Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.07.2009, 16:48
plk plk is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plk has no particular reputation at present
L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

I am Indian Nationality, currently doing one year internship at biotech private company in Visp, Valais. I am currently holding L permit which is expires on 31st of July 2009.

I am planning to start my PhD in Bern from 1st of August 2009, the working contract will be ready second week of August, the professor will apply for the B permit in the same week.

Here my problem starts, legally my L permit is getting over this month end and for first week of august, I donít have any legal document to stay in Switzerland for period of one or two week in the beginning of August.

I enquired with many people in Canton Visp, Bern; the answer is no one knows exactly what to do. Some people say no problem and some people say I must have some kind of documents from police.

I am really worried about it. If any one has idea or suggestions, please kindly let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.07.2009, 17:09
Ella's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: lausannne,
Posts: 115
Groaned at 12 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Ella has no particular reputation at present
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

You need to apply for a new permit yourself, not your professor. You can already go and start the process as long as you have any kind of registration proof at the university, if the working contract is not yet ready.
Do you already have an address in Bern? I donít think you can apply a permit in Canton de Bern without an address; And Canton de Valais will not accept your application if you will be studying in Bern.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.07.2009, 18:37
plk plk is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plk has no particular reputation at present
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU


Yes, I tired my self to apply new permit last week but the responsible person at Canton de Bern told me I can not apply my self. The employer has to apply behalf of me. Yes I have new address in Bern from 1st of August 2009.

I am moving to new address in Bern from 1st of August 2009, I donít know if there is any problem or not? Since I have informed in Valais Canton about my new address.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.07.2009, 12:41
fromsiggenthal's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 347
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
fromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthy
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I tired my self to apply new permit last week but the responsible person at Canton de Bern told me I can not apply my self. The employer has to apply behalf of me. Yes I have new address in Bern from 1st of August 2009.

Yes, your employer need to apply and not you.

I am moving to new address in Bern from 1st of August 2009, I donít know if there is any problem or not? Since I have informed in Valais Canton about my new address.
Yes , you need a legal document for your stay during your permit is being processed. I had the same situation like you and I returned back to India until my B-permit was ready. You can ask in the migrationsamt if ythey can issue a visa during your b permit is processed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.07.2009, 13:10
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

Quote:
View Post
I am Indian Nationality, currently doing one year internship at biotech private company in Visp, Valais. I am currently holding L permit which is expires on 31st of July 2009.

I am planning to start my PhD in Bern from 1st of August 2009, the working contract will be ready second week of August, the professor will apply for the B permit in the same week.

Here my problem starts, legally my L permit is getting over this month end and for first week of august, I donít have any legal document to stay in Switzerland for period of one or two week in the beginning of August.

I enquired with many people in Canton Visp, Bern; the answer is no one knows exactly what to do. Some people say no problem and some people say I must have some kind of documents from police.

I am really worried about it. If any one has idea or suggestions, please kindly let me know.
I have read on EF that when spouses join here on dependent visa and then get employed, they have to return to their country and re-enter on the work contract. I guess the same reasoning applies to you too? Moreover, in your case it is not a question of 2 weeks. It will takes around 4-5 weeks after the application, for the Assurance of Permit to be ready. So the gap would be upto mid-Augist for you, I think.

But you can take fromsiggenthal's advice and try if they can find a solution without a reentry.

Quote:
View Post
You need to apply for a new permit yourself, not your professor.
No, it is the employer who applies for work permit.
Quote:
View Post
You can already go and start the process as long as you have any kind of registration proof at the university, if the working contract is not yet ready.
I don't think the process starst unless the formal work contract prepared by the university HR department is ready.
Quote:
View Post
I donít think you can apply a permit in Canton de Bern without an address
I don't understand how a person can have an address before getting a legal basis to stay in the country .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.07.2009, 14:33
plk plk is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plk has no particular reputation at present
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

Thanks for lot of discussion on the topic. As I said before I the person responsible for issuing B permit, have told me it takes couple of days (1 to max 3 days) to have permit, Since I have my L Permit. So they donít need to have much documents from me, they need only Work contract and my masters degree and my new address. I am currently pushing my University HR department to make it faster as possible the work contract.


Since the person does not know about one or two week stay with out visa. Some people recommended askforeign police department. if any one knows about it please let me.

For me do not make sense, going back to India and then come back with a new visa just for couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.07.2009, 16:59
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DŁbendorf
Posts: 106
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 24 Posts
nirmala.kalyan has no particular reputation at present
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

Quote:
View Post
I have read on EF that when spouses join here on dependent visa and then get employed, they have to return to their country and re-enter on the work contract. I guess the same reasoning applies to you too?
But I think its not always the case cos a friend of mine who was here on a dependent visa started working some 7 months back.Her dependent permit was converted into work permit here itself without her going to the home country.She is an Indian.

PS:sorry as its not going to help the thread starter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.07.2009, 17:03
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich t
Posts: 6,324
Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,418 Times in 2,950 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

You definitely don't have to leave and return when having your dependent spouse converted to a working permit, as long as the permits don't expire.

I would email the swiss consulate general in India (the one that issued your original visa/permit) and see if they have a solution for you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.07.2009, 17:09
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

Quote:
View Post
As I said before I the person responsible for issuing B permit, have told me it takes couple of days (1 to max 3 days) to have permit, Since I have my L Permit.
...

For me do not make sense, going back to India and then come back with a new visa just for couple of weeks.
Quote:
View Post
But I think its not always the case cos a friend of mine who was here on a dependent visa started working some 7 months back.Her dependent permit was converted into work permit here itself without her going to the home country.She is an Indian.

PS:sorry as its not going to help the thread starter.
It might help...in light of the additional info he has given, that the authorities have promised to issue it within 2-3 days, the gap is negligible. I know from Phd/post doc colleagues who did it, that staying extra few weeks is not considered an offence, there is a grace period, so he could overstay his L permit till he gets the B issued.

Unless they insist on a reentry, which it seems varies case-to-case

Last edited by Niranjan; 30.07.2009 at 17:10. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.07.2009, 17:09
fromsiggenthal's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 347
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
fromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthyfromsiggenthal is considered unworthy
Re: L permit expires and want to have B permit -Non-EU

Quote:
View Post
You definitely don't have to leave and return when having your dependent spouse converted to a working permit, as long as the permits don't expire.

I would email the swiss consulate general in India (the one that issued your original visa/permit) and see if they have a solution for you.

The Swiss consulate general is of no help in this case according to my experience. If I were you I would try to get a temporary visa here itself for a couple of weeks. The conversion of L to B will take more than 3 days to 3 weeks as per my knowledge.

PS: Ask the university if they can pay for your India trip as you go there for visa, which happened in my case.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
b permit, expires, l permit, legell stay




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just quit and my B Permit expires. Do I get kicked out? vanessa-g Permits/visas/government 84 30.08.2012 10:30
After L Permit expires... jttraveller Permits/visas/government 5 30.11.2007 10:23
Disabled from work and my B permit expires soon Oscar Permits/visas/government 2 28.08.2007 10:46
B permit expires soon (non-EU) patxos Permits/visas/government 8 20.07.2007 12:59
After an L permit expires JohnDubya Permits/visas/government 0 30.03.2007 17:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0