English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Pet corner (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/)
-   -   Cat's fragile stomach (https://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/109709-cat-s-fragile-stomach.html)

Nil 25.03.2011 09:18

Cat's fragile stomach
 
Hello,

I am looking for some advise here. My old cat (14 years old) always had a fragile stomach, mostly because she tend to eat to fast.

But lately she has been vomitting a lot, at least a 2-3 times per day. Not much, mostly food she just hate and water she just drank. The vet didn't see anything wrong and I am puzzled. She is since a year on wet food mostly because of that problem and because she doesn't have much teeth left...

Vets don't see anything wrong. She doesn't lose weight and still have an horse appetite. It bother me more than it bother her, really.

But maybe some of you have this issue with their cat, maybe it is an old cat thing...

Any advice will be welcome.... And seeking the vet advices has been done many times already and will be done again (I just don't have much hope to get more info from them.)


Nil

mirfield 25.03.2011 09:23

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
http://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corne...adopt-cat.html

TiMow 25.03.2011 09:25

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Euthanasia is legal in Switzerland.

Nil 25.03.2011 09:33

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Better to keep quiet if you can't bring nice help, that goes for both of you! :mad:

absami 25.03.2011 09:36

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
i think that s because he's getting old,and he think he can eat like a young cat...if the vet says that he s ok,try not to worry to much...i know,it s easy to give an advise when it s not your animal...
i hope that he will be better soon:)

TiMow 25.03.2011 09:39

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Sorry Nil - maybe a bit insensitively put, but at 14 yrs. old (the cat, not me), I think this way well turn out to be a problem that may not have a solution.

Unfortunately, at such an age, things do start to fail and often the kindest thing is to ease the suffering - words, I, too remember hearing from the vet under similar circumstances.

Kittster 25.03.2011 09:40

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
My dad had this problem with the neighbour's cat (cat now lives with my dad), he used to puke too because he ate too fast so my dad only gives him small portions at a time, literally a spoon full, waits for the cat to finish, pause, next spoon full. It's tedious but kitty hasn't thrown up since.

And Timow, two of my father's previous cats died at the grand old age of 22, 14 is not particularly old for a cat.

Nil 25.03.2011 09:41

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
A cat can easily reach the golden age of 18-20 years old.

You could have put it differently, but that was totally unsensitive and it did crushed me.

Please stay out of this thread. Thank you.

Traubert 25.03.2011 09:43

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiMow (Post 1147537)
Sorry Nil - maybe a bit insensitively put, but at 14 yrs. old (the cat, not me), I think this way well turn out to be a problem that may not have a solution.

Unfortunately, at such an age, things do start to fail and often the kindest thing is to ease the suffering - words, I, too remember hearing from the vet under similar circumstances.

14 is not that old for a cat. I've had cats that went well beyond that. Also, just because a cat is throwing up does not mean it is suffering and that it should be taken to the vet and put down.

ullainga 25.03.2011 09:45

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
What does she eat? Maybe it would help if you only fed her dry food and found one with bigger pieces, so she would have to chew longer and could not just inhale the food? One of cats is very greedy and was getting really fat on soft food - but she can't eat the dry one as quickly.

Traubert 25.03.2011 09:46

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Nil, I have a cat who is a little sensitive, he projectile vomits from the top of his tree quite often, mostly to watch me clean it up though, I think.

My cats are very active though, I think running up and down doesn't help.

Try feeding her smaller amounts more regularly and see if she can keep that down. You say she has a healthy appetite, maybe she is eating too much.

Traubert 25.03.2011 09:48

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ullainga (Post 1147548)
What does she eat? Maybe it would help if you only fed her dry food and found one with bigger pieces, so she would have to chew longer and could not just inhale the food? One of cats is very greedy and was getting really fat on soft food - but she can't eat the dry one as quickly.

Nils cat has a lack of teeth. :)

Cats without teeth can still eat crunchles, Nil. Try feeding her a little dry food. Change the food as well, my cats object from time to time and I have to change brands.

25.03.2011 09:49

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
You can buy food for sensitive stomachs from Royal Canin, found in pet shops. Perhaps also just give the cat a few pieces, and then when finished, wait a bit and give a few more.

Belgianmum 25.03.2011 09:50

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Do you think she might have furballs? Our cat is moulting like mad at the moment and if she cleans herself a lot she probably swallows a lot of fur.

Furballs do make cats vomit as it is nature's way of getting rid of them. The vomiting does seem to be a recent thing so perhaps that's the problem.

Hope she's better soon. 14 really isn't old for a cat. We had one who lived to 22.

Keith66 25.03.2011 09:53

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
My old cat used to do the same when she got to about 15 and they both sound similar as she also gulped her food down and then start on the dog's food. However, when I used to buy sliced turkey for her she didn't vomit!

Nil 25.03.2011 09:54

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ullainga (Post 1147548)
What does she eat? Maybe it would help if you only fed her dry food and found one with bigger pieces, so she would have to chew longer and could not just inhale the food? One of cats is very greedy and was getting really fat on soft food - but she can't eat the dry one as quickly.

I used to do that but she got many of her teeth took out last summer. She has mostly only the front ones. Even her dry food I mix it with some water to soften it a bit. The wet food was recommended by the vet and frankly she prefers that. She is not that bad with it. She eats a bit, goes and comes back later for more.

I keep her under control, She gets food 3 times per day at specific time and she can vomit straight after eating, while eating or many hours later... :confused: She got checked for any abnormality and even for cancer but all was fine. They didn't see any problem.

She is not very active, never been really. She is the garfield kind of cat happily taking sun bath during the day by the window. She has a good size and keep her weight stable. She has a great fur too.

If at least she wasn't doing it on the only carpet of the house.... :msnsarcastic:

Nil 25.03.2011 09:56

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 1147552)
You can buy food for sensitive stomachs from Royal Canin, found in pet shops. Perhaps also just give the cat a few pieces, and then when finished, wait a bit and give a few more.

She has been on Royal canin her whole life! :) I believe very hard on those food to keep our pets away from the vet!

Mud 25.03.2011 09:58

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
A good friend of mine here had a cat that made it to 20. The last 4 years or so he had to cook it chicken breast which he chopped up into little bits. This was by no means some posh and pampered cat, it was just the only food that she could manage without issue.

Might be worth a try. Only thing is cats can get really snotty about food and you might have a hard time getting her to eat anything else after!

Nil 25.03.2011 10:01

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgianmum (Post 1147556)
Do you think she might have furballs? Our cat is moulting like mad at the moment and if she cleans herself a lot she probably swallows a lot of fur.

Furballs do make cats vomit as it is nature's way of getting rid of them. The vomiting does seem to be a recent thing so perhaps that's the problem.

Hope she's better soon. 14 really isn't old for a cat. We had one who lived to 22.

It could be.... I didn't see any in what is coming out. I normally shave her so maybe it got worst because I didn't do it since last summer. I can't do it right now and can't find many places here who can do it. (and those who do it, do a bad job for the small amount of 100 chf).

25.03.2011 10:04

Re: Cat's fragile stomach
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 1147565)
She has been on Royal canin her whole life! :) I believe very hard on those food to keep our pets away from the vet!

Yes but Royal Canin does a special type for cats with sensitive digestion- http://www.qualipet.ch/shop/royal-ca...nsible-33.html


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:54.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0