Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.08.2021, 18:13
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BGray has no particular reputation at present
Swiss Carte De Legitimation - Live in France as US citizen

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has already been answered, but, I have truly scoured this page and cannot find the answer if it has. Please forgive dual posting.

I am a US citizen. I am moving to Geneva area for employment with a UN Agency in Geneva. I will receive a carte de legitimation (CDL) as a result (Swiss residence and work permit, as you probably know). I prefer to live in neighboring France because it is cheaper and offers larger more rural spaces, I won't need to be in the office every day, and I have two large dogs (making accommodation in a small apartment in Swiss area around Geneva impractical).

I am wondering if anyone knows what additional permits/visas a US citizen with a Swiss CDL would need to live in France? Even the French Consulate here in the US did not clearly answer the question and I've called almost every consulate, permanent mission etc possible with no success.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
Old 06.08.2021, 21:23
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Port-Valais (was SFO)
Posts: 449
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 182 Posts
Caryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Carte De Legitimation - Live in France as US citizen

Many diplomats and international civil servants posted to Geneva live in France. (I didn't, but then my Mission paid my rent. I lived in Vessy.)

I recall a notorious instance when an Algerian diplomat accredited to the UN was stopped and investigated (!) at Meyrin or environs. Scandalous: he would have had the same Carte de Légitimation I had, but perhaps not Swiss diplomatic licence plates. And of course he would have spoken fluent French.

There has to be a personnel office at the UN that knows what to do and will do it.

Here's a page on the taxation status of UN staff as to France: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/em...internationaux

Also not relevant to your question directly, but relevant to your status: https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...immunites.html

This essay doesn't answer your question but does survey the universe of frontier workers https://www.unige.ch/sciences-societ...erEnSuisse.pdf

Presumably like me you have employer-sponsored private health insurance. If not, read this: https://www.cleiss.fr/particuliers/j...en_suisse.html

Here's a real estate agent's view: https://www.agence-immo-ds.com/ou-ha...se-geneve.html

Last edited by Caryl; 06.08.2021 at 21:46.
Reply With Quote

carte de legitimation, frontalier, us citizens

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AVS Carte legitimation heavenscent Permits/visas/government 1 03.06.2014 17:56
B Permit not renewed, but got a Carte de Legitimation - what about my Swiss Pensions? RudiJD Finance/banking/taxation 2 30.10.2012 17:40
Visiting the UK, with a Non-EU passport, with a swiss "carte de legitimation" Kalvaer General off-topic 7 21.07.2011 23:03
B to Carte de Legitimation pickles Permits/visas/government 3 07.04.2011 15:34
carte de legitimation lolla Permits/visas/government 1 16.02.2011 10:06

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0