Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.11.2008, 11:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honey_bunny has no particular reputation at present
My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

I know that shorrick mk2 in his sticky said that EU citizens who work in CH get a work permit after signing a contract - and that your significant other (husband) is allowed to be with you, regardless of nationality. Is this the case of a Pakistani citizen? My husband lives in Pakistan and he doesnt have his UK Visa yet and cannot come here yet (UK). I am plannng to move to CH, so if i delay getting his UK Visa, does it mean that when i go to CH and get my work permit, he can come with me, regardless of whether he has his UK visa or not? I just wanted to clarify, and any weblinks confirming this would be awesome!


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.11.2008, 11:45
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 468
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

The UK visa has got nothing to do with his ability to enter Switzerland or work here, presumably under a Permit B. I'm pretty sure that if one partner has a work permit (and a contract of course) that the other person will be allowed entry. However:

1. The person with the contract and work permit has to earn enough to support their now dependent partner.
2. They also have to pick up all costs associated with processing the person's work permit request, if they intend to work.

I'm sure there's more to it than that- this is just my experience navigating the system. My husband came here with a contract and work permit, I am his dependent Hausfrau while I look for work. We have had to pick up all of the costs associated with my work permit.

I.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.11.2008, 11:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honey_bunny has no particular reputation at present
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Thanks for the information. Actually, it would be great if he worked and i think it would probably be worth paying for the work permit, so he can not be a dependent on me. Do you have an idea as to how much it would cost to process his work permit? Are there any special/what are the procedures? I guess he wouldnt need any sponsoring employer, would he?





Quote:
View Post
The UK visa has got nothing to do with his ability to enter Switzerland or work here, presumably under a Permit B. I'm pretty sure that if one partner has a work permit (and a contract of course) that the other person will be allowed entry. However:

1. The person with the contract and work permit has to earn enough to support their now dependent partner.
2. They also have to pick up all costs associated with processing the person's work permit request, if they intend to work.

I'm sure there's more to it than that- this is just my experience navigating the system. My husband came here with a contract and work permit, I am his dependent Hausfrau while I look for work. We have had to pick up all of the costs associated with my work permit.

I.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.11.2008, 12:01
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 468
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Hi honey,

My husband's company organised relocation support for us, which included organising the B work permit for me. While we are paying for it, we aren't sure how much it'll cost us- like you, we decided no matter what the cost, it was worth paying to stop me going insane, sitting at home!

You'll obviously need to investigate this further. Just as an aside though- when we applied we were informed I wouldn't need to provide a police certificate. 3 weeks after registering with our Kantonal office, we recieved a letter saying my work permit would not be processed further without a police certificate from the Australian Federal Police (I'm an aussie).

So I'm waiting for it now, and twiddling my thumbs. If you have a contract already, I would say you should discuss this with your employer, to see what support they will provide you.

And hopefully, someone better informed than me will come along and give more info!
I.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.11.2008, 12:08
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honey_bunny has no particular reputation at present
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Thanks again for the info - much appreciated. I guess i might be right in thinking that rules for EU citizens and Ozzies are different - am i right? I dont know if they will be different if one half of a spousal relationship is an EU citizen and the other is not. I do some more research as you suggested. Thank you!




Quote:
View Post
Hi honey,

My husband's company organised relocation support for us, which included organising the B work permit for me. While we are paying for it, we aren't sure how much it'll cost us- like you, we decided no matter what the cost, it was worth paying to stop me going insane, sitting at home!

You'll obviously need to investigate this further. Just as an aside though- when we applied we were informed I wouldn't need to provide a police certificate. 3 weeks after registering with our Kantonal office, we recieved a letter saying my work permit would not be processed further without a police certificate from the Australian Federal Police (I'm an aussie).

So I'm waiting for it now, and twiddling my thumbs. If you have a contract already, I would say you should discuss this with your employer, to see what support they will provide you.

And hopefully, someone better informed than me will come along and give more info!
I.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.11.2008, 16:23
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 185
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 41 Posts
BoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of many
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

All normal rules and regulations fly out the window when the applicant is from Pakistan and holds it's nationality. Unfortunately this country and applicants from there are all considered as special case. And as such judged on a case to case basis. In your particular case I would strongly advise to contact the Swiss mission where ever you are based and get specific information. I say specific here as it is imperative that you inform them of your partners nationality. Do not take anything for granted.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BoZz for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 25.11.2008, 16:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honey_bunny has no particular reputation at present
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Thanks for the info. Is there a website, that you know of that implies this country, or any other country for that matter is regarded as a special case? It would be great to have a look at it and any rules and regs. Thanks!




Quote:
View Post
All normal rules and regulations fly out the window when the applicant is from Pakistan and holds it's nationality. Unfortunately this country and applicants from there are all considered as special case. And as such judged on a case to case basis. In your particular case I would strongly advise to contact the Swiss mission where ever you are based and get specific information. I say specific here as it is imperative that you inform them of your partners nationality. Do not take anything for granted.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.11.2008, 18:49
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 185
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 41 Posts
BoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of manyBoZz has earned the respect of many
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

No there is no mention of this officially or at least for public consumption. This rule or special rule however is applicable and exits officially. I have many friends in the diplomatic circles and can assure you that citizens of Pakistan are processed as a special case.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.11.2008, 00:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Posts: 37
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honey_bunny has no particular reputation at present
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Haha. I am sure they are and I dont doubt you at all. I can understand it though, but then at the same time, i dont. Anyway, back to the topic, I called the embassy and she just told me to look at the website, but i check the embassy for CH in Pakistan and there is no mention of the different types of visas available to enter CH. There was just a standard applicaton form for a Visa form available to download - with no reference to what Visa type it was for.



Quote:
View Post
No there is no mention of this officially or at least for public consumption. This rule or special rule however is applicable and exits officially. I have many friends in the diplomatic circles and can assure you that citizens of Pakistan are processed as a special case.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.11.2008, 01:51
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Also, you might want to check as I was under the impression that spouses of EU citizens could follow their EU spouse to Switzerland if they were already living in an EU country. Please double check on that too.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.11.2008, 14:11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My significant other [moving from Pakistan - Visa Question]

Hi honey_bunny

see this site

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/...nf/vispak.html

it has different types of visa that nationals from Pakistan could apply. While there might sure be some "special" treatment; if you follow the procedures there is nothing to worry about. Many of my friends have had their visit/study and marriage related visas processed.

neerahi
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work Permit for "Significant Other" Class B Visa Holder Tcal106 Permits/visas/government 4 22.03.2009 22:02
Visa for "significant other" Neddles Permits/visas/government 1 17.08.2008 11:33
Another visa question manvik60 Permits/visas/government 13 20.02.2008 23:41
Visa Question - regarding what happens next? abbey712 Permits/visas/government 4 31.12.2007 08:54
Simple Visa Question HGmotors Permits/visas/government 2 03.11.2007 18:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0