Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26.07.2021, 01:11
jws jws is offline
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: London
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jws has no particular reputation at present
Freelancing as Student (EU citizen)


I'm an Italian citizen looking to move to Zurich to study, and I'd like to do a small amount of freelance work for overseas clients to support myself while I'm there.

I'm confused about the residence permit - it seems that each type of permit doesn't quite fit my needs

For example:
I see that a residence permit for a student allows 15 hours of employment a week, but is freelance work prohibited?
I see that to get a residence permit for a freelance business it is required to prove a high level of income/viability for their business, but will the same threshold of income be applied to a student who only wants to work a small number of hours a week? My income will be roughly 900CHF p/m

I'd really appreciate your help! If I cannot work freelance for ~10 hours a week alongside my studies then my plans will be ruined.. I hope there is a way to make it work!
Reply With Quote
Old 26.07.2021, 07:43
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 23,123
Groaned at 456 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 18,337 Times in 10,199 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freelancing as Student (EU citizen)

I'm not sure, but I suspect as a student - which is the permit you'll have - won't allow you to be self-employed since there's no way to guarantee you only work 15 hours a week during term time.

From the ETHZ website:


Still, best thing to do to be sure is to contact the cantonal migration office and ask them.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freelancing while on a student visa (language school) johnnybp Permits/visas/government 3 10.09.2016 02:21
Possibility as Swiss Citizen/PR (PhD Student) StudentToBe Permits/visas/government 11 16.08.2015 17:20
husband of EU citizen/student mindyanne Permits/visas/government 1 01.02.2011 22:38
PhD-Student (EU Citizen) dependend visa for wife (Non - EU Citizen) nico1980 Permits/visas/government 2 01.02.2011 09:50
Student Loans for US citizen in Basel EandT Finance/banking/taxation 0 05.01.2010 11:45

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0