Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.07.2009, 17:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vic_T has no particular reputation at present
visa to study

Hello Swiss residents and future Swiss residents!

I would very much appreciate if you could help me with the following issues:

1) I have been accepted to a Swiss Univesity and need to apply for a student visa.
Swiss Embassy in my country examines the applications for student visa during 6-12 weeks. They have told that the process of getting student visa could be faster if I refer with my file to the cantonal police. If they confirm that I can study in Switzerland to the Swiss Embassy in my country, Swiss Embassy can give me student visa within one day.
Does such procedure exist? What documents are required and how long the does the cantonal police examine my file?

2) Is it possible to arrive and start studding process with another type of visa (tourist visa, for example) and then apply for students permit? Does anybody (in the Uni or Emigration authorities ) check the type of visa?

3) Can I travel through Europe with Swiss student visa ( I am non-EU )? I plan to move to Switzerland by car via different European countries.


Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.07.2009, 17:37
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tee Chee No?
Posts: 1,843
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,485 Times in 713 Posts
Boxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: visa to study

newcomer student, visa and personal car issues ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.07.2009, 18:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vic_T has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

Yap, that’s mine!
I just thought it would be better if I put questions about visa in “visas” section and leave the car question in the “transportation” section. It is more appropriate, isn’t it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12.07.2009, 18:14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dubendorf
Posts: 244
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 30 Times in 23 Posts
joeyying has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

What is your nationality?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.07.2009, 12:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vic_T has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

Quote:
View Post
What is your nationality?
I am from Ukraine
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.07.2009, 18:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
JamesGuthrie has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

Quote:
View Post
Hello Swiss residents and future Swiss residents!

I would very much appreciate if you could help me with the following issues:

1) I have been accepted to a Swiss Univesity and need to apply for a student visa.
Swiss Embassy in my country examines the applications for student visa during 6-12 weeks. They have told that the process of getting student visa could be faster if I refer with my file to the cantonal police. If they confirm that I can study in Switzerland to the Swiss Embassy in my country, Swiss Embassy can give me student visa within one day.
Does such procedure exist? What documents are required and how long the does the cantonal police examine my file?

2) Is it possible to arrive and start studding process with another type of visa (tourist visa, for example) and then apply for students permit? Does anybody (in the Uni or Emigration authorities ) check the type of visa?

3) Can I travel through Europe with Swiss student visa ( I am non-EU )? I plan to move to Switzerland by car via different European countries.


Thank you in advance for your help!
I think I can answer 2)

In my case, I arrived as a tourist on a South African passport (because we could still do that then) and then changed status to a student sometime later, but my whole situation was a little bit lax - I may have been living here illegally for some period of time although I wasn't aware of it.

Anyway, what I learnt whilst applying for a student visa is that if you do want to change your status from tourist to student you have to do so withing two weeks of arriving in Switzerland. This is in the form of registering yourself at the local community office and making an application for a student visa. (If you don't make the application within two weeks you get fined, when they eventually find out that you're studying here - I found out this the hard way).

As far as I know, once you've been accepted into a swiss university they pretty much HAVE to grant you a student visa.

Hope that's helped.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12.08.2009, 13:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ukraine
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
world_travel has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

Swiss Embassy in my country examines the applications for student visa during 6-12 weeks. They have told that the process of getting student visa could be faster if I refer with my file to the cantonal police. If they confirm that I can study in Switzerland to the Swiss Embassy in my country, Swiss Embassy can give me student visa within one day.
Does such procedure exist? What documents are required and how long the does the cantonal police examine my file?


Have you find out how to expedite the process?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12.08.2009, 13:21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ukraine
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
world_travel has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

GUys,

do you know by any chance what are financial requirements for Neuchatel district? Does it true that I need to have an account opened in Switzerland and nothing more... need help!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.11.2009, 17:42
Cruizer's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmensdorf ZH
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruizer has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

Quote:
View Post
GUys,

do you know by any chance what are financial requirements for Neuchatel district? Does it true that I need to have an account opened in Switzerland and nothing more... need help!
"Evidence of sufficient financial means
You need evidence of sufficient financial means to support your stay in Switzerland. This can be done by providing bank statements and/or scholarship awards. The Canton of Zurich Migration Office requires confirmation from a bank with a branch in Switzerland (foreign bank with a branch in Switzerland or a Swiss bank). As a rule, you should be able to provide evidence of having CHF 21'000 at the beginning of each year of your studies. The account must be registered in your own name and the currency must be Swiss Francs, Euros or US Dollars.
Please note: Even big and internationally well-known banks are not accepted, if they do not have a branch in Switzerland"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.11.2009, 13:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nata has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

Hello, I am from Ukraine too, and I just applied for a student visa, and I want to get it as soon as possible, as my shengen tourist visa is expiring in January...
Please, can you tell me how your story finished?
Did anyone have experience of doing visa directly from here without coming back to your home country?
Thanks a lot in advance,

Nata


Quote:
View Post
Hello Swiss residents and future Swiss residents!

I would very much appreciate if you could help me with the following issues:

1) I have been accepted to a Swiss Univesity and need to apply for a student visa.
Swiss Embassy in my country examines the applications for student visa during 6-12 weeks. They have told that the process of getting student visa could be faster if I refer with my file to the cantonal police. If they confirm that I can study in Switzerland to the Swiss Embassy in my country, Swiss Embassy can give me student visa within one day.
Does such procedure exist? What documents are required and how long the does the cantonal police examine my file?

2) Is it possible to arrive and start studding process with another type of visa (tourist visa, for example) and then apply for students permit? Does anybody (in the Uni or Emigration authorities ) check the type of visa?

3) Can I travel through Europe with Swiss student visa ( I am non-EU )? I plan to move to Switzerland by car via different European countries.


Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.11.2009, 13:45
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: visa to study

Welcome to the Forum, Nata.

Unfortunately for you, Vic T hasn't logged in in the past month.
You could try sending him a Personal Message or an e-mail through the Forum though.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19.11.2012, 16:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMA5 has no particular reputation at present
Re: visa to study

hi.. just arrived here in switzerland last october 2012 with a Filipino Tourist visa but i wish to have a student visa. can you help how?.. thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
student visa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I apply visa to Germany during the process of Swiss visa lijohallam Permits/visas/government 4 26.06.2009 18:59
can i study here..? chandrima Other/general 1 09.04.2009 22:32
Visa for US Citizen to study German? quasiexpat Permits/visas/government 9 31.03.2009 21:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0