Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.08.2008, 13:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
christolles has no particular reputation at present
US-based company hired by Swiss NGO - visa needed?

Hello all. You've been very helpful with my other question, and now I have another:

My company is registered in the US as an LLC. I am an American citizen, and will be hired by a Swiss NGO for pro-bono work. I will be in Switzerland for a few months, working on-premises with the Swiss NGO.

Do I need a work permit? I personally am NOT being hired by the Swiss NGO - I am simply working in my capacity as an employee of my US-based company.

What visa, if any, do I need? I am already in Switzerland.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.08.2008, 14:20
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US-based company hired by Swiss NGO - visa needed?

Quote:
View Post
Hello all. You've been very helpful with my other question, and now I have another:

My company is registered in the US as an LLC. I am an American citizen, and will be hired by a Swiss NGO for pro-bono work. I will be in Switzerland for a few months, working on-premises with the Swiss NGO.

Do I need a work permit? I personally am NOT being hired by the Swiss NGO - I am simply working in my capacity as an employee of my US-based company.

What visa, if any, do I need? I am already in Switzerland.

Thank you!
Your US company needs a presence in Switzerland in order to employ you here. That presence would need to arrange your residence / work permit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.08.2008, 14:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
christolles has no particular reputation at present
Re: US-based company hired by Swiss NGO - visa needed?

Sorry for asking such obvious questions - I'd be happy to read a good website if I could find it, but what would constitute a "presence"?

Does this simply mean that no Swiss NGO can contract work from any other organization in the world unless they have a Swiss "presence"?!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.08.2008, 14:31
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US-based company hired by Swiss NGO - visa needed?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry for asking such obvious questions - I'd be happy to read a good website if I could find it, but what would constitute a "presence"?
An example of a presence would be a branch or subsidiary.

Quote:
View Post
Does this simply mean that no Swiss NGO can contract work from any other organization in the world unless they have a Swiss "presence"?!
Not at all - the rules are quite different for EU based companies.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.08.2008, 16:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,514
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US-based company hired by Swiss NGO - visa needed?

Quote:
View Post
Does this simply mean that no Swiss NGO can contract work from any other organization in the world unless they have a Swiss "presence"?!

Any Swiss firm can contract such work from any other organisation in the world, provided said work is not carried out in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.08.2008, 18:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
christolles has no particular reputation at present
Re: US-based company hired by Swiss NGO - visa needed?

and i imagine the process of establishing a "presence" is long and complicated and expensive, yes?

thanks for the help everybody.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss Company Formation copex Business & entrepreneur 2 10.03.2008 11:45
"VMT company" - anyone hired them? cesar Transportation/driving 2 16.10.2007 11:31
Intra-Company Transfer Visa cargl Permits/visas/government 2 24.05.2007 17:36
L Permit Confusion [permit for director of Swiss-based company] Interactive Permits/visas/government 16 04.10.2006 11:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0