Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.02.2007, 10:55
SamC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 175
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 35 Posts
SamC has no particular reputation at present
Help! Registering for a permit

Hi All,

I moved to Lausanne about a week ago, and I have a letter from the canton saying that I'm entitled to a B permit, and that I need to register for one within 8 days of arrival.

However, I'm still living out of a hotel as I haven't yet found a permenant place to live yet. I could give my place of work as my "permenant" address, but then I'll likely have to re-register (costing another 100ChF, or whatever) in a couple of weeks time with the address of my new appartment.

The administrator who knows about these things at my place of work has advised me that I can should register for a permit within a month rather than the 8 day period, by which time I will (hopefully) have found a place to live. But I'm rather nervous of disobeying the Canton authority's instructions, and am not sure what to do.

Any advice.
Cheers,
Sam.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.02.2007, 11:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
altair has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Hi,

Your administrator is right, you should register, whatever it will cost you to change the address after. I do not know what kind of residence you are trying to find but I can tell you that even with a B permit in hand it will take a lot of time to rent something in Lausanne. I do not want to think how it can be to search something without a permit.
Regards,
Altair
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.02.2007, 11:47
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,688
Groaned at 231 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 7,709 Times in 3,406 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Quote:
Hi,

Your administrator is right, you should register, whatever it will cost you to change the address after. I do not know what kind of residence you are trying to find but I can tell you that even with a B permit in hand it will take a lot of time to rent something in Lausanne. I do not want to think how it can be to search something without a permit.
Regards,
Altair
I think you misread the original post. His administrator is suggesting he does not need to register for up to 30 days.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.02.2007, 11:50
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,688
Groaned at 231 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 7,709 Times in 3,406 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Quote:
Hi All,

The administrator who knows about these things at my place of work has advised me that I can should register for a permit within a month rather than the 8 day period, by which time I will (hopefully) have found a place to live. But I'm rather nervous of disobeying the Canton authority's instructions, and am not sure what to do.
If you have offical instructions then follow them! Go the authority and explain the situation and see what they have to say. At the end of the day they are the ones that need to be happy with the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.02.2007, 11:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
altair has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Quote:
I think you misread the original post. His administrator is suggesting he does not need to register for up to 30 days.
yes, you're right.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.02.2007, 12:15
Qoolqat's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 71
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Qoolqat has become a little unpopular
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

It will be good if you go to Authorities and talk to them. I say it is the best way as you will be hearing it from the Horse.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.02.2007, 12:56
SamC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 175
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 35 Posts
SamC has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Ok, I'll go and speak to them tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Sam.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.02.2007, 13:55
MrWhereItsAt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 122
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
MrWhereItsAt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Sam, when I went recently, I registered with my temporary address and told them I would be changing it soon. I'm not sure if they have made a note of this and thus I will need to pay less when I change addresses, but I have found that one of the key pieces of documentation that all apartment agencies want is the Permit, or equally the thing they gave me once I registered to say that my permit is in the works.

On the basis of this, my (admittedly limited) observations so far, I strongly suggest you register with your temporary address and ask for a Declaration de Residence (and extra 12-20 Ch F) so that you can copy it a million times and give one to each tenant agency at which you apply for a flat.

I sent you an email about flats I have seen also.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.02.2007, 14:01
SamC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 175
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 35 Posts
SamC has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Hi,

Yeah, I went to see the Controles de Habitants this morning and they said because I don't have a permenant address yet, then I can register for my permit in a couple of weeks or so when I finally get a place to live. I have a letter from Canton Vaud saying that I will be getting a permit. I have flashed that at rental agencies and they have had no problems with it.

Cheers,Sam.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09.02.2007, 16:58
rlehal
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Hey Sam
Its me Raj. I am also going to register with the canton offcial with my temporary permit. You need to register in order to get a letter called "Attestation de residence". You are going to need this letter to get an apartment as well as to open a bank account. This is what human resource person told me at EPFL. Its quite complicated isn't it. So I decided to register and will do so this coming monday. You are going to need two passport size photos, employment contract, CHF 100 and your passport.
Hope this will help. I may see you at the pub on Feb.15.2007.
Take care
Raj
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09.02.2007, 16:59
rlehal
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Quote:
Hi,

Yeah, I went to see the Controles de Habitants this morning and they said because I don't have a permenant address yet, then I can register for my permit in a couple of weeks or so when I finally get a place to live. I have a letter from Canton Vaud saying that I will be getting a permit. I have flashed that at rental agencies and they have had no problems with it.

Cheers,Sam.

Great!!! Good to know. i will try doing the same thing.
Raj
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.03.2011, 08:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sliva has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Hi,
I am coming to Switzerland and am scheduled to start work right away. I am working on making arrangements for housing. I am from a EU country.
I understand I need to register, and have read at one site I am suppose to register before I start work. Do I have to rent an apartment and get a lease from a rental agency in order to register with a commune and canton? Can I make short-term arrangements such as a sublet? Can I rent a room? If only a lease is allowed, I am looking at a considerable amount of time before I can start work if indeed getting registered must be done before starting work. I am certainly worried I won't have enough documentation to get a rental agency to lease me an apartment at the beginning.
If a lease from a rental agency is not the only way to meet the documentation requirements, what are the possible accepted documents in order to register? I understand this may vary quite a bit from canton to canton, but maybe there are some general guidelines someone may know of? If not maybe someone may comment on Aargau, Zug, and Schwyz. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.03.2011, 13:05
suzybg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edinburgh/ Basel
Posts: 487
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 266 Times in 153 Posts
suzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of manysuzybg has earned the respect of many
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I am coming to Switzerland and am scheduled to start work right away. I am working on making arrangements for housing. I am from a EU country.
I understand I need to register, and have read at one site I am suppose to register before I start work. Do I have to rent an apartment and get a lease from a rental agency in order to register with a commune and canton? Can I make short-term arrangements such as a sublet? Can I rent a room? If only a lease is allowed, I am looking at a considerable amount of time before I can start work if indeed getting registered must be done before starting work. I am certainly worried I won't have enough documentation to get a rental agency to lease me an apartment at the beginning.
If a lease from a rental agency is not the only way to meet the documentation requirements, what are the possible accepted documents in order to register? I understand this may vary quite a bit from canton to canton, but maybe there are some general guidelines someone may know of? If not maybe someone may comment on Aargau, Zug, and Schwyz. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
My husband (british) interviewed in Basel on a Friday, Accepted the job on the Monday and started working in Basel the following Monday. He didn't have the actual permit on the day he started but that is OK as long as you register within 8 days of arriving (plus his company did everything quickly on their part) - the migration office gives you a letter and reference number so you can get a bank account and look for apartments. The company was putting him up in a hotel to start and this is the address he used to register with. When we moved to our apartment he notified the migration office and paid a change of address fee of 20. I think if your company is on the ball and you are from the EU it is very simple and very routine.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11.03.2011, 10:19
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Help! Registering for a permit

Quote:
View Post
I think if your company is on the ball and you are from the EU it is very simple and very routine.
It has nothing to do with the company. All they need to do is supply an employment contract.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing from B to C permit nodemons Permits/visas/government 84 12.09.2016 17:23
B Permit linked to Employer nandini Permits/visas/government 6 06.02.2007 12:53
URGENT!!! L permit changing to B permit brc Permits/visas/government 1 11.01.2007 10:04
Work Permit for the Wife of an EU citizen private_banker Permits/visas/government 9 03.01.2007 18:54
L Permit to a B permit - Unmarried UK couple telandy Permits/visas/government 3 25.10.2006 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0