Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.07.2020, 16:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Dübendorf
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JRKG has no particular reputation at present
student-work B permit after 8 years

Hi Everyone,

I am a non-EU citizen arrived in Switzerland in Sep 2012. I did my master and PhD in here, and started a 3-year postdoc at a different institution in Sep 2018. I heard about the 8-year rule and I wonder what I need to do to extend my permit for Sep 2020- Aug 2021.

Normally I would receive a letter for extension in June, but this year I haven't received anything yet.. I wonder if they would remind me to request an extension or I need to go myself. And I also wonder how difficult the extension will be. I can get letters from the department and my advisor saying I need the next year, and I don't know if it helps.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.07.2020, 12:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Dübendorf
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JRKG has no particular reputation at present
Re: student-work B permit after 8 years

OK, I went to Stadthaus Dübendorf today. It seems the young lady has never heard of the 8-year limit. She proceed my application and charged 102 CHF for the renew.

Does this mean that I will have the new permit, or people in Bern could still reject this?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.07.2020, 12:35
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,738
Groaned at 95 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,883 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: student-work B permit after 8 years

They could reject it, as with every permit application.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.07.2020, 13:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 380
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 373 Times in 188 Posts
NichtsBesonders has earned some respectNichtsBesonders has earned some respect
Re: student-work B permit after 8 years

Quote:
View Post
OK, I went to Stadthaus Dübendorf today. It seems the young lady has never heard of the 8-year limit. She proceed my application and charged 102 CHF for the renew.

Does this mean that I will have the new permit, or people in Bern could still reject this?
The lady at the counter isn't expected to have detailed knowledge of immigration law nuances, she's there literally only to forward your application (and collect the fee) to the Zurich Migrationsamt which might need an extra approval from the federal immigration authority SEM. Your application has been accepted and you've paid the processing fee but it doesn't guarantee anything about its outcome. I suggest you ask the actual immigration authorities starting with MA Zurich (info@ma.zh.ch).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.07.2020, 14:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Dübendorf
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JRKG has no particular reputation at present
Re: student-work B permit after 8 years

Quote:
View Post
The lady at the counter isn't expected to have detailed knowledge of immigration law nuances, she's there literally only to forward your application (and collect the fee) to the Zurich Migrationsamt which might need an extra approval from the federal immigration authority SEM. Your application has been accepted and you've paid the processing fee but it doesn't guarantee anything about its outcome. I suggest you ask the actual immigration authorities starting with MA Zurich (info@ma.zh.ch).
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.07.2020, 23:49
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 247
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: student-work B permit after 8 years

What is this 8 year limit? If you are a postdoc you are still under "training" but this is not the same as when you were a masters/phd. Most institutions will have a 6-year limit for someone under a postdoc contract (either starting from the end of the PhD and accoutning for all those years, or some just for the start of the postdoc at that institution)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.07.2020, 09:26
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,141
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,120 Times in 9,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: student-work B permit after 8 years

Quote:
View Post
What is this 8 year limit? If you are a postdoc you are still under "training" but this is not the same as when you were a masters/phd. Most institutions will have a 6-year limit for someone under a postdoc contract (either starting from the end of the PhD and accoutning for all those years, or some just for the start of the postdoc at that institution)
Foreign students can study here for a maximum of 8 years. When you start getting into things like PhDs/post docs it's a question of whether you're still classed as a student or an employee for the permit I guess.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-EU Student permit years limit? arianemin Permits/visas/government 6 21.04.2021 02:59
Work permit type for spouse of student B visa (non EU), cantonal restrictions on work sukanyan Permits/visas/government 10 30.11.2018 10:36
C-Permit after 5 years as PhD student? claur Permits/visas/government 3 01.08.2016 15:38
Work permit requires three years work experience post-graduation? freshbananas Permits/visas/government 3 07.12.2015 17:54
US citizen student for over 5 years, how long to get C permit? ositoquerido Permits/visas/government 8 25.09.2013 00:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0