Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14.10.2020, 01:27
pkb pkb is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 78
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
pkb has earned some respectpkb has earned some respect
Permit question on dependent

My family and I live in Switzerland and we're currently on permit B. My children and my wife plan to leave Switzerland and be back next year, if in the meantime I changed my permit to C, what kind of permit will they get when they move back to Switzerland next year? Will they all get permit C like I do, or they will still be on permit-B?

Updated: found this link:

"You are holding a settlement permit (permit C)
Third-country nationals holding a settlement permit (permit C) may bring, under the condition that they live together, the following family members to Switzerland under the family reunification programme:

Spouse, registered partnership,
Children under the age of 18.
Upon arrival in Switzerland, family members must present the following documents:

Anyone who will be dependent upon you must present a letter issued by the authorities of the country of origin confirming that you will pay their living expenses.
Spouse and children between 12 and 18 will receive a residence permit (permit B). This permit will have the same period of validity as your own settlement permit. Family members may take up employment but must register with the cantonal immigration and labour market authorities. If they live five years in Switzerland without interruption, they will be granted a settlement permit (permit C). Children under 12 will directly receive a settlement permit (permit C)."

So seems to me my dependent will be granted permit B first, then after another five years they can convert to permit C, though I didn't find any relevant regulations on the conversion after 5 years, is it automatic, or they have to meet certain criteria as well?


Last edited by pkb; 14.10.2020 at 01:39.
Reply With Quote
Old 14.10.2020, 07:55
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,659
Groaned at 384 Times in 296 Posts
Thanked 16,601 Times in 9,378 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permit question on dependent

How long will they be out of the country? If less than 6 months there's no need to deregister and they'd keep their B permits.

If they do deregister then I think they'd need to show they either speak a Swiss language to B2 level or be enrolled in a language course at least to get new B permits and would need to show language proficiency for a C.

Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about the switching dependent VISA (B permit) pengmu Permits/visas/government 15 05.11.2018 16:16
Non EU, dependent B permit, self employment/consultant question MAWLER Permits/visas/government 4 11.03.2011 19:05
Dependent B permit - renewal question LiquidPaper Permits/visas/government 1 05.02.2011 21:17
Have dependent L permit, applied for L WP, can she travel on L dependent now? mashu786 Permits/visas/government 0 10.03.2009 13:26

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0