Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.04.2010, 20:15
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Hi all,

I really hope EF will help me sort this out. My non-EU BF's been working in Geneva since last October. As I still have to finish my studies in my home country, I've been in and out of CH and had no actual plan of moving just as yet. Well, I guess it was the romantic mountain view or the thin air at the higher altitudes, he suddenly proposed to me.
This changed quite a lot. We've submitted the papers to the Etat Civil in Geneva, and the wedding will be in like 4 months. In Geneva. Well, the problem is that though I've been really economical with my 6 months/year in CH, my tourist 'visa' will expire well before the wedding. I guess I can save some days (literally) and therefore have no problem but being the bride I'd very much like to be in CH while doing the planning. Besides, he wants me badly to stay...
Also, it would be awfully nice if I could be looking for a job in the meantime, but without a permit (which I'll only get after the wedding) it seems rather difficult.
Has anyone come across anything like this? I'm not really keen on asking Immigration, for fear they'd just simply say no...
Thanks loads for any kind of advice. I know I should just 'stay home' but if there was a way...
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.04.2010, 20:26
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Having read this thread, I assume one can apply for some sort of permit from one's home country. Does anyone happen to know how long it takes and whether I can enter the country in the meantime?
Thx loads!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.04.2010, 20:33
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,878
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,698 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I really hope EF will help me sort this out. My non-EU BF's been working in Geneva since last October. As I still have to finish my studies in my home country, I've been in and out of CH and had no actual plan of moving just as yet. Well, I guess it was the romantic mountain view or the thin air at the higher altitudes, he suddenly proposed to me.
This changed quite a lot. We've submitted the papers to the Etat Civil in Geneva, and the wedding will be in like 4 months. In Geneva. Well, the problem is that though I've been really economical with my 6 months/year in CH, my tourist 'visa' will expire well before the wedding. I guess I can save some days (literally) and therefore have no problem but being the bride I'd very much like to be in CH while doing the planning. Besides, he wants me badly to stay...
Also, it would be awfully nice if I could be looking for a job in the meantime, but without a permit (which I'll only get after the wedding) it seems rather difficult.
Has anyone come across anything like this? I'm not really keen on asking Immigration, for fear they'd just simply say no...
Thanks loads for any kind of advice. I know I should just 'stay home' but if there was a way...
And i dont think Swiss authorities will be keen to let you stay if you are caught here illegally.

But since none of you is Swiss why marry in Switzerland? I know i wouldnt want to marry anywhere else than my home country
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.04.2010, 20:35
l.suter's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lengnau BE
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
l.suter has earned some respectl.suter has earned some respect
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Hi, I figured I might be able to help you seeing as we went through a similar process last year.

I am not sure if we required the same permit as you are talking of, but if so... it took somewhere between 8-12 weeks although we had a couple of hiccups. But even so everything we needed to do seemed to drag out.

Also from what we were told you can't enter the country once you have submitted the paper work for the permit. Just have to wait it out.

Hope everything works out for you!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank l.suter for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 07.04.2010, 20:47
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
And i dont think Swiss authorities will be keen to let you stay if you are caught here illegally.

But since none of you is Swiss why marry in Switzerland? I know i wouldnt want to marry anywhere else than my home country
I don't want to stay illegally, that's the whole point. I still have some time left till my tourist time runs out, that's exactly why I want to put things into motion.

It's kind of like a destination wedding. Switzerland is way too nice and this way we only invite who we really really want.

Hope that clarifies.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.04.2010, 20:49
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I figured I might be able to help you seeing as we went through a similar process last year.

I am not sure if we required the same permit as you are talking of, but if so... it took somewhere between 8-12 weeks although we had a couple of hiccups. But even so everything we needed to do seemed to drag out.

Also from what we were told you can't enter the country once you have submitted the paper work for the permit. Just have to wait it out.

Hope everything works out for you!
Thanks a lot, this sounds a bit more hopeful! So you/your spouse-to-be applied from the home country and waited for the permit to be issued there? I could do just that once my tourist time is over... Interesting. Though 12 weeks is a lot of time, I'd just get back for the wedding...
Thanx, though, I'll look into it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.04.2010, 09:37
Lucy..TotallyLost's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Biel
Posts: 493
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 340 Times in 155 Posts
Lucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputation
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot, this sounds a bit more hopeful! So you/your spouse-to-be applied from the home country and waited for the permit to be issued there? I could do just that once my tourist time is over... Interesting. Though 12 weeks is a lot of time, I'd just get back for the wedding...
Thanx, though, I'll look into it.
Yeah I had to apply from my home country.. where is your home?

I got told different things from different people everywhere. It was so frustrating. The Swiss Embassy in Australia was saying totally different things to.. whatever the place here is called.

Have you filed everything for your B Permit now? Is that what youre entitled to? I'm not really sure how it works seeing as your spouse is non-EU as well.
I applied for my B Permit at the same time as the marriage application. The B Permit took a LOT longer to be approved..

But I dont know.. maybe contact florida_sweetie! I know she was waiting for her B Permit and already lives here.. maybe her tourist visa hasnt expired yet though.. but anyway maybe she can shine some light on it for you..

All we did was; I applied for the permit and marriage to the Swiss Consulate in Australia.
The marriage application got approved pretty quickly, and while I was here for a one month holiday we went into that Gemfajkrhgarfjasa (i'm sick of trying to remember that word) place and confirmed it all.. which meant there was like 10 days for it to all get processed or whatever and after that we had 3 months to get married

The lady from the Consulate in Australia had told me I could not enter Switzerland while my B Permit was being processed
But the people here said it would be okay and gave me some kind of letter in case it was a problem.. but nobody asked me about it at all
So who knows

So anyway then I went home and waited for the B Permit to be approved
And every 2 weeks we would call and they would say "Err its just really busy at the moment. It will definitely be done it 2 weeks.. if you dont have it by then call back again".. that happened again and again and again and I was worried the 3 months would expire

But finally they got it finished and I came over the following week

So really.. Im not sure we can help you with your question, because I didnt try to stick around so it isnt the same at all.. sorry!
But if you have any questions about what we did do we'd gladly answer..

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.04.2010, 18:17
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah I had to apply from my home country.. where is your home?

I got told different things from different people everywhere. It was so frustrating. The Swiss Embassy in Australia was saying totally different things to.. whatever the place here is called.

Have you filed everything for your B Permit now? Is that what youre entitled to? I'm not really sure how it works seeing as your spouse is non-EU as well.
I applied for my B Permit at the same time as the marriage application. The B Permit took a LOT longer to be approved..

But I dont know.. maybe contact florida_sweetie! I know she was waiting for her B Permit and already lives here.. maybe her tourist visa hasnt expired yet though.. but anyway maybe she can shine some light on it for you..

All we did was; I applied for the permit and marriage to the Swiss Consulate in Australia.
The marriage application got approved pretty quickly, and while I was here for a one month holiday we went into that Gemfajkrhgarfjasa (i'm sick of trying to remember that word) place and confirmed it all.. which meant there was like 10 days for it to all get processed or whatever and after that we had 3 months to get married

The lady from the Consulate in Australia had told me I could not enter Switzerland while my B Permit was being processed
But the people here said it would be okay and gave me some kind of letter in case it was a problem.. but nobody asked me about it at all
So who knows

So anyway then I went home and waited for the B Permit to be approved
And every 2 weeks we would call and they would say "Err its just really busy at the moment. It will definitely be done it 2 weeks.. if you dont have it by then call back again".. that happened again and again and again and I was worried the 3 months would expire

But finally they got it finished and I came over the following week

So really.. Im not sure we can help you with your question, because I didnt try to stick around so it isnt the same at all.. sorry!
But if you have any questions about what we did do we'd gladly answer..

Good luck
Thank you, it actually does help a lot. I haven't filed for a permit as yet, because I didn't know I had enough grounds (with not being married as yet, etc.) But I think it's an excellent idea. I've been in and out of the country for the last 6 months and we submitted the papers for the marriage in Geneva, together.

Actually, I'd be OK with going back to Hungary for the months preceding the wedding, so that I could get my permit by the end. But my fiance wants to hear none of it and wants me with him all the time... So I'll have to figure something out. Well, I'm not entitled to any permit, as the non-EU wife of a non-EU worker, but it's very probable that I'll get the same B that my fiance has.

I'll have to see how it all works in our case. No two stories are the same and a lot is decided on a subjective basis in CH. So we'll see. Thank you for your help! Should anything turn up, I'll ask for sure

Nice spring days!
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.04.2010, 19:51
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

OK, I've been reading on and on (instead of writing my thesis -- bad girl!) and found this:

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/...54.html#a_0054

(click " Overview of ID and visa provisions according to nationality (pdf, 128 Kb)")

And in the row of Hungary, it says ID, NO, NO.

Could someone please kindly explain it to me? Did something get mixed into my green tea or does this mean what I think it means? I really doubt it's a typo...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28.04.2010, 11:18
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Now we're officially getting married in July, in Geneva. We've registered at the Registry (Etat Civil), they noted our names in the book, they even showed us the room and the little plate for the rings.

I don't know if it changes anything. I mean now that we're officially getting married, is it possible to start the process for my B permit (he has one) or do I have any other option to stay in CH longer than 6 months/12?

I'm having my final exam (uni) in June, so I may make that a longer trip to Hungary... but my fiance really wants me to go back to CH as soon as I'm done with my studies. Ahhh! It's such a shame they're so picky about people that are just a little outside their criteria!
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28.04.2010, 11:44
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,180
Groaned at 347 Times in 280 Posts
Thanked 23,353 Times in 8,438 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
Having read this thread, I assume one can apply for some sort of permit from one's home country. Does anyone happen to know how long it takes and whether I can enter the country in the meantime?
Thx loads!
Simple: We are the wrong ones to ask as this heavily depends on your home country!

So: Ask you local Swiss embassy, they are usually quite helpful if you ask before you do something wrong. Overstaying a visa before applying for a residence permit soundy like a very bad plan, so make sure you get this right...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 28.04.2010, 17:44
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

Quote:
View Post
Overstaying a visa before applying for a residence permit soundy like a very bad plan, so make sure you get this right...
Not planning to!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.04.2010, 14:23
fl0werstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 288
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 44 Posts
fl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeablefl0werstar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tourist visa over before Swiss wedding -- how could I stay?

OK, we're going to do the "fiance visa" thing, meaning that now we have a fixed date for our wedding this summer, we'll simply contact the authorities and ask for an extension of my tourist status or whatever. Searching the net for days, I now know that the evaluation process is totally subjunctive. I can just as well get an L permit as a prolonged tourist status, and might even be rejected altogether. But as I've mentioned before, I'm not the cheating type. I like to know my options so that I can choose the most convenient one (thus my questions about a prolonged stay), but I was never planning to go to CH and stay longer than 90 days. Especially since we might want to live there for a long time.

So wish me luck. I'll let you all know how it went, given that they ever pick up the phone.

[UPDATE:]
They have and the guy was really nice. (Of course I was speaking in French.) He said he had no idea why I thought it was complicated. (Well, I couldn't tell him I'd been reading stories online, now could I?) He told me it is a very simple procedure, I don't even have to leave CH after submitting the papers. So we'll need to schedule a date for me and my fiance to both be available and go to this Aliens Police, what not. And bring 1) "some paper confirming the proposed date of our wedding" (He said if we sign a paper stating it even that's fine.) 2) "some paper stating his employee status and salary" (He didn't mention his permit but I guess it helps.) 3) 2 photos of me smiling nicely 4) copies of our passports. He added that it might take weeks for them to decide, but there should be no problem and I can stay in CH while waiting for their response.
So these are good news. I hope he wasn't overoptimistic...
He seemed to like Hungarians So as soon as I'm done with my studies we'll be trotting down to present ourselves.
__________________
"Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others."

Last edited by fl0werstar; 30.04.2010 at 16:36. Reason: news :)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
geneva, marriage, tourist visa, visa, wedding




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss dependent visa and Schengen tourist visa ajithmathew Permits/visas/government 5 18.07.2011 11:45
validity period for Swiss Schengen Visa for short stay smilewith Permits/visas/government 14 26.03.2010 09:08
Tourist Visa valid untill 31st Oct-07, duration of stay 75 jour pradbis Permits/visas/government 4 12.10.2007 15:26
How long do I have to wait to reenter after my 3 months tourist visa stay? akato60 Permits/visas/government 11 31.03.2007 00:14
Tourist Visa then marriage to a swiss national s268952 Permits/visas/government 4 30.01.2007 18:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0