Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.07.2011, 15:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
el7777 has earned some respectel7777 has earned some respect
Eukanuba cat food

I'll be getting a kitten soon and have been trying to analyze some cat foods for nutritional value to see which one I'd like to get when the kitten is here. I've looked at lots of kitten foods on zooplus.de and really liked the sound of Eukanuba kitten food because it was basically >45% chicken and chicken livers. However, today I went on the site again and noticed that the composition of the food has changed completely. I asked the shop and got a reply that Eukanuba has made "improvements" in the formula. The price, which is rather high, hasn't changed. Here you can see for yourself (sorry for German).

old formula:
Huhn (> 40%), Hühnerleber (> 15%), Reismehl, Fischmehl, Maisgrieß, Hühnerfett, Trockenvollei, getrocknete Zuckerrübenschnitzel, Hühnerproteinhydrolysat, Bierhefe, Kaliumchlorid, Natriumchlorid, DL-Methionin.

new formula:
Getrocknetes Huhn und Pute (20%, eine natürliche Taurinquelle), Hühnerinnereien, Hühnerleber (9%), Reis, Maisgrieß, Fischmehl, tierisches Fett, Trockenvollei, getrocknete Zuckerrübenschnitzel (2,2%), Hühnerproteinhydrolysat, Bierhefe, Kaliumchlorid.

Now I'm not a nutritional expert, but I seriously doubt how going from 45% chicken and chicken liver to 20% dried chicken+turkey and 9% chicken liver can be called an improvement. Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2011, 15:54
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,101
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 428 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
I went through this stage awhile back with both my dog and cats. Visit www.dogfoodanalysis.com and do some research on Eukanuba food.

I managed to find a company in Switzerland that sells Orijen (a 6 star food) for both cats and dogs, so I buy that. My dog has been on it for years now and the cats love it. I buy it from www.editrust.ch and have no complaints about them - they ship quickly and always have stock. I also buy my wet catfood from them, it's called Greenfish.

In any case, if you don't buy food from Editrust, check out the dog food site and their reviews regarding 1 star to 6 star brands.
__________________
"What we have is no where as useful as the wheel. We keep reinventing the piece of rock that is still square"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.07.2011, 16:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
el7777 has earned some respectel7777 has earned some respect
Re: Eukanuba cat food

I had a look at Orijen cat food as well, but they don't have a kitten formula, at least not on the zooplus site... I heard of the dog food analysis site, but figured that cat food has to fulfill different nutritional criteria, and unfortunately I haven't been able to find a comparable cat food site. I have to say that most of the reviews I've seen about Eukanuba were positive, but now I'm totally shocked at how a company that markets itself as a superior quality brand can just replace half its formula with junk and not say anything about it or change the price!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.07.2011, 16:15
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,295
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Eukanuba cat food

A general observation:

-10 years ago, when we got our dog (then puppy), we asked the breeder which was the best food. She told us she gave all her dogs Eukanuba - so we continued (as Cocker's have long dangly ears, "wet" food is unsuitable).

As mentioned above it is one of the most expensive, and always involved a journey to specialist pet shops to buy, as it seemed never to be available in supermarkets.

After a few years I found, in my local Landi, that they had introduced their own quality brand of pet foods - "Bitsdog/Bitscat Premium" (several levels higher than their "normal Bitsdog/Bitscat range).

It appeared very similar to Eukanuba, with comparable ingredients (vitamins, nutrients, etc.).

I bought some - at considerably reduced price compared with Eukanuba - and doggy-boy approved and has been eating ever since - staying healthy and saving me money (the price has actually come down over the last few years).

Here is an on-line link to an in-store brochure (the pink page seems to be for kittens - click on the page to magnify. The last page gives nutritional info.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.07.2011, 17:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
el7777 has earned some respectel7777 has earned some respect
Re: Eukanuba cat food

Quote:
View Post
A general observation:

-10 years ago, when we got our dog (then puppy), we asked the breeder which was the best food. She told us she gave all her dogs Eukanuba - so we continued (as Cocker's have long dangly ears, "wet" food is unsuitable).

As mentioned above it is one of the most expensive, and always involved a journey to specialist pet shops to buy, as it seemed never to be available in supermarkets.

After a few years I found, in my local Landi, that they had introduced their own quality brand of pet foods - "Bitsdog/Bitscat Premium" (several levels higher than their "normal Bitsdog/Bitscat range).

It appeared very similar to Eukanuba, with comparable ingredients (vitamins, nutrients, etc.).

I bought some - at considerably reduced price compared with Eukanuba - and doggy-boy approved and has been eating ever since - staying healthy and saving me money (the price has actually come down over the last few years).

Here is an on-line link to an in-store brochure (the pink page seems to be for kittens - click on the page to magnify. The last page gives nutritional info.)
Thanks, I'll check out the Landi food.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.07.2011, 18:02
JanerMacP's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Turgi, AG
Posts: 1,101
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 428 Posts
JanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputationJanerMacP has an excellent reputation
Quote:
View Post
I had a look at Orijen cat food as well, but they don't have a kitten formula, at least not on the zooplus site... I heard of the dog food analysis site, but figured that cat food has to fulfill different nutritional criteria, and unfortunately I haven't been able to find a comparable cat food site. I have to say that most of the reviews I've seen about Eukanuba were positive, but now I'm totally shocked at how a company that markets itself as a superior quality brand can just replace half its formula with junk and not say anything about it or change the price!
I started using Zooplus but my shipments were being held at the border and I was double charged 4 times.

I know the dogfood website isn't a direct comparison, buy if a brand produces a one star dog food, chances are pretty slim it will produce a high quality cat food.

Regarding changing the formula, Iams did this quite a few years ago, so it seems to be familiar territory within the industry.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.07.2011, 18:49
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Eukanuba cat food

Quote:
View Post
new formula:
Getrocknetes Huhn und Pute (20%, eine natürliche Taurinquelle), Hühnerinnereien, Hühnerleber (9%), Reis, Maisgrieß, Fischmehl, tierisches Fett, Trockenvollei, getrocknete Zuckerrübenschnitzel (2,2%), Hühnerproteinhydrolysat, Bierhefe, Kaliumchlorid.
seriously....?!?!


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.07.2011, 19:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
el7777 has earned some respectel7777 has earned some respect
Re: Eukanuba cat food

Quote:
View Post
I started using Zooplus but my shipments were being held at the border and I was double charged 4 times.

I know the dogfood website isn't a direct comparison, buy if a brand produces a one star dog food, chances are pretty slim it will produce a high quality cat food.

Regarding changing the formula, Iams did this quite a few years ago, so it seems to be familiar territory within the industry.
Oh that's a shame, I was planning on using Zooplus regularly as everything is just so much cheaper there than in Switzerland and delivery is free..
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat food for cat kidney problems smashe Pet corner 14 02.06.2011 21:11
Cat not adjusting to Swiss cat food 33foxglove Pet corner 23 29.10.2010 18:14
cat refuses food Guest Pet corner 36 10.07.2010 12:28
cat food? which is best to buy? staceyswiss Pet corner 85 18.01.2010 12:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0