Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 13.01.2008, 19:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: confused about naturalisation and permits [married to a Swiss]

I am sure you will get far more intelligent sounding replies than mine .... But for now I just assure you of a couple things, the details of which you will have to seek out for yourself, maybe on the internet.

My son married a Swiss girl in South Africa, they lived there for about 4 or 5 yrs, had 2 children, with Swiss passports. They moved to CH, and my son received his Swiss Passport after 2 years.

The Schengen Visa? I know he did not have to apply for that, he merely got some sort of card from a local authority stating that he lives and works in CH, and this was sufficient for access to EU..... until he received his S/Passport.

Sorry I cant give more details, as my son is presently very busy studying, and I dare not interrupt him for the exact story....Mothers are not allowed to do things like That!
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 14.01.2008, 00:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: itinerant
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
itinerant has made some interesting contributions
Re: confused about naturalisation and permits [married to a Swiss]

Quote:
View Post
hello, I have two questions. I have a South African passport and am currently a B permit holder. I am married to a Swiss since July 2000 and have registered the marriage in switzerland immediately. We have two girls who also have swiss passports.
A: Do I still need to get a Schengen visa to visit EU countries? If so, where and how do I best go about it.
B: We have just relocated to switzerland last year, do i qualify for a swiss passport, as we have been married and lived abroad for more than 6 years? or do I have to wait the 5 year period of living here before qualifying?
Any info appreciated.
You would qualify for a Swiss passport by being married to a Swiss national for at least 6 years, irrespective of where you were living. You can apply through the simpler federal facilitated naturalisation process. You will probably still be asked to have an interview for the purposes of confirming that your marriage is stable and (usually) to see if you have a basic ability in one of the official Swiss languages.

For now, the visa rules for visiting EU countries will be the more favourable of what you qualify for as the spouse of a Swiss or as applies to your SA passport. If either of these do not exempt you from obtaining a visa, then Shengen probably will, provided that you have applied for and been issued a Swiss B-permit (residence permit).
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 22.01.2008, 10:28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brugg area
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ersatz has no particular reputation at present
Facilitated naturalization or options?

This is probably a weird question, but I've been thinking of citizenship and its rights and obligations and so on, and this thought came up. My husband is Swiss, so if things stay on track, I would be eligible for facilitated/simplified naturalization through him and his commune/canton in 2-3 years. The thing is that we live far (in Swiss terms, hehe!) from his Heimatort which I've visited only a couple of times. His parents don't even live there. I understand practically nothing of their dialect (not that I understand much of the Aargauer/Zürcher either, but I manage to get by). So, if I were to become a Swiss citizen, it would make a lot more sense to me to be associated with the Gemeinde I live in in the Brugg area. Has anyone here gone for local citizenship even though they've been married to a Swiss from another canton? I'm assuming that would require the 12 years of being resident in CH, or does anyone have any other information?

Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 22.01.2008, 11:21
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 1,854
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,398 Times in 730 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facilitated naturalization or options?

Quote:
View Post
This is probably a weird question, but I've been thinking of citizenship and its rights and obligations and so on, and this thought came up. My husband is Swiss, so if things stay on track, I would be eligible for facilitated/simplified naturalization through him and his commune/canton in 2-3 years. The thing is that we live far (in Swiss terms, hehe!) from his Heimatort which I've visited only a couple of times. His parents don't even live there. I understand practically nothing of their dialect (not that I understand much of the Aargauer/Zürcher either, but I manage to get by). So, if I were to become a Swiss citizen, it would make a lot more sense to me to be associated with the Gemeinde I live in in the Brugg area. Has anyone here gone for local citizenship even though they've been married to a Swiss from another canton? I'm assuming that would require the 12 years of being resident in CH, or does anyone have any other information?

Thanks for any comments.
Facilitated Naturalisation is decided in Bern, your husband's heimatort will have only an administrative influence on the process (ie. how fast or slow they process the required documents).
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 22.01.2008, 11:32
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oerlikon
Posts: 160
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 107 Times in 52 Posts
chuk has earned some respectchuk has earned some respect
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Seeing as this thread is still alive, I have a question

For the 'Lived in Switzerland for 5 years in total, completely for the last 1 year, married to a Swiss person for 3 or more years' version of naturalization, does anybody know if that means exactly that or not?

i.e. 1.5 of my 5 years were on an L permit back in 1998-9, I wondered whether this counts or whether it is only B and above
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 22.01.2008, 11:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brugg area
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ersatz has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated naturalization or options?

Quote:
View Post
Facilitated Naturalisation is decided in Bern, your husband's heimatort will have only an administrative influence on the process (ie. how fast or slow they process the required documents).
Thanks for the reply (and also for moving the post to the right place!)

My question was really about where *my* Heimatort would be. The eda.admin.ch site says The applicant will receive citizenship of the canton and commune of his/her spouse. If I go the facilitated route, can I do so by involving the Gemeinde where we have our residence, rather than my husband's Heimatort? The answer appears to be a clear NO, but I thought I would ask anyway, just in case someone has had a different experience. One never knows...

Last edited by ersatz; 22.01.2008 at 11:46. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 22.01.2008, 11:50
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,816
Groaned at 49 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facilitated naturalization or options?

your town of origin, so to speak, would be registered to match your husband's. You can email the BFM and they will send you the forms - links are in the thread.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 22.01.2008, 12:52
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 1,854
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,398 Times in 730 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facilitated naturalization or options?

Quote:
View Post
If I go the facilitated route, can I do so by involving the Gemeinde where we have our residence, rather than my husband's Heimatort?
Actually, they will both be involved, but they will only be able to comment as the application grinds it's way accross the respective desks at sub-tectonic speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 22.01.2008, 13:31
sanddancer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thurgau
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sanddancer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

When i lived in kt SG i had to go to zivilshutz but now i live in TG and don't have to go also still have only my uk pass.
But going to the zivilschutz is not a bad experience so try it.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 22.01.2008, 14:05
magyir's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 1,572
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 451 Times in 321 Posts
magyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputationmagyir has an excellent reputation
Re: Facilitated naturalization or options?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the reply (and also for moving the post to the right place!)

My question was really about where *my* Heimatort would be. The eda.admin.ch site says The applicant will receive citizenship of the canton and commune of his/her spouse. If I go the facilitated route, can I do so by involving the Gemeinde where we have our residence, rather than my husband's Heimatort? The answer appears to be a clear NO, but I thought I would ask anyway, just in case someone has had a different experience. One never knows...
Later after you become a citizen of your hubby's heimatort you may be able to transfer it to where you live. Many places have such "offers" from time to time sometimes as cheap as 25CHF (plus document re-issue costs).

My ex's Dad and Mum were from BE and GR so she and her sis "bought" their Kt. ZH citizenship where they'd grown up later.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 01.05.2008, 17:00
Kraft's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vaud
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated naturalization or options?

Hello Everyone,
is there anybody among you or one you know that has completed his/her faciliated naturalization in 2008 ? If so, was there an interview in Bern or
his/her canton for the process ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 01.05.2008, 17:14
Kraft's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vaud
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization Question

Thanks for the info and checking it in Bern, BaselBoy. Is there an interview/test or not, will you be able to comment on it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 01.05.2008, 17:21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Luzern
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dega has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

No interview in Bern. If your wife was born in Switz. someone from the local Police will come by to look you and your wife over and ask a few questions - no language test.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 01.05.2008, 19:55
Kraft's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vaud
Posts: 30
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kraft has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Thank you Dega. I had several infos and just want to make sure with last experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12.06.2009, 01:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Versoix (GE)
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
tonyfinn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Hi guys, didn't write anything on here for ages so here goes!

I started the whole Facilitated Naturalisation process last year in September/October, received a reply in November from Bern stating that all was in order, accepted to process and not to contact them!

Finally received some more documents in the post on Tuesday, seems that it's gone to the next stage now as these docs are from my home town of Geneva, I'm now starting to get excited about it again!

Question is, how long should it take now?

Anyone got a general idea on this particular situation?
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 12.06.2009, 02:31
gonzus's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 274
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 123 Times in 79 Posts
gonzus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Quote:
View Post
I started the whole Facilitated Naturalisation process last year in September/October, received a reply in November from Bern stating that all was in order, accepted to process and not to contact them!

Finally received some more documents in the post on Tuesday, seems that it's gone to the next stage now as these docs are from my home town of Geneva, I'm now starting to get excited about it again!

Question is, how long should it take now? Anyone got a general idea on this particular situation?
In general, it takes anywhere between one and two years. It could depend on the basis for requesting the naturalization: your ancestors were Swiss, you are married to one, you have lived 120 years in Switzerland , etc. What is your case?

Could you share with us what the process was like? Did you have to submit to an interview? Show native Swiss language proficiency? Show knowledge of Swiss history, geography and current events? Pay significant money?

Best regards and good luck with your process.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 12.06.2009, 12:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Versoix (GE)
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
tonyfinn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Quote:
View Post
In general, it takes anywhere between one and two years. It could depend on the basis for requesting the naturalization: your ancestors were Swiss, you are married to one, you have lived 120 years in Switzerland , etc. What is your case?

Could you share with us what the process was like? Did you have to submit to an interview? Show native Swiss language proficiency? Show knowledge of Swiss history, geography and current events? Pay significant money?

Best regards and good luck with your process.
Hi,

The whole basis for the facilitated naturalisation process I'm going through is because I married a Swiss, have lived in Switzerland for over 6 years and married for 6 years also.

So far the process hasn't been so taxing, just filled in the relevant forms that I demanded directly from Bern and supplied the documents which as always is the most time consuming part.

It is only this week that I have received confirmation and the request from Geneva (The Canton where I live) that I fill in another yellow coloured document which also required me to attach a photograph of myself and my wife.
On the main form I have basically been asked to duplicated some information from the first document I sent to Bern and also add schooling history and full employment history. I also have to write a few sentences on why I came to Switzerland, why I want to be Swiss and more importantly for Geneva why I want to become Genevoise...

So far no interview, no need to supply proof of language skills - of course the documents have to be filled out in the native language. But perhaps all this is going to come soon....

Has anyone been through this process, as in receiving more docs from their local authorities? If so It'd be interesting to see how long, on average it should take from this particular stage of things... especially for Geneva (hint, hint)

Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 12.06.2009, 12:16
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,362
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,338 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

The whole basis for the facilitated naturalisation process I'm going through is because I married a Swiss, have lived in Switzerland for over 6 years and married for 6 years also.

So far the process hasn't been so taxing, just filled in the relevant forms that I demanded directly from Bern and supplied the documents which as always is the most time consuming part.

It is only this week that I have received confirmation and the request from Geneva (The Canton where I live) that I fill in another yellow coloured document which also required me to attach a photograph of myself and my wife.
On the main form I have basically been asked to duplicated some information from the first document I sent to Bern and also add schooling history and full employment history. I also have to write a few sentences on why I came to Switzerland, why I want to be Swiss and more importantly for Geneva why I want to become Genevoise...

So far no interview, no need to supply proof of language skills - of course the documents have to be filled out in the native language. But perhaps all this is going to come soon....

Has anyone been through this process, as in receiving more docs from their local authorities? If so It'd be interesting to see how long, on average it should take from this particular stage of things... especially for Geneva (hint, hint)

I'm mid-process with this in Basel. My situation is a bit more complicated, as my husband moved to the UK a bit before the time I applied (we weren't sure if he would stay or if I'd go there, but he's got a good job so I'm moving there now).

I sent off everything to Bern in May 2008 and received a confirm at the end of the month that my application was received. In January, I heard from the Basel office. We had a lot of discussions, because of my husband and I living apart (but not separated!), and had to give a bit more proof of things (copies of plane tickets, etc.). We also met (voluntarily) with the woman who is processing things for us in the Basel office in April. She has sent off her report to Bern, and now we're waiting to hear an answer. We're told this answer can take a while, as my husband's home canton is Zurich and they may also want to have a say in things. I'll be moving over to join him in the UK in January, and we hope to hear something before then, but no guarantees.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 18.05.2010, 20:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Versoix (GE)
Posts: 94
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
tonyfinn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Hello!

Today I have received some more documents to fill in.

This comes after my interview at my home early this year which went very well.

Now I have to fill in two declarations.

One stating that I've commuted no criminal offences and that either my taxes are up to date OR that I have an agreement with the tax
authorities. The second one is once more asking if me and the wife are still married and living together.

Anyone else receive similar documentation and the question is I suppose - how long did it take from there?

:-)
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 18.05.2010, 20:50
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,362
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,338 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Facilitated Naturalization [including obligations for males]

Should only be a matter of a month to a few months from this point. There's more info on the process here: All My Experience - Facilitated Naturalization
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
facilitated naturalisation, facilitated naturalization




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0