Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14.02.2009, 20:59
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 95
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
George Chernikov has no particular reputation at present
Possible to Apply for Permit B as a Freelancer/Self-employed?

Hi there,

I am just wondering whether it is possible to apply for a work Permit B (as a non-EU national) on the grounds of intending to set-up a sole proprietor operation?

If yes, is there a minimum planned business size that I must be able to document prior to the Swiss officials favourably considering my request?

I've now been studying in Switzerland for 7 years on the grounds of a Permit B (student) and am desperately looking for a way to stay here. I have the necessary skills to operate a web design business, so the financial and technical side of things would be handled.

It's the legal stuff that's in question at the moment.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote
Old 16.02.2009, 08:26
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 76
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
babyfame has no particular reputation at present
Re: Possible to Apply for Permit B as a Freelancer/Self-employed?

As I see u are from Geneva I suggest contacting the Immigration Office in Geneva. (maybe online aswell) they might have different forms for u to fill in and maybe you can apply for a working permit this way!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Old 17.02.2009, 09:16
Posts: n/a
Re: Possible to Apply for Permit B as a Freelancer/Self-employed?

It is unlikely that you would be able to do this a sole trader but it is feasible if you set up a GmbH. You will have to proceed through a number of hoops, some of which may seem a bit silly.

1. Set up an S.a. (GmbH) - requirement is only 1 director but at least 1 director must be resident in Switzerland. There are a number of companies who can provide a 'director' for this purpose.

2. Offer yourself employment - your company must go through the particular permit application process as required for your nationality.

Chances of success? Unfortunately web designers are two a penny and there are plenty currently out of work so.... not great.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Date to apply for C Permit joeyying Permits/visas/government 56 05.12.2014 18:14
Can I apply for a Permit B? maggielin Permits/visas/government 1 06.05.2008 12:45
Do I apply for B permit, or does my employer? Stauff Permits/visas/government 1 02.04.2008 19:52
How to apply for Long term Work permit? mry Permits/visas/government 3 25.03.2008 16:54
When to apply for a B-EG permit mkkangas Permits/visas/government 0 23.01.2007 17:37

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0