Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 16.09.2011, 22:03
Karu's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 35
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Karu has made some interesting contributions
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
UPDATE:

Hello! Here's a little update on the situation above.

It seems there are only 2 chihuahuas left now but it's not getting better. We haven't come around to talk to the owner because it's a bit more complicated now that his girlfriend has left him. He's more reclusive and has been avoiding us for months.

So it seems that each time he leaves the house, he would leave his balcony door open, giving the dogs access to the balcony. I'm a housewife, I'm home most of the time and I can't help but notice that the chihuahuas simply bark at everything that moves. We've cordoned off the gap in between our balconies with a piece of cardboard. That helps. But what really gets to us is the stench that comes from his balcony. It's horrible. Unfortunately, the dogs does their 'business' there and during hot days are the worst, I'm sure you guys can imagine.

Other neighbours are starting to notice the barking also but no one seems to want to confront him. I know we should be the one talking to him but it's just hard because as I've mentioned before, he did take care of our cat when we were away. Not that we will ask him for help again in the future, it's just that we feel confronting him at this point will only make him hate us. Or shouldn't we care?

There are plenty of other things about our next door neighbour that gets to us; like the way he park his car that is obstructing and how disgustingly messy his front door is but it's all trivial. We could look over that. But when we put everything together, we realized that he seem to stop taking care of himself. Giving us the impression that 'maybe' he's depressed.

I'm at my wits end. If anyone can please give us a good solution, we would be really appreciative.

Thanks!
Just do it ŕ la Suisse. Leave an anonymous in the hall of your building complaint letter about "dog" don't name the word chihuahua.

Good luck!

Karina
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Karu for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 16.09.2011, 22:12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 240
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 92 Times in 58 Posts
EarME is considered unworthyEarME is considered unworthyEarME is considered unworthy
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Oh I'd love to do that and a lot of other things to them but I realized that the owner is actually the problem. :P
Freak you are weird
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16.09.2011, 22:19
Ubiquity's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Ubiquity has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Tell them their little chihuahuas have small dog syndrome and that it isn't cute. But let's talk about some of the words used.

Frisky: They have energy
Bark incessantly: not possible. please clarify the time of day and duration of all barking
Sneak onto balcony: How are they "sneaking"? Is there a divider? Are they climbing up, over, under, around?
Terrorize your ragdoll: I'm assuming it's the cat. How are they terrorizing it?
Pee everywhere: Where is exactly "everywhere?" does it include your balcony? in the hallway? in the elevator? in the lobby? in the washroom?
hump your leg: That's because they have small dog syndrome and want to be your daddy and/or mummy.
knee-biter: they aren't that tall. How did it bite your knee? were you on the ground playing with it?

So what is Small Dog Syndrome? Basically, it occurs because small dogs get away with behaviors that they would not otherwise be allowed to get away with if they were bigger... like jumping up to say hello, for example.

But before you address it with your neighbor, make sure you are specific about the problems, and not just being accusatory.

edit: sorry I just realized the original post was from February... I blame the new medication....
Hi KeinFranzösisch!

frisky: Yes, they have lots of energy.

bark incessantly: As soon as the owner leaves the house for work (10am), the chis are out on the balcony and that's when they start barking, all the way until he gets home (8pm or later). We live on the 2nd floor and there are also gaps along the bottom of the balcony parapet. Each time anyone passes by downstairs they bark, they LITERALLY bark at anything that moves. That being said, they also bark at the slightest sound coming from my balcony. I believe I do have a right to come out on my balcony without being barked at, no? I didn't even show myself, somehow they just know that I'm out there. The slightest noise that I make; like lighting a cigarette or moving a chair, simply tick them off.

sneak onto balcony: they come to my balcony through the gap (which I've cordoned off since my first post).

terrorizing my ragdoll: Yes, terrorizing my harmless pet cat by chasing her away from our balcony. Happened twice. That's why I block the gap in between our balcony. My ragdoll never ventured into the neighbour's balcony.

pee everywhere: In my balcony; on the floor to be exact. Twice. They also pee on their balcony but I don't really care except for the stench that has been lingering around for months.

hump my leg: Seriously, I don't really mind that. It's cute but it's kinda rude too, don't you think so? Especially if the owner don't try to stop it. I was like standing there feeling awkward while the dog humped my leg and the owner laughing at it.

knee-biter: I was carrying down my loaded laundry basket down the stairs when I bumped into him and the dogs along the way. I was on the bottom steps and they were higher, about knee level. I was talking to the owner when one of the chis just bit me on my knee.

PS: I love dogs, in fact I don't even mind chihuahuas in general but those dogs next door, they're not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16.09.2011, 22:29
Ubiquity's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Ubiquity has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Ok, you all need to back off on the Chihuahua bashing! I used to breed Chihuahuas and if they are raised right they are NOT yappy. I only have one slightly yappy chihuahua and she doesn't yap at everything. She barks at a few things like any other dog.

Your neighbor has a problem and you need to talk to him about it. There is no other solution. Be nice & reasonable & try to be caring because if as you say his girlfriend just left him he might be a bit depressed.

Also, you might want to get out some treats (cut in TINY pieces) and try to make friends with them. They obviously haven't been socialized properly. I know it's alot of work on your part. But if he's not going to take responsibility you might have to take the bull by the horns.

My little one that is on my user page* died in April & I'm still broken hearted. She was a fantastic little dog who went with me everywhere. :'(


*it seems I took her picture down.
Hi miniMia!

Yes my neighbour has a problem. A huge one. The dogs. I think he just need to spend more time with them. About 3 months ago when the problem got out of hand, I went over with freshly baked cookies thinking of solving it once and for all. This guy, he is known to talk nonstop. From what could've been a 10 minutes talk ended up an hour and we resolved nothing. I even offered to take the dogs out for a walk! But he never came over with his keys, so I assumed that he didn't trust me enough with them. I believe I did my part.

Because of the owner's irresponsibilities, sad to say I am inclining towards not being a huge fan of chihuahuas.

I'm sorry about your little dog. I know how it hurts to lose a pet.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 16.09.2011, 22:30
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 240
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 92 Times in 58 Posts
EarME is considered unworthyEarME is considered unworthyEarME is considered unworthy
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Ok, you all need to back off on the Chihuahua bashing! I used to breed Chihuahuas and if they are raised right they are NOT yappy. I only have one slightly yappy chihuahua and she doesn't yap at everything. She barks at a few things like any other dog.

Your neighbor has a problem and you need to talk to him about it. There is no other solution. Be nice & reasonable & try to be caring because if as you say his girlfriend just left him he might be a bit depressed.

Also, you might want to get out some treats (cut in TINY pieces) and try to make friends with them. They obviously haven't been socialized properly. I know it's alot of work on your part. But if he's not going to take responsibility you might have to take the bull by the horns.

My little one that is on my user page* died in April & I'm still broken hearted. She was a fantastic little dog who went with me everywhere. :'(


*it seems I took her picture down.
Ahh very nice to get my first groan.....
But
Please take this as my view only. I do not intend to upset. Please ignore, if you are hurt by my view or do not read further.
They are vermin, and a man made abonimation. No better then dolly the sheep. If we did this to humans there would be outcry. They have no brains and no purpose.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at EarME for this post:
  #26  
Old 16.09.2011, 22:35
Ubiquity's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Ubiquity has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Freak you are weird
No, I'm not weird. Put yourself in my situation, I'm sure you would think of a million of ways to get rid of them. Yes, I would've love to smack them with my slippers, probably even spray them with water but I didn't. I am close to hating all the chihuahuas on earth but I don't. The problem lies with the owner.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16.09.2011, 23:05
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Ahh very nice to get my first groan.....
But
Please take this as my view only. I do not intend to upset. Please ignore, if you are hurt by my view or do not read further.
They are vermin, and a man made abonimation. No better then dolly the sheep. If we did this to humans there would be outcry. They have no brains and no purpose.
I'm not hurt. I just think you're being rude. If you don't like them that's fine. No one will force you . But when I don't like something other like I don't think it's appropriate to rag on it with such vitriol. And it's especially crass when you are talking about living animals who are someones beloved pets. But continue.

I think you're the one acting brainless as you know nothing about them. They are not anymore brainless than any other dog.


Quote:
View Post
Hi miniMia!

Yes my neighbour has a problem. A huge one. The dogs. I think he just need to spend more time with them. About 3 months ago when the problem got out of hand, I went over with freshly baked cookies thinking of solving it once and for all. This guy, he is known to talk nonstop. From what could've been a 10 minutes talk ended up an hour and we resolved nothing. I even offered to take the dogs out for a walk! But he never came over with his keys, so I assumed that he didn't trust me enough with them. I believe I did my part.

Because of the owner's irresponsibilities, sad to say I am inclining towards not being a huge fan of chihuahuas.

I'm sorry about your little dog. I know how it hurts to lose a pet.
Well, if it's gotten to that point, you probably need to get the regie involved. If he can't take care of the dogs maybe they need to go to live with the girlfriend. Or if he really loves them maybe it will be wake up call he needs. They could get taken away from him.

Good luck!
__________________
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
This user groans at miniMia for this post:
  #28  
Old 16.09.2011, 23:48
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,376
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,706 Times in 3,748 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Ahh very nice to get my first groan.....
But
Please take this as my view only. I do not intend to upset. Please ignore, if you are hurt by my view or do not read further.
They are vermin, and a man made abonimation. No better then dolly the sheep. If we did this to humans there would be outcry. They have no brains and no purpose.
Could not have put it better.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 17.09.2011, 00:00
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 240
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 92 Times in 58 Posts
EarME is considered unworthyEarME is considered unworthyEarME is considered unworthy
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
I'm not hurt. I just think you're being rude. If you don't like them that's fine. No one will force you . But when I don't like something other like I don't think it's appropriate to rag on it with such vitriol. And it's especially crass when you are talking about living animals who are someones beloved pets. But continue.

I think you're the one acting brainless as you know nothing about them. They are not anymore brainless than any other dog.




Well, if it's gotten to that point, you probably need to get the regie involved. If he can't take care of the dogs maybe they need to go to live with the girlfriend. Or if he really loves them maybe it will be wake up call he needs. They could get taken away from him.

Good luck!
I somehow appreciate your love of of a rat...but maybe your missing something in life. Always thought that about Paris Hilton who would prefer to lick her dogs a . So weird.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17.09.2011, 00:47
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
I somehow appreciate your love of of a rat...but maybe your missing something in life. Always thought that about Paris Hilton who would prefer to lick her dogs a . So weird.
Well, I'm sorry you don't like them. They are lovely little creatures. Weird is to think that because someone has a small dog they must be missing something in their lives. And even weirder is to care what Paris Hilton does. We will just have to agree to disagree. I would hope you might be a bit more thoughtful in your comments. Hope springs eternal as they say!



Anyway, back to the OP, I really hope you work it out with your neighbor, for you sanity & that of the dogs. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 17.09.2011, 01:12
Ubiquity's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Ubiquity has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Well, if it's gotten to that point, you probably need to get the regie involved.
Regie? Is it like the Swiss SPCA?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17.09.2011, 01:19
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Regie? Is it like the Swiss SPCA?
Regie is the management company in french. I don't know what it's called in German. I guess I should have said the apt managing company! lol.

Maybe don't get the SPCA involved just yet.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.09.2011, 10:28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St Elsewhere
Posts: 332
Groaned at 15 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 320 Times in 151 Posts
Brass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of many
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
View Post
Hi, my next door neighbour has 3 chihuahua in their apartment. However, their dogs are frisky. They bark incessantly (morning, noon and night) and love to sneak into our balcony.

Honestly I don't mind them in my balcony IF they mind their own business. But they still bark, they terrorize my ragdoll, they pee everywhere and try to hump my leg when I'm outside. Once one of the critter even bit me on my left knee!

You see, my neighbour they are a very nice couple and we can always count on them to look after our cat when we are away. So I don't really know how to tell them. What should I do?
My SIL once used one of those high frequency apps every time her dog went ape-sh*t and it learned to temper its barking quickly.

Have you tried the dog deterrent liquids? They stink a bit, but might actually be an improvement on your present situation, but they work. If that doesn't help, pee on his balcony.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Brass427 for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 17.09.2011, 10:57
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Ubiquity, those dogs have definitely got some small dog syndrome going on. They've got some separation anxiety issues as well. peeing on the balcony is a huge no-no and I believe it is probably in their rental contract that this isn't allowed. Definitely a lot there that needs to be addressed, and the owner needs to get some serious consultations underway to address the fact that he hasn't properly trained the dogs to behave appropriately. Clearly he is not the alpha.

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17.09.2011, 11:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I have no useful advice to offer, just this:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/76e...a-playing-pool


Not yappy, and pretty smart. There are advantages to having a smaller dog, I just never thought this was one.

Sorry, doesn't help the OP, hope you find a solution. I feel badly for the dogs... They aren't trained, and are probably ignored.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 17.09.2011, 14:28
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with neighbour's THREE chihuahuas

Quote:
I have no useful advice to offer, just this:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/76e...a-playing-pool


Not yappy, and pretty smart. There are advantages to having a smaller dog, I just never thought this was one.

Sorry, doesn't help the OP, hope you find a solution. I feel badly for the dogs... They aren't trained, and are probably ignored.
That's really cute... great game for the dog too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chihuahua




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting FREE internet access - using a neighbour's connection Uncle Max TV/internet/telephone 134 25.10.2010 17:29
Breeding chihuahuas loisvt Pet corner 19 13.10.2010 21:25
Looking for a dogsitter/walker for every work day for 2 lovely chihuahuas slymilou Pet corner 3 22.04.2010 23:10
What about neighbour's manners? Nil Complaints corner 60 13.04.2010 19:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0