Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.06.2010, 18:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Hello,

I will be permanently relocating to Lausanne in 10 days, with my Swiss wife and children (married 7 years), and I have not started to apply for a permit yet - I will be entering on a D (family regroupment) visa.

As I have a Swiss spouse, I assume I am eligible for a C-permit. Can anyone with experience with the permit process confirm that assumption? I imagine I will be dealing with the migration office in Vaud - any pointers? Can I get the paperwork started in the US? The consulates here don't deal with this process.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.06.2010, 18:41
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

As a non EU you are most likely entitled to a B permit unless USA has some special privileges that other countries (Like AUS) does not have.

Prior to entering the country the B / C Permit needs to be applied for. I am assuming this is what you mean by the entering D permit that has been issued for transit purposes only?

Best to consult with the Swiss emabassy / consultate from your particular area for direct, accurate answers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AnAustralian for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.06.2010, 18:42
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
As I have a Swiss spouse, I assume I am eligible for a C-permit.
Yes, after having a B for the first 5 years (unless they've changed that rule recently).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.06.2010, 18:43
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
Yes, after having a B for 5 years (unless they've changed that rule recently).
He is also entitled to apply for naturalisation having been married to a Swiss person longer than 6 years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AnAustralian for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.06.2010, 18:52
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: st-Gallen
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sabine13 has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Hi there
That is not exactly the case. I am a Swiss citizen, married with my US-hubby for 11 years.... When we move back to Switzerland in 2005 my husband got a B-permit, which you had to be renewed every year (please do not get divorced or separated.....lots of trouble there). After 5 years you will obtain a C-permit. hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sabine13 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.06.2010, 19:24
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

I will be permanently relocating to Lausanne in 10 days, with my Swiss wife and children (married 7 years), and I have not started to apply for a permit yet - I will be entering on a D (family regroupment) visa.

As I have a Swiss spouse, I assume I am eligible for a C-permit. Can anyone with experience with the permit process confirm that assumption? I imagine I will be dealing with the migration office in Vaud - any pointers? Can I get the paperwork started in the US? The consulates here don't deal with this process.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
The D visa is a Schengen visa and has nothing to do with family regroupment. You should apply for your residence permit before arrival. The Swiss embassy in the US certainly does deal with this process.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.06.2010, 20:12
Chicago's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 57 Posts
Chicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of many
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Schengen Treaty impacts both EU and Non-EU Visas into Switzerland. It's new and we are all still getting used to the changes.

The Swiss Embassy in the US website links all entry visas to Shengen.
http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/nameri/vusa/ref_visinf/visusa.html

The way I read it:
1. You have filled out your forms for the D visa, submitted all the required documents, paid your fees, and waited your 8-10 weeks.
2. The approval arrived and you submitted your passports as requested
3. All passports should have come back with the visa/reentry stamp one of the pages. Mine was a big yellow sticker but that was before the Shengen Treaty so I'm not sure what the new one looks like or if it is processed the same way.

I'm not an expert but these steps are complete, you're probably good to go and officially ready to come to Switzerland.

Register at your local Gemeinde office within 10 days of arrival.

As previously mentioned B-Visa first 5 years with annual application. Mine automatically changed to a C-Visa after that. Unless you get your passport sooner. Use the search function if you want to learn more about citizenship.


WELCOME!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chicago for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.06.2010, 14:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

As I have a Swiss spouse, I assume I am eligible for a C-permit. Can anyone with experience with the permit process confirm that assumption?
Yes after 3 years of uninterrupted marriage & stay in Switzerland, you are eligible for a C. Before that, I really doubt.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 01.07.2010, 20:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Thanks for all of the information.

Btw: My visa arrived: It is a D visa and has "Raisons familiales" printed under the 'Remarks' heading. Also, stapled into my passport is a reminder to report to the Department of Migration within two weeks of my arrival in Switzerland, just in case anyone else reading this is wondering what to expect in a circumstance similar to mine.

The consulate in New York actually told me that they don't deal with residence permits and that I would have to apply once I was in Switzerland. I'll report back to this thread and let you all know what hoops I had to jump through on my way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.07.2010, 20:42
Chicago's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 155
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 57 Posts
Chicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of manyChicago has earned the respect of many
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Compared to entering the US it is extremely easy once you get here. Most of the work is already done with getting the visa.

FYI, a lot of cities/villages in Switzerland have their own websites. Just type in the city name and .ch like: www.lausanne.ch

There you'll find a lot of useful information there to get settled in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.07.2010, 11:19
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all of the information.

Btw: My visa arrived: It is a D visa and has "Raisons familiales" printed under the 'Remarks' heading. Also, stapled into my passport is a reminder to report to the Department of Migration within two weeks of my arrival in Switzerland, just in case anyone else reading this is wondering what to expect in a circumstance similar to mine.

The consulate in New York actually told me that they don't deal with residence permits and that I would have to apply once I was in Switzerland. I'll report back to this thread and let you all know what hoops I had to jump through on my way.
Understandable confusion here - you wouldn't get the Schengen visa without your application for a work and residence permit being approved. Your employer will have done this for you. The visa gets you into the country. Within 8 days of arrival you register at your local town hall and they issue the actual permit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.07.2010, 15:13
aknarb's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: location
Posts: 117
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 12 Posts
aknarb has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

As far I can see lot of people confuse permits and family reunion visas.
When want to enter in Switzerland as spouse of Swiss citizen procedure is (as far as I know):

1. Apply for D visa (Visa with purpose of Family reunion) in Swiss embassy in your country- This application can include documents for marriage registration in Switzerland before approval of visa
2. In Switzerland apply for permit
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.07.2010, 20:43
Sundog's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 51
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 17 Posts
Sundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

The entry visa (usually good for one single entry) is good to enter Switzerland. Upon arrival you will need to register with your local community. They will give you a B permit.

With a Swiss spouse, and having been married for 7 years you may be able to apply for Swiss citizenship after 3 years. Ask the community about this when you get your B permit. There are a number of threads in the forum about 'Facilitated Naturalization'.

After five years with a Swiss spouse, you can qualify for a C permit.

As a US citizen, make sure you understand your tax obligations if you ever plan to visit the USA again. Also remember to file your FBAR form.

Make sure to get your Swiss Drivers license during your first year here. You are entitled to keep your US license.

Enjoy Switzerland! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.07.2010, 23:28
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
The entry visa (usually good for one single entry) is good to enter Switzerland. Upon arrival you will need to register with your local community. They will give you a B permit.

With a Swiss spouse, and having been married for 7 years you may be able to apply for Swiss citizenship after 3 years. Ask the community about this when you get your B permit. There are a number of threads in the forum about 'Facilitated Naturalization'.

After five years with a Swiss spouse, you can qualify for a C permit.

As a US citizen, make sure you understand your tax obligations if you ever plan to visit the USA again. Also remember to file your FBAR form.

Make sure to get your Swiss Drivers license during your first year here. You are entitled to keep your US license.

Enjoy Switzerland! :-)
After being married for longer than 6 years and living outside Switzerland for this time, the OP is permitted to apply for naturalisation under Act 28 ( I think this is the correct act, best to search for it).

HOWEVER, once in the country there might be more difficult requirements for the OP to have a good grasp of the local language and be able to show good ties with the country. This can vary from Canton to Canton, regarding expecations. Once in the country it might be worth integrating for a while first prior to applying (i.e. working, learning and understanding the local language, family ties etc). Best to speak to Migration in the local canton about this.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.07.2010, 08:01
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
With a Swiss spouse, and having been married for 7 years you may be able to apply for Swiss citizenship after 3 years. Ask the community about this when you get your B permit. There are a number of threads in the forum about 'Facilitated Naturalization'.
Married 3 years, in Switzerland 5 years. Last 12 months non-interupted. Source.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.07.2010, 09:02
Sundog's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 51
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 17 Posts
Sundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
Married 3 years, in Switzerland 5 years. Last 12 months non-interupted. Source.
The second sentence suggests the OP is currently eligible to apply for Swiss citizenship. Six years marriage and living abroad, as long as the OP has close Swiss ties (whatever that means )
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.07.2010, 09:05
Sundog's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 51
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 17 Posts
Sundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
After being married for longer than 6 years and living outside Switzerland for this time, the OP is permitted to apply for naturalisation under Act 28 ( I think this is the correct act, best to search for it).

HOWEVER, once in the country there might be more difficult requirements for the OP to have a good grasp of the local language and be able to show good ties with the country. This can vary from Canton to Canton, regarding expecations. Once in the country it might be worth integrating for a while first prior to applying (i.e. working, learning and understanding the local language, family ties etc). Best to speak to Migration in the local canton about this.
Facilitated Naturalization is a Federal issue and does not hinge on Cantonal approval. As long as the OP doesn't present a danger, then he's likely to be approved (as long as the OP meets the other requirements).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sundog for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 03.07.2010, 09:07
Sundog's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 51
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 17 Posts
Sundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeableSundog is considered knowledgeable
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Just a comment as I'm a newbie here, and can't edit posts...

All of the information on Facilitated Naturalization can change at any time, so be sure to clarify things with either your local community, or if you're doing this abroad, with the Swiss embassy/consulate in your country.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sundog for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 23.12.2011, 18:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iranian has no particular reputation at present
Re: US Citizen/Swiss spouse/C-permit (?)

Quote:
View Post
Yes after 3 years of uninterrupted marriage & stay in Switzerland, you are eligible for a C. Before that, I really doubt.


hey i had a question perhaps u can help me..
im kinda confused

im am an iranian and im married to a swiss for almost 3 years.. januari will be our third year.. however.. i have lived in swiss for about 8/9 years. i came here as a refugee.
i now have a B permit... but they told me in the past that i could get my C permit after 3 years.. but now i hear that i can apply for a c after 5 years..


which one is correct ? when will i get my c finally..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
c permit, swiss spouse, vaud




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-EU spouse of an EU citizen + C permit holder tuteca Permits/visas/government 48 05.09.2011 18:04
What are the rights of a spouse of a Swiss Citizen? Curt556 Permits/visas/government 14 26.11.2009 09:21
Cross-border permit for non-EU spouse of EU citizen anrtay Permits/visas/government 6 02.10.2009 09:44
EINREISEERLAUBNIS (Entry Permit) Non-EU Spouse of Swiss Citizen 2CH Permits/visas/government 6 16.07.2008 04:49
UK citizen (with Chinese Spouse and USA children) permit query Dougal Permits/visas/government 11 12.02.2008 12:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0