English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Permits/visas/government (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/)
-   -   What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister? (https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-visas-government/303590-what-documents-will-i-need-supply-added-zivilstandsregister.html)

reddog 11.04.2021 11:34

What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
I need to be added to the Zivilstandsregister (Zurich City) for Citizenship.

I contacted the Zivilstandsregister and they said "fill in a form and we will then write back asking for further documents from your home country"

I filled in the form and sent it off, unfortunately it is taking a while for them to reply.

Can I ask what documents they will ask for, so that I can prepare in advance?

I am not married and have no children.

JulietteK 11.04.2021 11:53

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Birth certificate (less than 6 months old)

In your case bachelorhood certificate (less than 6 months old)

If not in German/French/Italian/English then translated by an appropriate translator (with a copy of their ID)

Depending on the combination of your country of birth / citizenship you may or may not need to get these document apostilled.

If your county of birth issues an international format birth certificate no need for apostille.

If your country of citizenship has signed the European Convention on the Abolition of Legalisation of Documents executed by Diplomatic Agents or Consular Officers then any documents issued by your embassy or consulate in Switzerland suffice as is and need not an apostille.

reddog 11.04.2021 15:01

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
thanks, I am British. I don't think there is a "bachelorhood certificate" in Britain.

Also this the British Embassy has a document you can print out that there is no central civil status registry in Britain.

However if you are getting married there is: Certificate of No Impediment

I think I will need to call the Embassy unless anyone has an input?

NichtsBesonders 11.04.2021 21:43

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
If it is not possible to provide a document from your home country that proves your bachelorhood then they'll ask you to submit a notarized sworn statement that you have never been married.
For some reason they first wanted me to get such a statement notarized at my country's Swiss consulate but in the end they accepted one notarized at a random notary public in Zurich when I suggested to them that the consul of my home country had exactly the same amount of knowledge that I was not lying as a Swiss notary public (i.e. zero).

Chuff 11.04.2021 21:48

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NichtsBesonders (Post 3295271)
If it is not possible to provide a document from your home country that proves your bachelorhood then they'll ask you to submit a notarized sworn statement that you have never been married.

I sent my application in Q3 last year and definitely did not have to provide this Bachelorhood certificate... I have never even heard of such a thing.

JulietteK 11.04.2021 23:14

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 3295273)
I sent my application in Q3 last year and definitely did not have to provide this Bachelorhood certificate... I have never even heard of such a thing.

Maybe because you are married (or divorced) and your civil status is already in the Zivilstandsregister.

This thread is not about a naturalization application but registering at the Zivilstandsregister prior to submitting it. In OP's case this is as an unmarried person (hence the bachelorhood certificate) not born in Switzerland meaning they would not show up in the federal Zivilstandsregister beforehand.

Chuff 12.04.2021 06:48

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295296)
Maybe because you are married (or divorced) and your civil status is already in the Zivilstandsregister..

Obviously I am not married or I would not have made a comment about having to confirm my bachelorhood. And yes I know what the thread is about, as I wrote I did the same application and preparation last year. :rolleyes:

JulietteK 12.04.2021 06:56

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 3295314)
Obviously I am not married or I would not have made a comment about having to confirm my bachelorhood. And yes I know what the thread is about, as I wrote I did the same application and preparation last year. :rolleyes:

Then as indicated in a previous post your country does not issue bachelorhood certificates and you had to sign a document stating your civil status (as an exception according to the ordinance on civil status) :rolleyes:

Chuff 12.04.2021 06:59

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295316)
Then as indicated in a previous post your country does not issue bachelorhood certificates and you had to sign a document stating your civil status (as an exception according to the ordinance on civil status) :rolleyes:

Nothing I submitted was 'notarized', I just ticked the "single and unmarried" boxes. And seriously, how would my 'former country' know if I was single or unmarried, when I haven't lived there in so long and I am not part of the system? It make no logical sense. :confused:

The only thing I got from my country was a fresh birth certificate.

JulietteK 12.04.2021 07:48

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 3295317)
Nothing I submitted was 'notarized', I just ticked the "single and unmarried" boxes. And seriously, how would my 'former country' know if I was single or unmarried, when I haven't lived there in so long and I am not part of the system? It make no logical sense. :confused:

Because you never requested to get married. If you married prior to naturalizing as a Swiss your country would have known about this change in civil status as you would have had to submit civil status documents issued by them and not Switzerland.

Quote:

Ist es einer ausländischen Person im Zusammenhang mit der Aufnahme in das Personenstandsregister unmöglich oder unzumutbar, Angaben über ihren Personenstand mit Urkunden zu belegen, so wird geprüft, ob eine Erklärung nach Artikel 41 Absatz 1 ZGB entgegengenommen werden kann.

If it is impossible or unreasonable for a foreign person to be able to substantiate information about his or her civil status with documents in connection with the entry in the civil status register, it will be checked whether a declaration can be accepted in accordance with Article 41 paragraph 1 of the Civil Code.
Art. 15a Abs. 3 ZStV

Quote:

1 Wenn Angaben über den Personenstand durch Urkunden zu belegen sind, kann die kantonale Aufsichtsbehörde den Nachweis durch Abgabe einer Erklärung vor der Zivilstandsbeamtin oder dem Zivilstandsbeamten bewilligen, sofern es sich nach hinreichenden Bemühungen als unmöglich oder unzumutbar erweist, die Urkunden zu beschaffen, und die Angaben nicht streitig sind.

2 Die Zivilstandsbeamtin oder der Zivilstandsbeamte ermahnt die erklärende Person zur Wahrheit und weist sie auf die Straffolgen einer falschen Erklärung hin.

1 If information about the civil status is to be substantiated by documents, the cantonal supervisory authority can authorize the proof by submitting a declaration to the civil registry officer if, after sufficient efforts, it turns out to be impossible or unreasonable to obtain the documents and the information are not in dispute.

2 The civil registry officer warns the declaring person to tell the truth and informs them of the consequences of a false declaration.
Art. 41 Schweizerisches Zivilgesetzbuch

You didn't 'just tick' anything. You made a declaration about your civil status as your country doesn't issue bachelorhood certificates which would be criminally prosecuted if found out to be untrue.

Chuff 12.04.2021 08:05

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295323)
Because you never requested to get married. If you married prior to naturalizing as a Swiss your country would have known about this change in civil status as you would have had to submit civil status documents issued by them and not Switzerland.



Art. 15a Abs. 3 ZStV



Art. 41 Schweizerisches Zivilgesetzbuch

You didn't 'just tick' anything. You made a declaration about your civil status as your country doesn't issue bachelorhood certificates which would be criminally prosecuted if found out to be untrue.

You said "notarized", which means to "have (the signature on a document) attested to by a notary.". That is not the same as just signing a document declaring your civil status and you are perhaps over complicating your explanation of what is required as part of the application process.

People sign documents and make self-declarations all the time, it is perfectly normal with almost any legally binding document that you sign.

JulietteK 12.04.2021 08:09

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 3295324)
You said "notarized", which means to "have (the signature on a document) attested to by a notary.". That is not the same as just signing a document declaring your civil status and you are perhaps over complicating your explanation of what is required as part of the application process.

People sign documents and make self-declarations all the time, it is perfectly normal with almost any legally binding document that you sign.

If you read above I never said 'notarized'.

Another user explained how they proposed the alternative of having the document notarized rather than issued by their home country's embassy/consulate, which was what was initially requested by the civil status office.

Chuff 12.04.2021 08:31

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295325)
If you read above I never said 'notarized'.

Another user explained how they proposed the alternative of having the document notarized rather than issued by their home country's embassy/consulate, which was what was initially requested by the civil status office.

Apologies I got your usernames mixed up for the notarized part, but the point is that the Bachelorhood certificate was not a specific document on the list of requirements and I simply indicated my marital status and signed the document, like with any other such document of its type. Also, my 'previous country' would not be informed of any changes to my marital status anyway prior to my application for CH nationality as I have no correspondence with them whatsoever so there is no reason for them to know. The only way they would know is if I had got married there before coming to CH... which I didn't.

Anyway, lets end it there to avoid going around in circles. :)

st2lemans 12.04.2021 08:33

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295323)
If you married prior to naturalizing as a Swiss your country would have known about this change in civil status.

No, why would they? :confused:

Tom

greenmount 12.04.2021 08:35

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 3295333)
Apologies I got your usernames mixed up for the notarized part, but the point is that the Bachelorhood certificate was not a specific document on the list of requirements and I simply indicated my marital status and signed the document, like with any other such document of its type. Anyway, lets end it there to avoid going around in circles. :)

I have never heard of Bachelorhood certificate...:msntongue:

Isn't it assumed that those who are not married i.e. can't provide a marriage certificate are "bachelors"? Does CH issue such things? :confused: Where this idea comes from?

JulietteK 12.04.2021 08:45

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 3295333)
Apologies I got your usernames mixed up for the notarized part, but the point is that the Bachelorhood certificate was not a specific document on the list of requirements and I simply indicated my marital status and signed the document, like with any other such document of its type. Also, my 'previous country' would not be informed of any changes to my marital status anyway prior to my application for CH nationality as I have no correspondence with them whatsoever so there is no reason for them to know. The only way they would know is if I had got married there before coming to CH... which I didn't.

Anyway, lets end it there to avoid going around in circles. :)


The standard to prove one's civil status is unmarried is through a bachelor's certificate. It wasn't a requirement for you because you are a (I presume) British national and your country doesn't issue bachelorhood certificates hence your written declaration as an alternative per the ordinance on civil status quoted above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3295334)
No, why would they? :confused:

Tom

Because to marry in the first place you need to provide confirmation you are unmarried. If not already on the Swiss civil status register, the home country would need to be informed of this change ín civil status to 'married' to be in a position to issue marriage certificates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmount (Post 3295336)
I have never heard of Bachelorhood certificate...:msntongue:

Isn't it assumed that those who are not married i.e. can't provide a marriage certificate are "bachelors"? Does CH issue such things? :confused: Where this idea comes from?

No this cannot be assumed for foreigners requesting entry into the Swiss civil status register. For Swiss citizens it is simply an extract of their entry in the central civil register.

st2lemans 12.04.2021 08:48

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295338)
Because to marry in the first place you need to provide confirmation you are unmarried. If not already on the Swiss civil status register, the home country would need to be informed of this change ín civil status to 'married' to be in a position to issue marriage certificates.

Some countries, such as the US, have no registry of civil status.

Tom

cdcdoc 12.04.2021 08:52

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
I have just done this also for citizenship and as you are not married the only thing that you need is a birth certificate. In Romania we have now what is called Multilingual Extract of your birth certificate. Google says UK has one...You do not have to notarize it as it is accepted as an official copy but not more than 6 months old. A friend of mind from Hungary got his from his embassy in Bern. As UK is not EU it might not be accepted anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddog (Post 3295118)
I need to be added to the Zivilstandsregister (Zurich City) for Citizenship.

I contacted the Zivilstandsregister and they said "fill in a form and we will then write back asking for further documents from your home country"

I filled in the form and sent it off, unfortunately it is taking a while for them to reply.

Can I ask what documents they will ask for, so that I can prepare in advance?

I am not married and have no children.


JulietteK 12.04.2021 08:54

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3295339)
Some countries, such as the US, have no registry of civil status.

Tom

Fine, but they would have been informed of the marriage via:

Quote:

Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry: Some countries require an affidavit by the parties as proof of legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract. No such government-issued document exists in the United States. You may execute such an affidavit at a U.S. embassy or consulate. The U.S. embassy or consulate cannot attest to your marital status. However, most countries will accept a statement from you regarding your ability to marry if your signature on the affidavit has been notarized by a U.S. consular officer.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ge-abroad.html

st2lemans 12.04.2021 09:08

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295342)
Fine, but they would have been informed of the marriage

The US wouldn't be.

Tom

JulietteK 12.04.2021 09:16

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3295344)
The US wouldn't be.

Tom

See above from a quote of the US Department of State's website.

cdcdoc 12.04.2021 10:26

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3295344)
The US wouldn't be.

Tom

I think she is getting things mixed up...it talks about the ability to marry so maybe age or other legal aspects...the discussion is pointless :) I have never heard that one needs to prove if married or not...not married means not married. :msntongue:

JulietteK 12.04.2021 10:43

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcdoc (Post 3295369)
I think she is getting things mixed up...it talks about the ability to marry so maybe age or other legal aspects...the discussion is pointless :) I have never heard that one needs to prove if married or not...not married means not married. :msntongue:

No it clearly says

Quote:

legal capacity to enter into a marriage contract
which is among other things being unmarried or divorced.

In the case of the US, where a civil status registry does not exist, they put the responsibility on the person wishing to marry by making the person sign an affidavit attesting to their civil status. I let you research what legal implications signing an affidavit involves.

JulietteK 12.04.2021 13:38

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3295440)
I don't seen how a country would know that one of it's citizens were going to get or had got married, abroad. If I apply for a newly issued copy of my original birth certificate, from my home country, that does not necessarily imply that I will use it to change my civil status.

A birth certificate certifies precisely that, a birth and does not attest to one's civil status.

To marry one needs to provide proof they are not already married (via a civil status document in some countries or a sworn affidavit in others). In requesting such document one will be asked why they need it. By replying 'preparation for marriage' the authority in question will request that the person update their civil status in their own registry (if it exists for that country).

All this to avoid legal marriages with multiple people in different countries.

st2lemans 12.04.2021 14:24

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295347)
See above from a quote of the US Department of State's website.

I never informed the US when I got married, nor did I when I became widowed, thus they never had a clue either way.

And who gives a rat's ass about he US Department of State? :msnsick:

Tom

st2lemans 12.04.2021 14:30

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295376)
No it clearly says

which is among other things being unmarried or divorced.

In the case of the US, where a civil status registry does not exist, they put the responsibility on the person wishing to marry by making the person sign an affidavit attesting to their civil status. I let you research what legal implications signing an affidavit involves.

I got married in the US, and never signed any such thing.

Tom

st2lemans 12.04.2021 14:31

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulietteK (Post 3295342)
Fine, but they would have been informed of the marriage via:



https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ge-abroad.html

That is for marriages abroad. :rolleyes:

Tom

JulietteK 12.04.2021 15:05

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
OK let’s derail the thread a bit more, anyone else?

JulietteK 12.04.2021 15:07

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3295476)
That is for marriages abroad. :rolleyes:

Tom

That’s exactly what we are talking about here...:rolleyes:

Urs Max 16.04.2021 11:19

Re: What documents will I need to supply to be added to the Zivilstandsregister?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3295440)
I've never heard of any government (let's say, Switzerland) informing any other government (let's say the USA or the UK) that one of their (USA or UK) citizens had now married locally (in Switzerland).

In what world does an individual's lack of knowledge equal proof of inexistence?

Austria <-> Switzerland
see here


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0