Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #461  
Old 25.11.2010, 12:08
summergirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 110
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 37 Posts
summergirl has earned some respectsummergirl has earned some respect
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
Stay as a tourist for 3 months. Then register as a job seeker - 3 months. Then extend the job seeker permit - 3 months. That gives you 9 motnhs to find something .
Swissbob, can a Non EU also register as a job seeker for 3 months after the initial 3 months as a tourist?
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 25.11.2010, 13:54
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
Swissbob, can a Non EU also register as a job seeker for 3 months after the initial 3 months as a tourist?
No, as non-EU countries do not have freedom of movement agreements with Switzerland.

Last edited by swissbob; 26.11.2010 at 07:27. Reason: Thanks miniMia :)
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 25.11.2010, 18:49
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,569
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,172 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
No, as EU countries do not have freedom of movement agreements with Switzerland.
Just to be clear, I think Bob means in answer to SummerRain:
"No, as NON-EU countries do not have freedom of movement agreements with Switzerland."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #464  
Old 25.11.2010, 18:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Arewa77 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

hi
quiet a great jobs of enlightenment on the parameters of residency permits. well done... very helpful indeed
arewa
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 26.11.2010, 06:21
summergirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 110
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 37 Posts
summergirl has earned some respectsummergirl has earned some respect
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
Just to be clear, I think Bob means in answer to SummerRain:
"No, as NON-EU countries do not have freedom of movement agreements with Switzerland."
Thanks for clarifying Swissbob and MiniMia, it got me a bit confused since this was the Non EU thread, too bad for me then.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 26.11.2010, 17:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: dc
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yella has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

HI all
I am new to this forum but could greatly use some guidance as I have been thoroughly confused by this whole process. I read through the pages and found similar cases to mine, but not quite.

Here it goes.

I am American and my boyfriend is Swiss, and have been here for 2 months. I have been offered an unpaid internship and the organization I will work for hires this other company to do this process for them, and they have me really confused.

They said I need to go back to the US asap and file my visa application with the consulate, and then once that is approved and I get to geneva, I file the app for the work permit. Is this true? Do I have to physically be in the US to start the visa process or can I begin it here ? I was hoping to go back to the US for Xmas but didnt want to leave so soon..

I am supposed to start the first week of January, and would love to be back here in time for new years to spend it with my boyfriend (and to be here for the start of the internship), do you think the consulate in DC could get me the visa in 3 weeks? Any way to speed the "8-10" weeks process up?

What are the chances of them rejecting the application? The woman from the company helping the process was nasty and mentioned that the swiss government might be tired of having unpaid interns and that they could reject it.

Also, from these threads it seems that the permit I will get is an L for 3-4 months. If the organization wished to hire me after the internship would this be a problem?


Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 26.11.2010, 17:58
richardm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: #murica
Posts: 665
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 145 Posts
richardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of manyrichardm has earned the respect of many
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Yella, I've been told that you must be OUT of the Schengen zone in order for your Schengen entry visa to be approved.

When I was at the Swiss consulate (in the US) dealing with that mess, the clerk was very adamant that the visa would take 4-6 weeks for approval until I handed her copies of the Swiss cantonal and federal work authorization (conditional approval, I think) letters which had been sent to my company's HR dept. Then she suddenly changed her tune and became helpful. Rush processing, which was "not available," suddenly became available. I had the visa within a week.

I also got a B right from the start... No L. I've been very lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 26.11.2010, 18:48
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,569
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,172 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
Yella, I've been told that you must be OUT of the Schengen zone in order for your Schengen entry visa to be approved.

When I was at the Swiss consulate (in the US) dealing with that mess, the clerk was very adamant that the visa would take 4-6 weeks for approval until I handed her copies of the Swiss cantonal and federal work authorization (conditional approval, I think) letters which had been sent to my company's HR dept. Then she suddenly changed her tune and became helpful. Rush processing, which was "not available," suddenly became available. I had the visa within a week.

I also got a B right from the start... No L. I've been very lucky.
That's because you had more than 1/2 the work done by having the authorization already in place. That's the difficult part. The rest is a formality.
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 26.11.2010, 19:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: dc
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yella has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

I guess thats whats got me confused. The woman from the corporate services company mentioned that I go get the visa in DC asap, and once Im back here they will file the app for the work permit.

But then I look at poor designed diagrams on the swiss gov website that say that the FOM gives the approval for the visa after the Employer (or in my case, the corporate services company) applies at the cantonal employment service.

How am I to get these authorization letters if they only will apply for it once I am here? (This is not the same as the "employment letter or work contract" talked about in the Work VIsa pdf on the embassy site right?)

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 04.12.2010, 06:38
Ark3000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: India
Posts: 105
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Ark3000 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

I have two queries..............


What are the pre-requisites for obtaining a permit which I want to obtain independently without looking for any jobs ???

Also,what kind of permit would allow and enable me to open up my personal business or enterprise in the CH ???
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 04.12.2010, 09:56
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
I have two queries..............


What are the pre-requisites for obtaining a permit which I want to obtain independently without looking for any jobs ???

Also,what kind of permit would allow and enable me to open up my personal business or enterprise in the CH ???
In your current situation you would have to start the business first and then the business would have to employ you. The business would have to fullfil all the employment requirements.

Your chances of this working? Very close to zero.
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 14.12.2010, 18:12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 394
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 303 Times in 181 Posts
ThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputationThomasSSS has an excellent reputation
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

I am non-EU, (USian) currently in Germany. I recently received my immigration visa to enter Switzerland. The clerk/consul or whoever it was at the Swiss consulate assured me that it did not need to be stamped on entry - that my next stop would be registration with the town hall. This seems to contradict the bullet point first post.

Is there some exception in play when you receive the visa within the Schengen zone? Or is this a recent change? Or do I need to worry after all about finding somebody to stamp the thing when crossing the border by train?
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 14.12.2010, 18:34
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
I am non-EU, (USian) currently in Germany. I recently received my immigration visa to enter Switzerland. The clerk/consul or whoever it was at the Swiss consulate assured me that it did not need to be stamped on entry - that my next stop would be registration with the town hall. This seems to contradict the bullet point first post.

Is there some exception in play when you receive the visa within the Schengen zone? Or is this a recent change? Or do I need to worry after all about finding somebody to stamp the thing when crossing the border by train?
You'll be fine - this happens all the time these days. Just explain at the local town hall. Mine, for example, will stamp it for you.
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 15.12.2010, 12:05
oakley3's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 283
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 176 Times in 90 Posts
oakley3 has earned the respect of manyoakley3 has earned the respect of manyoakley3 has earned the respect of many
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Hi everyone!

I and my family have L permits, despite my 100%/non-time-sensitive gig. My employer recently told employees they would not pay for re-upping permits anymore--before they had *kind of* taken care of the initial application. I would appreciate your wisdom:

Must a reapplication come from the employer or can I instigate the process?
How early can I reapply? (I believe my current L is up in May)
Is my chance to be issued a proper B permit influenced by anything I do, or is it at the will of fate?
Will the government send me notification to re-up the permit, or should I hound this my self?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 20.12.2010, 19:13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kwinnie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

I'm Philippine National but have a working visa in Dubai. Am planning to resign and go back to Philippines to marry my Swiss fiance but he kept on telling me that it's hard to take me to Switzerland if our marriage will be in my country and that it will be easier to get my residence visa in Switzerland if we will marry there.

Is it possible to avail a residence visa in Switzerland if you're married with a Swiss but your marriage took place in other country? Philippines for example?
How long it will take? Whoever experienced this situation, a bit help and guidance will be appreciated..thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 21.12.2010, 08:54
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone!

I and my family have L permits, despite my 100%/non-time-sensitive gig. My employer recently told employees they would not pay for re-upping permits anymore--before they had *kind of* taken care of the initial application. I would appreciate your wisdom:

Must a reapplication come from the employer or can I instigate the process?
How early can I reapply? (I believe my current L is up in May)
Is my chance to be issued a proper B permit influenced by anything I do, or is it at the will of fate?
Will the government send me notification to re-up the permit, or should I hound this my self?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Your company doesn't get the choice. After 24 months the permits will automatically change to a B.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #477  
Old 21.12.2010, 08:55
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
I'm Philippine National but have a working visa in Dubai. Am planning to resign and go back to Philippines to marry my Swiss fiance but he kept on telling me that it's hard to take me to Switzerland if our marriage will be in my country and that it will be easier to get my residence visa in Switzerland if we will marry there.

Is it possible to avail a residence visa in Switzerland if you're married with a Swiss but your marriage took place in other country? Philippines for example?
How long it will take? Whoever experienced this situation, a bit help and guidance will be appreciated..thanks.
Shouldn't matter either way but maybe a tad easier in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 15.01.2011, 21:37
pamelap0420's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
pamelap0420 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

B PERMIT (Ausländerausweis)
LONG-TERM WORK PERMIT. SUBJECT TO QUOTA (Aufenthaltbewilligung mit Erwerbstätigkeit)
  • Economic interests
  • Employee qualifications
  • Priority for Swiss and European Union workers
  • Compliance with local employment conditions
  • Availability of quota
  • Renewable until granting of settlement C permit after 10 years (USA + Canada 5 years)
With this permit is one permitted to change employers? And what is the procedure with the immigration office?

Thank you for the great info!
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 17.01.2011, 16:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 48
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
awdhil has annoyed a few people around hereawdhil has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone!

I and my family have L permits, despite my 100%/non-time-sensitive gig. My employer recently told employees they would not pay for re-upping permits anymore--before they had *kind of* taken care of the initial application. I would appreciate your wisdom:

Must a reapplication come from the employer or can I instigate the process?
How early can I reapply? (I believe my current L is up in May)
Is my chance to be issued a proper B permit influenced by anything I do, or is it at the will of fate?
Will the government send me notification to re-up the permit, or should I hound this my self?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Quote:
View Post
Your company doesn't get the choice. After 24 months the permits will automatically change to a B.
uh. uh..automatically changes to B. Then what is all this ruckus about quotas
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 17.01.2011, 17:46
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points.

Quote:
View Post
uh. uh..automatically changes to B. Then what is all this ruckus about quotas
Quotas are for new applicants.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ausweis, non eu, permit, sticky thread, work




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permits: What the the advantages of a C permit? Gav Permits/visas/government 80 22.12.2017 14:28
information on Residence Permits. NicM Permits/visas/government 5 12.03.2012 16:48
Different Permits Tiger Permits/visas/government 12 13.03.2010 21:25
Cumulus points for Rolling Stones Oldhand Daily life 18 15.07.2007 16:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0