Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27.05.2021, 09:49
kngavl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bärn
Posts: 718
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 327 Posts
kngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond repute
Academic 10 Years C Permit

I'm Non-EU (Canadian), I've been in Switzerland for just short of 10 years and I've stayed in academia (I'm a researcher). VINTA doesn't apply for me and my years don't appear to count. I still have a few years on my contract and I just realized that at 10 years a foreigner I may actually be able to apply for a C permit according to the FNIA Article 34:


I speak and write German and will test out for C1 later this year but I know that on the early permit there is a clause that prevents the years as a student (and also as a postdoc) from counting unless the individual becomes employed in a non-academic setting for 2 years.

The question is, does that clause apply for the 10 year C permit application?

Article 34.2.a: Foreign nationals may be granted a permanent residence permit if they have resided in Switzerland for a minimum of ten years in total on the basis with a short stay or residence permit and have held a residence permit without interruption for the last five years.


Article 34.5: Temporary periods of stay, in particular for education or training (Art. 27), do not count towards the uninterrupted period of stay in the last five years in accordance with paragraphs 2 letter a and 4. Periods of stay for education or training (Art. 27) are included if the person concerned, after their completion, held a permanent residence permit for an uninterrupted period of two years.

That text kind of implies that I will never be eligible for a C-permit, no?
Reply With Quote

academic, c-permit, postdoc

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non EU C permit after 10 years uninterrupted stay or total 10 years titanns Permits/visas/government 10 04.04.2021 19:12
C permit for non-EU 5 years in CH, 2 years on L Jannetta Permits/visas/government 14 08.02.2017 14:47
Taxation at source, G permit, bank accounts and insurance: the clueless academic odoacre Finance/banking/taxation 9 16.10.2014 16:57
B Permit -> C Permit (Non-EU) after 5 years + Social Benefit sankbhat Permits/visas/government 11 24.12.2013 14:25
No of years required to get open B permit from restricted B permit - NON EU Dreispitz Permits/visas/government 8 19.10.2010 18:45

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0