Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.05.2021, 23:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 23
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
maam has no particular reputation at present
Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I wonder if someone could help me.

So, I have just received a job offer in Zurich and I am currently waiting for the work permit (B). ATM, I live in London.

My wife will be my dependant in Switzerland and FYI we are both non-EU.

However, my wife is looking to pursue her masters in Konstanz (which is just 50 minutes away). Therefore, as a non-EU, she would also need to apply for a student visa to study in Germany and technically, I could also apply to be her dependant which shall then allow me to legally live in Germany.

So, may I know if I would be allowed to live in Konstanz with her, but work in Zurich? Would this be allowed once I have obtained my Swiss work permit and dependant visa in Germany?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.05.2021, 20:56
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,470
Groaned at 92 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 19,984 Times in 8,842 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Welcome to the Forum.

You posted this late last night so have a bump. I believe any non-EU living in a border zone must have permanent residency there before being allowed a cross-border (G) permit in Switzerland.

But hopefully someone will be along with links soon to clarify.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.05.2021, 21:22
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,790
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,883 Times in 10,005 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new here and I wonder if someone could help me.

So, I have just received a job offer in Zurich and I am currently waiting for the work permit (B). ATM, I live in London.

My wife will be my dependant in Switzerland and FYI we are both non-EU.

However, my wife is looking to pursue her masters in Konstanz (which is just 50 minutes away). Therefore, as a non-EU, she would also need to apply for a student visa to study in Germany and technically, I could also apply to be her dependant which shall then allow me to legally live in Germany.

So, may I know if I would be allowed to live in Konstanz with her, but work in Zurich? Would this be allowed once I have obtained my Swiss work permit and dependant visa in Germany?

Thank you.
Short answer, no. You must live in the same canton as your workplace is based in and certainly can't live in another country. If she really wants to do this then you're going to have to face up to being separated for a while and only visiting one another when you can. She won't get a family reunification permit for Switzerland if she's not living with you here' part of the requirement for family reunification is that you live together in the same accommodation. She would only be able to visit as a tourist.

While it is possible sometimes to get a G permit for cross borders, as a non-EU national you would have needed to live in Germany long enough to get permanent residency there and to live in a border zone for at least 6 months.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...willigung.html

Can she not pursue her masters at a uni in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.05.2021, 04:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 23
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
maam has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

You posted this late last night so have a bump. I believe any non-EU living in a border zone must have permanent residency there before being allowed a cross-border (G) permit in Switzerland.

But hopefully someone will be along with links soon to clarify.
Thank you for the bump.

I see... I just thought that if she has a visa to study in Germany, she could - anyway, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.05.2021, 04:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Zurich
Posts: 23
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
maam has no particular reputation at present
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Quote:
View Post
Short answer, no. You must live in the same canton as your workplace is based in and certainly can't live in another country. If she really wants to do this then you're going to have to face up to being separated for a while and only visiting one another when you can. She won't get a family reunification permit for Switzerland if she's not living with you here' part of the requirement for family reunification is that you live together in the same accommodation. She would only be able to visit as a tourist.

While it is possible sometimes to get a G permit for cross borders, as a non-EU national you would have needed to live in Germany long enough to get permanent residency there and to live in a border zone for at least 6 months.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...willigung.html

Can she not pursue her masters at a uni in Switzerland?
I see, thank you your advice.

So, even if we get the Swiss L/B permit first (where I would be main applicant and she would be my dependant), live in Zurich for a year and then, apply for the German student visa to study for example, in Konstanz the following year (where my wife would be the main applicant and I would be her dependant), we won't be able to live in Konstanz?

Also, what if we keep our flat in Zurich and rent another one in Konstanz? Could we still not do that?

It's not that my wife can't pursue her masters in Switzerland, she'd love to, but she thinks that it would be very difficult for her to get into either UZH or ETH, particularly in her field based on her undergrad results.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.05.2021, 07:31
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,695
Groaned at 385 Times in 323 Posts
Thanked 15,283 Times in 7,049 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

No, as a non EU you have to live in the Kanton where you got the permit. MF posted the link. You cannot be a Grenzgaenger.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.05.2021, 07:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,503
Groaned at 2,578 Times in 1,840 Posts
Thanked 39,643 Times in 18,684 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Quote:
View Post
Iwhat if we keep our flat in Zurich and rent another one in Konstanz? Could we still not do that?
That is fine, but your residence would still be in ZH.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.05.2021, 09:40
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,486
Groaned at 114 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 7,242 Times in 3,303 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Surely the easiest thing to do would be to see if as a Non-EU Swiss resident permit holder, your wife could attend the Uni in Konstanz. Then live somewhere like Winterthur and she can commute every day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.05.2021, 09:58
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,790
Groaned at 432 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 17,883 Times in 10,005 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working in Switzerland and living in Germany as a non-EU

Quote:
View Post
I see, thank you your advice.

So, even if we get the Swiss L/B permit first (where I would be main applicant and she would be my dependant), live in Zurich for a year and then, apply for the German student visa to study for example, in Konstanz the following year (where my wife would be the main applicant and I would be her dependant), we won't be able to live in Konstanz?

Also, what if we keep our flat in Zurich and rent another one in Konstanz? Could we still not do that?

It's not that my wife can't pursue her masters in Switzerland, she'd love to, but she thinks that it would be very difficult for her to get into either UZH or ETH, particularly in her field based on her undergrad results.
It doesn't work that way. Your centre of life has to be here so living in Germany doesn't cut it. You'd lose your Swiss permit and your job.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
german student visa, germany, swiss work permit, switzerland, work permit




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working in Germany, living in Switzerland Squeeeez Employment 10 11.03.2020 14:50
Living in Germany, Working in Switzerland culoka Finance/banking/taxation 4 12.04.2015 17:09
Living in Switzerland, working in Germany reggieandmonkey Finance/banking/taxation 0 13.05.2013 15:30
Working in Germany .. Living in Switzerland gudeksha Permits/visas/government 5 28.08.2012 09:54
Living in Germany working in Switzerland zojo Finance/banking/taxation 0 22.07.2012 12:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0