Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16.04.2007, 15:48
Larissa's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Larissa has no particular reputation at present
Entry Visa for US Citizen

Hi, I've been getting mixed-responses from the Immigration office and hoping someone on the board has been in a similar situation. My boyfriend (who is an EU citizen) got a job in Zurich with a B-Permit and I came to live with him in March.

I'm a US citizen and when he first called the immigration office here they told him not to worry with anything, that we could apply for a B-Permit when I arrived in Switzerland. We applied when I arrived and now, a month later, they wrote to say that as I entered the country without the proper visa my application will not be considered until I have this visa.

We called the Consulate in Stuttgart and they said we could pick up the visa from them but that they thought papers had to be filed from the US. I tried to call the Swiss Embassy in the US but their voice mail said no questions would be answered regarding visas.

I'm a bit at a loss over what to do next. Do I have to return to the US to file the paperwork? Is there some way to get this visa directly from Stuttgart? Also where do I get the paperwork for the Declaration of Guarentee that by bf will cover my expenses. I keep seeing it referred to but I haven't been able to find the paperwork anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote
Old 16.04.2007, 17:49
Music Mole's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SO
Posts: 240
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Music Mole has earned some respectMusic Mole has earned some respect
Re: Entry Visa for US Citizen

I was told that the visa paperwork had to be filed with the embassy/consulate of the country I was residing in (in this case, UK). If you were residing in Germany, then their answer seems consistent with what I was told.

Reply With Quote
Old 20.04.2007, 15:58
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nicolo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Entry Visa for US Citizen

The same thing happened to me two years ago in Ticino. My old school had an agreement saying I didn't need a visa. My new one did. Never knew about it until I was trying to get my permit. Soooo, I basically went to the police and filed a report of what happened. Admittingly I entered the country illegal, but not intentionally and I was led on false information to do so. The local prosecutor declined to press charges and with that letter from the prosecutor I was allowed to receive the permit.
Reply With Quote
Old 25.11.2011, 13:03
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
irinulik has no particular reputation at present
Re: Entry Visa for US Citizen

I have the same question but for the US citizen child. My friend has B permit but submitted for renewal. She plans to obtain 3 months "visa de retour" to fly to the US, have a kid there and bring it back (she is trying to avoid to have her husband with whom she is separated to know about the kid she is having from another man!).

So, does she have to apply for the residence permit for the newborn in the Swiss Consulate in the US (and if yes, how much time approximately does it take to get an answer?) or she can bring him to Switzerland and then apply for the residence permit in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Q&A] Schengen Visa - all you need to know pradeep Permits/visas/government 324 20.06.2012 17:59
B Visa advice swisscathal Permits/visas/government 5 16.08.2008 19:09
Do I need a student visa for language course while waiting for L permit? pippi Permits/visas/government 2 16.04.2007 19:09
How long do I have to wait to reenter after my 3 months tourist visa stay? akato60 Permits/visas/government 11 30.03.2007 23:14
Tourist Visa then marriage to a swiss national s268952 Permits/visas/government 4 30.01.2007 17:48

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0