Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15.08.2021, 11:40
DavidSJC's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 119
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 49 Times in 20 Posts
DavidSJC has earned some respectDavidSJC has earned some respect
Application for C permit in Canton Zurich for US citizens after 5 years

The previous threads on this topic are kind of old, I'm wondering if anybody has done this recently. I'm a US citizens working in Canton Zurich for more than 5 years now. I know that US citizens can apply for C permit after 5 years. I just never got around to it and continued renewing my B permit every year

I'm wondering what is the exact procedure. Some threads seem to suggest that all I have to do is to write in my B permit renewal form that "I want the C permit because I've been here for 5 years and I'm a US citizen" (in German of course). And submit a A2 language certificate.

But most of the discussion for C permit revolve around non-US/Canada, non-EU citizens wanting the 5 year "fast track good integration" process. And that requires a lot more documents like proof of no criminal record, documents showing that you owe no money and did not use welfare, employment contract, etc.

So do those documents apply for US citizens?

Reply With Quote
Old 15.08.2021, 17:04
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 428
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 409 Times in 210 Posts
NichtsBesonders has earned some respectNichtsBesonders has earned some respect
Re: Application for C permit in Canton Zurich for US citizens after 5 years

View Post
So do those documents apply for US citizens?
Yes, they do. I advise reading this document, your situation is handled in paragraph 4.1.2 and the list of documents you need to submit is under 4.2.1/2.
And yes, in Zurich (city) the correct procedure to apply for a C permit at the B renewal time would be to write that in the remarks section of the B renewal form and hand in all the required docs at the Kreisbüro. It's not mandatory to wait until you have to renew the B permit but you'd probably have to ask Migrationsamt ZH about what to do in this case.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NichtsBesonders for this useful post:

c permit in 5 years, us citizens

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permit application after 6 years, non EU - my story mszurichexpat Permits/visas/government 16 09.08.2021 17:20
Citizenship Application - When to start; EU Permit C ; 10 years in Zurich sholay Permits/visas/government 2 22.10.2020 22:20
Permit application - change of Canton FTettamanzi Permits/visas/government 7 05.02.2018 19:55
Non-EU C-Permit application through Vinta (2 years break in EU) bornfreediedstudying Permits/visas/government 7 30.12.2015 09:34
C Permit automatic for US citizens after 5 years? decider10 Permits/visas/government 13 29.10.2014 14:18

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0