Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.06.2021, 11:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
zabuzel has no particular reputation at present
can B and C permits eb kept while outside of switzerland?

Hello everyone,

I have quick question with regards to the validity of B and C permits.
As I understand, the permits will be removed if one leaves Switzerland for more than 6 months, and in the case of the C permits this can be extended to 4 years.
However I do not understand how leaving Switzerlad is legally defined. Is it about cancelling the insurance, leaving jobs and so on? or is it the physical departure?
I am asking as I do hold a B permit myself, after having lived in Switzerland for more than 10 years. I applied for the C permit last year and still waiting. However I would like to spend around a year in Denmark with my girlfriend, as she will start her studies there, and I do not know if I can keep my permit in Switzerland. I should mention that I came to Switzerland on the grounds of family reunification, and my father pays my health insurance on a constant basis, and we can keep paying for it while I am abroad. I am also about to complete my studies in Geneva, so I am considering taking a short-term job either remotely from a Swiss company or in-person in Denmark.

Would I be able to stay and live in Denmark and keep my permit in Switzerland at the same time (assuming I will pay my fiscal obligations in Switzerland, including the health insurance and so on)?

Thanks for your inisght.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank zabuzel for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 16.06.2021, 12:15
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can B and C permits eb kept while outside of switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone,

I have quick question with regards to the validity of B and C permits.
As I understand, the permits will be removed if one leaves Switzerland for more than 6 months, and in the case of the C permits this can be extended to 4 years.
However I do not understand how leaving Switzerlad is legally defined. Is it about cancelling the insurance, leaving jobs and so on? or is it the physical departure?
I am asking as I do hold a B permit myself, after having lived in Switzerland for more than 10 years. I applied for the C permit last year and still waiting. However I would like to spend around a year in Denmark with my girlfriend, as she will start her studies there, and I do not know if I can keep my permit in Switzerland. I should mention that I came to Switzerland on the grounds of family reunification, and my father pays my health insurance on a constant basis, and we can keep paying for it while I am abroad. I am also about to complete my studies in Geneva, so I am considering taking a short-term job either remotely from a Swiss company or in-person in Denmark.

Would I be able to stay and live in Denmark and keep my permit in Switzerland at the same time (assuming I will pay my fiscal obligations in Switzerland, including the health insurance and so on)?

Thanks for your inisght.
Deregistering at the city hall is the definition of leaving, only then can you cancel health insurance.

You would need to stay registered in CH & visit from time to time, once your centre of life has changed & if not working in CH you are going to get caught out sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.06.2021, 12:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
zabuzel has no particular reputation at present
Re: can B and C permits eb kept while outside of switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Deregistering at the city hall is the definition of leaving, only then can you cancel health insurance.

You would need to stay registered in CH & visit from time to time, once your centre of life has changed & if not working in CH you are going to get caught out sooner or later.




Thanks for your reply. So would a remote job from a Swiss company performed from outside of Switzerland be considered as "shifting the center of life"?

And in case of not having a job at all: Do you think that a fresh graduate not having a job while resident in Switzerland for about a year would raise some eyebrows? I am registered there as living with my parents, so in theory (though not common among the Swiss) they could cover my expenses anyways from the migration office point of view.

It's really annoying that they apply this "centre of life" requirements so strictily, especially if the Swiss state doesn't have any additional costs with me being a resident (never requested unemployement benefits or any kind of public aid).

The reason I do not want to give up my current permit is because I am waiting for the C, and I am intending to apply for citizenship once I get it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.06.2021, 12:46
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,934
Groaned at 447 Times in 341 Posts
Thanked 22,137 Times in 11,486 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can B and C permits eb kept while outside of switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your reply. So would a remote job from a Swiss company performed from outside of Switzerland be considered as "shifting the center of life"?

And in case of not having a job at all: Do you think that a fresh graduate not having a job while resident in Switzerland for about a year would raise some eyebrows? I am registered there as living with my parents, so in theory (though not common among the Swiss) they could cover my expenses anyways from the migration office point of view.

It's really annoying that they apply this "centre of life" requirements so strictily, especially if the Swiss state doesn't have any additional costs with me being a resident (never requested unemployement benefits or any kind of public aid).

The reason I do not want to give up my current permit is because I am waiting for the C, and I am intending to apply for citizenship once I get it.
Unless you return to CH on a regular basis probably.

If you are not living here you have no chance of getting Swiss citizenship, the police will randomly pop in for a chat................. Then if they miss you a couple of times will probably speak to the neighbours to ask if you are still living with your parents.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.06.2021, 12:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Luzern
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
zabuzel has no particular reputation at present
Re: can B and C permits be kept while outside of switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Unless you return to CH on a regular basis probably.

If you are not living here you have no chance of getting Swiss citizenship, the police will randomly pop in for a chat................. Then if they miss you a couple of times will probably speak to the neighbours to ask if you are still living with your parents.
Yes, I will apply for the citizenship only once I know I will be in Switzerland for an extented period of time again. That much I figured I should do

Do you think they perform this kind of checks also for the C permits?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.06.2021, 14:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Basel-Stadt
Posts: 80
Groaned at 20 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 96 Times in 44 Posts
CliiniMuus has earned some respectCliiniMuus has earned some respect
Re: can B and C permits eb kept while outside of switzerland?

Here are some of the other threads on this topic, with lots of useful info on them:


https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...ml#post3315827




https://www.englishforum.ch/permits-...n-permits.html




https://www.englishforum.ch/leaving-...ts-frozen.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leaving, permit, residence, switzerland




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice about permits in Switzerland nsbasel Permits/visas/government 4 08.12.2014 16:00
Busking permits in Switzerland? Elliott Permits/visas/government 12 20.08.2009 21:51
Leaving Switzerland and C permits Bryn Permits/visas/government 7 07.05.2009 12:11
Permits etc. for buying a used car in Switzerland xeniadormandy Transportation/driving 1 14.04.2009 08:15
re-entering switzerland before getting permits garyshaw Permits/visas/government 9 15.11.2007 14:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0