Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:02
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
I really hope your niece is not going to keep bad scars on her face.
Me too. They had a plastic surgeon look at her fairly soon after she was admitted to hospital, so I assume they have done as much as possible to avoid major scarring.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:03
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 118
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 55 Times in 41 Posts
nikolay has earned some respectnikolay has earned some respect
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
I have received some good news today - not only is my little niece out of hospital, but my family have found a couple (with no children) willing to take on the dog for a trial over the next few weeks. If it works out, then they'll keep her. So fingers crossed the new home and dog gel well.
Тhe wolf changes his coat but not his disposition. I will think twice before taking any further steps.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nikolay for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:04
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
I have received some good news today - not only is my little niece out of hospital, but my family have found a couple (with no children) willing to take on the dog for a trial over the next few weeks. If it works out, then they'll keep her. So fingers crossed the new home and dog gel well.


Presumably this couple will be putting the dog through some sort of rehab/training?

I know nothing about dogs - and indeed was surprised to read some of the comments about labs biting - but can't help but feel that without some form of rehab it'll just happen again in another situation...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:11
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post


Presumably this couple will be putting the dog through some sort of rehab/training?

I know nothing about dogs - and indeed was surprised to read some of the comments about labs biting - but can't help but feel that without some form of rehab it'll just happen again in another situation...

the last stats I saw about dog bites, labs where right at the top (ok there are probably a lot more labs around then any other breed but still)

once a biter always a biter, I hope the new family will be keeping it well away from children and muzzle it when its away from the home.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:17
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post


Presumably this couple will be putting the dog through some sort of rehab/training?

I know nothing about dogs - and indeed was surprised to read some of the comments about labs biting - but can't help but feel that without some form of rehab it'll just happen again in another situation...
I would agree it makes sense for some form of rehab to take place, but without knowing the couple I'm not sure what actions they're going to take should they decide to keep the dog.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:19
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
Тhe wolf changes his coat but not his disposition. I will think twice before taking any further steps.
I agree caution is definitely required, but I do feel that, as the dog has never previously attacked, she deserves a second chance in the right environment, which hopefully this new household proves to be.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PerthPair for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:20
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,231
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
I would agree it makes sense for some form of rehab to take place, but without knowing the couple I'm not sure what actions they're going to take should they decide to keep the dog.
My point was thus that it would be irresponsible for your brother/SIL to rehome the dog in a situation where no corrective action is planned/will be taken.

That's akin to foisting your problem onto someone else and saying "not my problem anymore".

I realise that this is indeed not your problem of course!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:27
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
My point was thus that it would be irresponsible for your brother/SIL to rehome the dog in a situation where no corrective action is planned/will be taken.

That's akin to foisting your problem onto someone else and saying "not my problem anymore".

I realise that this is indeed not your problem of course!
Absolutely fair call - my SIL & BIL are pretty responsible people so I would think they would offer to pay for such rehab. But just in case the rehab concept has been overlooked by them in the last few days due to the focus on their daughter, I'll make sure I suggest the concept to them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PerthPair for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:39
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

This is an awful situation, and very surprising that a Labrador would randomly attack a child, In the UK we have strict dog laws, (some people say they should be stricter)
If the child required stitches and was taken to the hospital, then the Doctors would immediately recognise a dog bite, in that situation the NHS would immediately inform the police and within a matter of hours the police would be around your house to shoot the dog, whether you liked it or not.

A dog that randomly attacks a child has to be put down, its the law. On the other hand I understand things are more lax with regard to the law in the commonwealth, if the dog is dangerous it needs to be put down, NOT given to another family.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:46
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
This is an awful situation, and very surprising that a Labrador would randomly attack a child, In the UK we have strict dog laws, (some people say they should be stricter)
If the child required stitches and was taken to the hospital, then the Doctors would immediately recognise a dog bite, in that situation the NHS would immediately inform the police and within a matter of hours the police would be around your house to shoot the dog, whether you liked it or not.

A dog that randomly attacks a child has to be put down, its the law. On the other hand I understand things are more lax with regard to the law in the commonwealth, if the dog is dangerous it needs to be put down, NOT given to another family.
Sorry JonnyLaRock, I understand there are always going to be different opinions, but I do believe in second chances (in most circumstances) and if the people at the heart of the incident (i.e my family) want to give the dog a second chance, and someone, fully informed about the incident and thus aware of the risk, is willing to take on the dog, then I think this is always a better option than destroying the dog.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank PerthPair for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 14.01.2011, 10:56
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
the last stats I saw about dog bites, labs where right at the top (ok there are probably a lot more labs around then any other breed but still)

once a biter always a biter, I hope the new family will be keeping it well away from children and muzzle it when its away from the home.
I nearly pulled you up there on your "Stats"..... but yeah, it's important to keep in mind that a Lab is perhaps one of the most popular family dogs.

Therefore, and by the law of large numbers, people will encounter the odd 'bad natured' Lab.

I think therefore, and "Statistically" the Lab is still a fine dog.

It's always a shame when a dog turns for no aparent reason, however in my opinion, there is always a reason, but it's not likely we will ever know the full story.

@Perthpair= I'm truely sorry for your young niece, and I hope that she makes a full recovery.
I'm also glad to see someone take a level headed approach to a situation like this instead of the simple minded 'witch hunt' of just destroying the dog.
Bigblue 2 highlighted (and then defended) the 'once a biter always a biter' mentality, and Melloncollie has pointed out that although rehabilitation is possible I'm afraid there is usually little hope with general public perception of a dog that has 'once bitten'.
I still congratulate your family with their attempts to rehabilitate the dog and rehome it, and wish your family, your niece, and the dog all the best of luck.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:09
natmay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stetten, AG
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 34 Posts
natmay has earned the respect of manynatmay has earned the respect of manynatmay has earned the respect of many
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

As someone who has dedicated their career to animal behavior, let me share something that I have observed. Sometimes, even the most well behaved dogs, respond differently to children. Some respond by being extremely forgiving, while others go to a dramatic change in behavior. It is believed that what triggers a more aggressive response, is that children are very often at eye level to these larger breeds of dogs. Unfortunately, younger children can not assert themselves as dominant members of the family "pack". I realize that your 10 month old niece was not at eye level with the dog, but unfortunately she is a weaker member of the family and could have caused some jealousy or some type of issue with the dog. I'm happy to hear she is doing well and it sounds like the dog is being well taken care of.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank natmay for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:13
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
As someone who has dedicated their career to animal behavior, let me share something that I have observed. Sometimes, even the most well behaved dogs, respond differently to children. Some respond by being extremely forgiving, while others go to a dramatic change in behavior. It is believed that what triggers a more aggressive response, is that children are very often at eye level to these larger breeds of dogs. Unfortunately, younger children can not assert themselves as dominant members of the family "pack". I realize that your 10 month old niece was not at eye level with the dog, but unfortunately she is a weaker member of the family and could have caused some jealousy or some type of issue with the dog. I'm happy to hear she is doing well and it sounds like the dog is being well taken care of.
Yes, I thought there may have been some sort of territorial / jealousy motivation, but what confounds me is that it took 10 months to manifest. However, my niece has only been walking unaided for the last three weeks, so maybe prior to then the dog didn't feel my niece was a threat.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:17
natmay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stetten, AG
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 34 Posts
natmay has earned the respect of manynatmay has earned the respect of manynatmay has earned the respect of many
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Ah let me add one more thing. BillHardie is correct. There is always a reason and unfortunately dog behavior and mannerisms can be so complex that we often miss the minute changes in it's behavior. For most dogs, a bite is it's final resort to putting it's point across, meanwhile it's behavior prior has been exhibiting signs of discomfort. Ignore it's ways of telling you it's not enjoying a situation and a bite can happen. For the most part, people aren't ignoring what a dog is trying to communicate, they simply don't realize it is trying to communicate.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank natmay for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
Sorry JonnyLaRock, I understand there are always going to be different opinions, but I do believe in second chances (in most circumstances) and if the people at the heart of the incident (i.e my family) want to give the dog a second chance, and someone, fully informed about the incident and thus aware of the risk, is willing to take on the dog, then I think this is always a better option than destroying the dog.
How serious was this attack? Did the child require stitches? Was she taken to the hospital?
Again, it is the law in the UK, as soon as a dog randomly and viciously attacks a child the dog is legally required to be destroyed and quite often there is a good case for criminal conviction of the owner/s of assault or attempted murder depending on the severity of the attack.

If it is just a nip and the kid is fine I understand that the law doesn't need to know and the dog is probably better shipped off to an understanding person. But if the attack was serious then it is a civic responsibility and a criminal case to be honest with the emergency services, to prevent other small children from having their lives ruined by a dangerous dog.
In Australia there is also the chance that the dog is rabid, inappropriate action could lead to a rabies out break.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:29
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
In Australia there is also the chance that the dog is rabid, inappropriate action could lead to a rabies out break.
Total HORSE SHIT !!!

Come on mate !!! why do you think people get shots for their dogs ???

The chances of getting bitten by a rabid dog in Australia is so remote it's ridiculous.

Post an example please
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:31
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
Total HORSE SHIT !!!

Come on mate !!! why do you think people get shots for their dogs ???

The chances of getting bitten by a rabid dog in Australia is so remote it's ridiculous.

Post an example please

I knew there was a reason he was on my ignore list
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
Total HORSE SHIT !!!

Come on mate !!! why do you think people get shots for their dogs ???

The chances of getting bitten by a rabid dog in Australia is so remote it's ridiculous.

Post an example please
There is rabies in Australia, look up the CDC web site, it is a remote possibility admittedly, but more of a possibility than in the UK as in the UK there is no rabies. But ok we shall assume the dog has had its shots, how about lock jaw for the kid as a result of the bite do you also not have tetanus in Aus? And I doubt a 10 month old child has had the required 5 shots to render her immune to tetanus.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:40
natmay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stetten, AG
Posts: 47
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 73 Times in 34 Posts
natmay has earned the respect of manynatmay has earned the respect of manynatmay has earned the respect of many
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
However, my niece has only been walking unaided for the last three weeks, so maybe prior to then the dog didn't feel my niece was a threat.
That could have very well been why the dog never cared for 10 months. Up until 3 weeks ago, she pretty much stayed in one place. Now she's a mobile being starting to "take claim" of areas in the home. It's becoming clearer now.

Let me say that I am not defending the dog, but as an animal behaviorist and trainer, I am always looking for the "why". So yes, it can be assumed that I am not the type of person to put a dog down immediately after it has bitten one person. Rather, I try to find answers and work through the problems. If it's impossible, then unfortunately that sad road has to be taken, but I do believe in working through problems. My only exception is when you come across a dog that is so over the edge aggressive there really is no hope and the dog in question here is not that type of dog.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank natmay for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 14.01.2011, 11:43
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 2,992
Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice please re family dog attack

Quote:
View Post
There is rabies in Australia, look up the CDC web site, it is a remote possibility admittedly, but more of a possibility than in the UK as in the UK there is no rabies. But ok we shall assume the dog has had its shots, how about lock jaw for the kid as a result of the bite do you also not have tetanus in Aus? And I doubt a 10 month old child has had the required 5 shots to render her immune to tetanus.

Seriously mate.... don't stir up this thread with crap

The OP is going through a pretty difficult period, is genuinely looking out for constructive advice. The last thing they need is someone who's mouth opperates fater than their brain to write total crap and upset everyone.

Next time take two minutes on Google before you post something like that. It's completely insensitive.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/bluebook/rabies

Quote:
Australia is currently rabies-free. Rabies is a very rare infection of travellers to endemic areas outside of Australia. Only two imported human cases were reported between 1900 and 1995 (1987 and 1990).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi, please need legal advice on family matter Judice Olmos Family matters/health 7 03.06.2010 13:33
Dog food and general dog advice in Luzern delfinita Pet corner 16 02.05.2010 19:26
Advice re inclusion of family in citizenship application arglaris Permits/visas/government 1 25.02.2010 21:28
I need advice on skiing with family... Chippers Travel/day trips/free time 10 18.11.2008 19:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0