Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.07.2010, 14:10
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Hi,

I plan on holidaying in France with a person who requires a visa to enter any Schengen country. How should we best go about organising this? Can she apply for a visa at the Swiss embassy but travel directly to France and not enter Switzerland at all? Switzerland allows a person inviting a guest to guarantee to cover the costs of the guests stay. I feel that would make it much easier to actually get the visa so that is why I think applying through the Swiss embassy is a good idea. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.07.2010, 14:27
varun.c.jain's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 279
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
varun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of many
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

hi "Rambo",
I am an Indian national and need a Schengen visa to cross the Schengen borders myself whilst travelling for work... what I have done in the past, or rather my company has done for me, is to get a work visa indicating my deputation at their European office in Germany from the German consulate, using which I have entered the Schengen states through various port of entries, including Paris, Vienna and even Milan... so I am assuming that the Schengen visa taken from any consulate is good enough to enter the Schengen states from any port of entry... and in your case, the lady in question, can enter France directly even with a Schengen visa issued by the Switzerland consulate.

She might be asked her final destination at the immigration in Paris, to which she can reply 'Switzerland', but it is not at all mandatory that she visits Switzerland during her trip... its almost like one of those rhetorical questions, which I at times assume I am not even expected to answer... like they are saying in the back of their head, "yeah yeah, I know, you are a typical tourist, not a threat, and I hate my job for repeating this question to every brown/black/yellow/white/purple person who turns up at this counter... so what's your final destination, eh?... you know what I didn't even understand your answer in that funny Indian accent, but what the heck... <STAMP>... have a nice stay!"

Last edited by varun.c.jain; 19.07.2010 at 14:43. Reason: readability
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank varun.c.jain for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 19.07.2010, 14:39
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
hi "Rambo",
I am an Indian national and need a Schengen visa to cross the Schengen borders myself whilst travelling for work... what I have done in the past, or rather my company has done for me, is to get a work visa indicating my deputation at their European office in Germany from the German consulate, using which I have entered the Schengen states through various port of entries, including Paris, Vienna and even Milan... so I am assuming that the Schengen visa taken from any consulate is good enough to enter the Schengen states from any port of entry... and in your case, the lady in question, can enter France directly even with a Schengen visa issued by the Switzerland consulate.

She might be asked her final destination at the immigration in Paris, to which she can reply 'Switzerland', but it is not at all mandatory that she visits Switzerland during her trip... its almost like one of those rhetorical questions, which I at times assume I am not even expected to answer... like they are saying in the back of their head, "yeah yeah, I know, you are a typical tourist, not a threat, and I hate my job for repeating this question to every brown/black/yellow/white/purple person who turns up at this counter... so what's your final destination, eh?... you know what I didn't even understand your answer in that funny Indian accent, but what the heck... <STAMP>... have a nice stay!"
Thanks a lot for your post. Final destination is a question on the Schengen visa application form. What if she just put France and did not mention Switzerland? Could this cause a problem with the granting of the visa?

First point of entry will be Germany or Austria as these are the only flight paths available.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.07.2010, 14:51
varun.c.jain's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 279
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
varun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of many
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

hmmm, you know what I have always been stumped myself with such questions on the visa forms, as I myself have entered the EU from various ports and have gone to work/travel at various other places during my stay... so how could they ask for a single destination?!
and specially if you are a tourist on a Euro trip, then how can there be a single answer ever for such a question... in any case, what I feel is that it would be better to put in Switzerland as an answer to this question, as she will be indicating your address as her location of stay for the vacation period... she would be required to carry an invitiation letter from you too, so that makes it all the more logical to apply for the visa from the Swiss consulate, and mention Switzerland as her destination...
I have done something similar myself... entered EU through Frankfurt on an Italian Schengen visa, and stayed for work at my German office , never even stepping foot in Italy during the stay... I was even able to register and get a German residence permit with that visa, so I guess you are not taking any risk by putting any destination in that particular column...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank varun.c.jain for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 19.07.2010, 16:03
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I plan on holidaying in France with a person who requires a visa to enter any Schengen country. How should we best go about organising this? Can she apply for a visa at the Swiss embassy but travel directly to France and not enter Switzerland at all? Switzerland allows a person inviting a guest to guarantee to cover the costs of the guests stay. I feel that would make it much easier to actually get the visa so that is why I think applying through the Swiss embassy is a good idea. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
I'm trying to think of a reason why your friend wouldn't simply apply at the French embassy ?

Nope, can't think of one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.07.2010, 16:46
varun.c.jain's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 279
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
varun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of many
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
I'm trying to think of a reason why your friend wouldn't simply apply at the French embassy ?
I am guessing this is so because she would need to gather all sorts of documents including travel itinerary, hotel bookings, sustainability proof, invitation letter, etc. etc. etc. all within France before she applies for the visa... getting all these things in place much before your actual date of travel requires a lot of pre-planning, which is a bit of a bother honestly speaking... applying at the Swiss consulate, with the reason of visit as "visiting friends/family" and presenting Rambo's residential, financial, etc. details as part of the travel plan, would make it easier for her to deal with the paperwork...
I just applied for a Brit visa as part of my plan to visit my brother for a week (he stays in Reading), and had to go through the same procedure, and found it a blessing that I was able to state my brother's details and did not need to go about proving in a much more difficult manner about the intent of my visit, and particularly my intent of coming back to Switzerland!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.07.2010, 18:11
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
I'm trying to think of a reason why your friend wouldn't simply apply at the French embassy ?

Nope, can't think of one.
The reason is that as I am a resident of Switzerland, I can guarantee to cover her costs. Can I do that if she applies at the French embassy?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.07.2010, 18:53
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 3,994
Groaned at 104 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I plan on holidaying in France with a person who requires a visa to enter any Schengen country. How should we best go about organising this? Can she apply for a visa at the Swiss embassy but travel directly to France and not enter Switzerland at all? Switzerland allows a person inviting a guest to guarantee to cover the costs of the guests stay. I feel that would make it much easier to actually get the visa so that is why I think applying through the Swiss embassy is a good idea. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Dack....if I remember rightly from previous posts, you were in a similar situation with somebody from Belarus....you wanted them to stay here? Correct?

If so and if this is an ongoing relationship, I suggest that you just tell the truth or it may get a bit messy in future.

It seems like your options are...

1. Book the flights and hotels and then take this stuff to the French Embassy for a tourist visa

2. Pretend that they are coming to Switzerland then don't come

3. Apply for Swiss, enter Schengen in Switz, then travel to France together.

Given that you need to book everything for your holiday anyway, #1 seems the easiest option to me (providing hotel bookings in probably easier than proving your financial stability, underwriting costs etc etc). Remember that the VAST majority of visas issued are for tourists so the systems are pretty effective.

Too long for here, but we had a problem last year with my partner re-entering Switzerland on a Schengen visa because it was issued in Spain and wasn't on the Swiss computer system....they called us up on holiday in Barcelona and told us she couldn't fly back! It was all sorted in the end, but - without sounding too saintly about it - you're probably best just telling the truth!

Good luck
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 19.07.2010, 18:56
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,740
Groaned at 106 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 5,665 Times in 2,772 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

I invited my sister recently, what I had to do is show that I have an income and a residence permit and write a letter of invitation (a simple one, I actually sent an email!) and send it directly to the embassy in my home country (Peru). What I did was googled the embassy in Peru and looked at the requirements, otherwise your friend could call and since CH is part of Schengen now she can get a visa for up to 3 months with multiple entries so you can travel with no worries. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Angela-74 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 19.07.2010, 23:11
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
The reason is that as I am a resident of Switzerland, I can guarantee to cover her costs. Can I do that if she applies at the French embassy?
So you would aid her in her visa application by completing documents indicating your supporting her while visiting Switzerland in the knowledge that she would never actually come here. That is fraud, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.07.2010, 23:13
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
I invited my sister recently, what I had to do is show that I have an income and a residence permit and write a letter of invitation (a simple one, I actually sent an email!) and send it directly to the embassy in my home country (Peru). What I did was googled the embassy in Peru and looked at the requirements, otherwise your friend could call and since CH is part of Schengen now she can get a visa for up to 3 months with multiple entries so you can travel with no worries. Good luck!
... except your sister was actually coming to Switzerland .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19.07.2010, 23:38
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,740
Groaned at 106 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 5,665 Times in 2,772 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
... except your sister was actually coming to Switzerland .
Oops I missed that part of the first post
I would recommend, honestly, to be very careful on who you "sponsor" to come to CH, because if they do not leave Schengen territory you can get a hefty fine and I mean like thousands of Euros...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.07.2010, 09:21
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
So you would aid her in her visa application by completing documents indicating your supporting her while visiting Switzerland in the knowledge that she would never actually come here. That is fraud, isn't it?
How is that fraud? Don't make such serious accusations whle hiding behind anonymity you coward. Any guarantee relating to a Schengen visa is valid for the entire Schengen area. If this type of stupidity and ignorance is all you can offer just shut up.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at Dack Rambo for this post:
  #14  
Old 20.07.2010, 09:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 93
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 30 Posts
pregny has earned some respectpregny has earned some respect
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

I remember a couple of years ago, i went to the French consulate because it was simply the closest to where I was working to get my visa. I had until that time always gotten annual schengen visas but only received a visa for six months that time because the visa officer saw that I had used the previous French schengen visa to enter Spain immediately after issuance of the visa so I was 'penalized' for not choosing the correct consulate to do my visa.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pregny for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 20.07.2010, 09:51
varun.c.jain's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 279
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
varun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of many
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

wow, thats a lot of new stuff for me... so tell me this, I stay in Bangalore, which has direct flights to Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, etc. but not to Vienna... so if I get an Austrian Schengen Visa, and fly to Frankfurt, and then connect to Vienna, I would be penalized next time for entering EU through Germany and not Austria? wtf... I'm sorry but this makes no sense...
I even mentioned that I came to EU on an Italian work permit, and then got myself registered in the German system with a valid Residence Permit... if those authorities didn't have a problem so long as I was on the correct Type-D Schengen visa (work visa), issued from whichever consulate, then why would you think that the French authorities will have a problem with the OP's friend coming in on a Swiss Type-C Schengen visa... are you trying to imply that if she just takes a train to Basel from Paris and back, then it would all be justified?
you guys are totally defying the concept of open borders... this is the convenience which has been given to people within the EU to move about without requiring a visa, and to people outside the EU to do the same with a single visa... ofcourse then there are other countries outside the EU whose citizens don't even need a visa to come to the EU, but that's a different topic...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank varun.c.jain for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 20.07.2010, 09:53
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,816
Groaned at 188 Times in 115 Posts
Thanked 1,792 Times in 881 Posts
Dack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputationDack Rambo has an excellent reputation
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
I remember a couple of years ago, i went to the French consulate because it was simply the closest to where I was working to get my visa. I had until that time always gotten annual schengen visas but only received a visa for six months that time because the visa officer saw that I had used the previous French schengen visa to enter Spain immediately after issuance of the visa so I was 'penalized' for not choosing the correct consulate to do my visa.

very interesting to hear that. Did you receive any offical explanation as to why your visa was issued for a shorter period?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.07.2010, 10:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 93
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 30 Posts
pregny has earned some respectpregny has earned some respect
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Again, this was a couple of years ago, maybe 2000-2001, the official reason at that was that 'port of entry' should have been the country where the visa was applied for. I guess they don't want you to just to 'embassy-shop' ( because at that time, the requirements, were different in all consulates)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 20.07.2010, 10:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 93
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 30 Posts
pregny has earned some respectpregny has earned some respect
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
wow, thats a lot of new stuff for me... so tell me this, I stay in Bangalore, which has direct flights to Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, etc. but not to Vienna... so if I get an Austrian Schengen Visa, and fly to Frankfurt, and then connect to Vienna, I would be penalized next time for entering EU through Germany and not Austria? wtf... I'm sorry but this makes no sense...
I even mentioned that I came to EU on an Italian work permit, and then got myself registered in the German system with a valid Residence Permit... if those authorities didn't have a problem so long as I was on the correct Type-D Schengen visa (work visa), issued from whichever consulate, then why would you think that the French authorities will have a problem with the OP's friend coming in on a Swiss Type-C Schengen visa... are you trying to imply that if she just takes a train to Basel from Paris and back, then it would all be justified?
you guys are totally defying the concept of open borders... this is the convenience which has been given to people within the EU to move about without requiring a visa, and to people outside the EU to do the same with a single visa... ofcourse then there are other countries outside the EU whose citizens don't even need a visa to come to the EU, but that's a different topic...
Did you actually personally apply for your visa or did your company apply for you? One of the questions on the forms used to be, 'what your first port of entry'.
In my case, the Visa officer actually saw the Barcelona stamp on my previous visa and didn't issue the annual visa because he thought that I should have applied directly for the spanish one.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 20.07.2010, 10:37
swissbob
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
How is that fraud?
Don't get your knickers in a twist - it's not me that's trying to work around the system. The nine elements of fraud:

  1. a representation of an existing fact;
  2. its materiality;
  3. its falsity;
  4. the speaker's knowledge of its falsity;
  5. the speaker's intent that it shall be acted upon by the plaintiff;
  6. plaintiff's ignorance of its falsity;
  7. plaintiff's reliance on the truth of the representation;
  8. plaintiff's right to rely upon it; and
  9. consequent damages suffered by plaintiff.
I reckon you'd score 8 out of nine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 20.07.2010, 10:40
varun.c.jain's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 279
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 139 Times in 87 Posts
varun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of manyvarun.c.jain has earned the respect of many
Re: Invitation requires Schengen Visa

Quote:
View Post
Did you actually personally apply for your visa or did your company apply for you? One of the questions on the forms used to be, 'what your first port of entry'.
In my case, the Visa officer actually saw the Barcelona stamp on my previous visa and didn't issue the annual visa because he thought that I should have applied directly for the spanish one.
well yes my company did apply for my visa, as they were sponsoring it, but I filled up the form myself, as it needs a lot of my personal/project specific information and even my signature... even I did come across this particular question in the form while applying at the Italian consulate for my original Italy based project... I had no clue from which airlines I shall be flying with, so I simply put in Milan... later when I actually got the visa, I had to commit myself to this other project in Germany, and flew in from Frankfurt, without even visiting Italy during that trip... I was carrying the Italian WP document along with the visa, which was good enough for the German authorities to give me a residence permit...

and you are talking about 2000-01... I think that time even the forms for each country's Schengen visa were different, with different photograph requirements too (jeez, I wonder why!)... however now things are simpler, with similar forms and other stuff at all EU consulates... even the visas look similar...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
invitation, schengen, visa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss dependent visa and Schengen tourist visa ajithmathew Permits/visas/government 5 18.07.2011 10:45
B permit expiry and Visa invitation kvrbpl Permits/visas/government 1 15.02.2010 17:41
Invitation Letter for non-EU without visa need msolis Permits/visas/government 1 17.11.2008 01:10
Schengen visa starry riflyk Permits/visas/government 2 29.07.2008 17:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0