Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.09.2010, 03:36
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Hi everybody, I am in a big dilemma here and don't know where I can search for an advice. I am a non EU citizen (my country will join the EU in just few years) and my girlfriend is a French. She had to move due to her job in Switzerland, now is a holder of B permit. We used to live together and her relocation was a big chance for her, so we decided to go along. I entered Switzerland just few weeks ago, I don't need visa or anything as long as I stay 3 months. We would like to continue living together and me finding a job here. We have looked through all the possibilities and it seems that our best shot is to get married so I can get a work permit.

Can we get married in Switzerland without going back home? If it is possible to do it in Switzerland, what kind of documents will I need?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.09.2010, 08:30
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,888
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,702 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

No offence but if you are going to get married just for you to get a working visa you might as well forget it. Ok i know you love her and stuff but its not right (from the sentinemtal point of view-im a bit emotional today)

To answer your question now: Im sure i have seen this question before. Search and you shall find!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.09.2010, 11:01
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

The thing is, if we want to continue living together as before and stay together, for legal purposes of me not being illegal in Switzerland at least we have to register and get marry in city hall otherwise I should come and go every 3 months and stay only 3 months. Not the best solution. Marriage would have been later for us I guess if it wasn't this situation. I've been searching for this topic with no luck.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.09.2010, 11:07
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,232
Groaned at 351 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 23,444 Times in 8,473 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Easy: Go to the Gemeinde/city hall and ask them. There are different requirements per country (as the documents per country are slightly different) - so it is impossible to say "in general". I would say you have a 99% chance that you will need to go back home and arrange some paper work though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 02.09.2010, 11:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
MissMelbourne has made some interesting contributions
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Hi V,

I'm a non-EU (Australian) and just got married to a Swiss man. We decided to get married while I was in Switzerland as a tourist (like yourself), but I had to go back to Australia to apply for the marriage; I spoke to a lot of people and it seemed there was no other option.

In Australia I had to take my passport, birth certificate and a notarised document stating that I was single to the Swiss Embassy in Sydney, then fill out the application for marriage forms while I was there.

They informed me it would take 6-12 weeks to process, but in only 4 weeks I had my temporary visa (Visa D) and could return to Switzerland and get married.

The process is obviously a little different for each country, and the time line may also be different; if your documents need to be translated it could take quite a bit longer.

Good luck with it all!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MissMelbourne for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 02.09.2010, 12:05
MaKita's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 199
Groaned at 10 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 31 Posts
MaKita has earned some respectMaKita has earned some respect
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Quote:
View Post
Hi everybody, I am in a big dilemma here and don't know where I can search for an advice. I am a non EU citizen (my country will join the EU in just few years) and my girlfriend is a French. She had to move due to her job in Switzerland, now is a holder of B permit. We used to live together and her relocation was a big chance for her, so we decided to go along. I entered Switzerland just few weeks ago, I don't need visa or anything as long as I stay 3 months. We would like to continue living together and me finding a job here. We have looked through all the possibilities and it seems that our best shot is to get married so I can get a work permit.

Can we get married in Switzerland without going back home? If it is possible to do it in Switzerland, what kind of documents will I need?

Thanks in advance.

hi , well you can get married here like a tourist, depend of the rules from your coutry (sometimes i not necesary go back to your country)
normaly need a document to show you are not married already in your country, birth certificate and that you need to traslate with official stamps , i traslate here in zurich.
take some time to make the papperwork, but when you start you dont have problem to stay, of course the permit take longer ( i wait for mine 1 year! )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.10.2011, 12:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Janice Nickleton has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Hi V,

I am also an Aussie in a smiliar situation. We want to get married but wondering what we need to do. So your reply was really helpful to me.

I was not totally clear, did your guy have to come back to Australia to get married there or did you just have to go home to do the paper work there and then come back to get married? How did that work?

As I want to precisely work out what I need to do, I was wondering do you have any idea who is the best local authority to contact in Switzerland to get the info required on what's the necessary proceedure/rights/obligations etc?

I also want to know if I will be able to work after we are married and I come back to Switzerland to live. Was this your case ie. were you able to work on a Visa D (did it get transmitted into a B permit?) or did you have to do the stay at home thing?

Thanks alot!
Janice

Quote:
View Post
Hi V,

I'm a non-EU (Australian) and just got married to a Swiss man. We decided to get married while I was in Switzerland as a tourist (like yourself), but I had to go back to Australia to apply for the marriage; I spoke to a lot of people and it seemed there was no other option.

In Australia I had to take my passport, birth certificate and a notarised document stating that I was single to the Swiss Embassy in Sydney, then fill out the application for marriage forms while I was there.

They informed me it would take 6-12 weeks to process, but in only 4 weeks I had my temporary visa (Visa D) and could return to Switzerland and get married.

The process is obviously a little different for each country, and the time line may also be different; if your documents need to be translated it could take quite a bit longer.

Good luck with it all!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.10.2011, 12:11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mont Sur Rolle
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nadoun00 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

The process of getting married in CH takes between 4 to 9 months. You need to go through the communal, cantonal and then federal authorities. They request a number of documents (e.g. birth certificate, certificate of clean record, family certificate showing u have not been married b4,...). You should check with the communal authorities where you plan to live on what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.10.2011, 17:19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Quote:
View Post
No offence but if you are going to get married just for you to get a working visa you might as well forget it. Ok i know you love her and stuff but its not right (from the sentinemtal point of view-im a bit emotional today)

To answer your question now: Im sure i have seen this question before. Search and you shall find!
I actually agree with you.

I got a green card for the US a few years back, and for obvious reasons my GF could not come with me as she didn't have one.

We decided that getting married for the wrong reasons just wasn't right so I went back to the US embassy and returned my Green card. We're still together and will get married at some point.

Had we tried some funny business, the authorities would have caught us. They are not stupid so taking chances are outright stupid. To be honest, your case is also a little too obvious and you will be found out one way or the other. I'm just being realistic...

Get married because that's what you really want to do and coming from a country who will "almost soon" join the EU is not an argument (a little like I will soon win the lottery)...

Would you mind letting us know what country will soon join the EU?

Just my 2 cents... but I wish you the best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25.10.2011, 17:59
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,231
Groaned at 2,458 Times in 1,778 Posts
Thanked 39,330 Times in 18,537 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Quote:
View Post
The process of getting married in CH takes between 4 to 9 months.
I took us three weeks.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25.10.2011, 18:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nomes has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting married in Switzerland, non EU with EU citizen

Found this website helpful for arranging our marriage...
Good luck!

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countrie...d/marriage.asp
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-EU Citizen married to EU Citizen Plata Permits/visas/government 34 24.05.2015 03:43
EU citizen, B-permit holder - Getting married in Switzerland Rontary Permits/visas/government 15 12.02.2010 13:49
Please Help! Anyone Married a U.S. Citizen? Your suggestions, please! crfesi Permits/visas/government 27 07.02.2010 22:31
Non-EU citizen married to an EU-citizen. Can she work in Switzerland? yovoda Permits/visas/government 4 10.12.2009 11:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0