtsBesonders has earned some respect
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
That seems to refer to family reunification with nothing said about the main permit holder though.
Well it's because that paragraph lists all cases when one must prove one's language skills and being the main permit holder is not one of those cases.
The following 3 users would like to thank NichtsBesonders for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 24.04.2020, 00:31
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,090
Groaned at 122 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 10,944 Times in 4,808 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A1 level German language pre-req for B Permit.

Quote:
View Post
Well it's because that paragraph lists all cases when one must prove one's language skills and being the main permit holder is not one of those cases.
Exactly.

When the rules changed, this was discussed on EF and it was also raised at one of the British Embassy Brexit roadshows. If a recruit is coming into the country with a secure job offer to fulfill a role, that reason overrides the language requirement until C permit level.
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What german level is required to get Permit C in Schwyz? szdro Permits/visas/government 14 03.04.2017 13:49
German language course level dadanette Language corner 4 10.04.2015 22:07
UK citizen applying for C permit and requisit German level Alemoa Permits/visas/government 4 17.05.2013 16:13
German Language Level Needed for Working. Kelly Weber Employment 12 24.04.2013 11:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0