Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.06.2012, 23:41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wolfybaby has no particular reputation at present
moving to switzerland with a dog

what are the rules and laws of moving into the country with a dog? i heard about mandatory dog classes. is this only for puppies or first-time-owners? what about people moving into the country with a dog theyve had for years?

in the united states, its recommended that you get the pet licensed but its not really enforced. rabies vaccine is absolutely required, but all the other vaccines are not required, just recommended. but it you want to board the dog, some places will require that they have certain ones.

what about in switzerland? is the rabies vaccine required? other shots? microchip? license? help me out please! :]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.06.2012, 00:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,774
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,790 Times in 6,988 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

As you probably know (or will soon find out, if you have just started researching) Switzerland is a land of rules and regulations. Private life is regulated here to a degree that is unimaginable to most Americans - dog ownership is no exception.

There have been many threads covering your questions, do a bit of browsing through the Pets section for some interesting reading. But just to get you started:

The BVet explains import regulations:
http://bvet.bytix.com/plus/dbr/default.aspx?lang=de

Be aware that docking and cropping is forbidden in Switzerland, and docked and cropped dogs may not be imported. An exception exists for long time family pets who move at the same time as the family. De-barking is banned too, btw.

Be aware that about half the cantons have enforced BSL, either banning or restricting anywhere from 4 to 13 breeds. An overview of the various cantonal rules - in German - can be found here:
http://www.tierimrecht.org/de/tiersc...iz/hunde-recht

You must have your dog vaccinated against rabies according to the manufacturer's schedule (3 years is most common) to import the dog, and valid vacs are required to cross borders. Once in Switzerland there is no requirement to vaccinate as long as you stay in only Switzerland - but it is strongly recommended. KC is a continual problem here; there was an outbreak of Lepto earlier in the year, and parvo crops up from time to time. Most kennels, dog schools, activity clubs, and competitions will require current vaccination. If you plan on doing any travel across borders you must have vacs up to date in order to do so. Given how small Switzerland is, it's hard not to cross borders.

Yes, dog classes are mandatory - this is called the SKN or Sachkundenachweis. There are two classes - the theory class is required of all first time owners, and the practical course of all dog owners, with each and every dog, so you will be required to take the practical course. As you already have a dog you are probably excused from the theory course, but it is strongly recommended that you take it, as dog ownership in Switzerland is nothing at all like in the US. The theory course will help you understand the law and your responsibilities, and most importantly what Swiss society expects of you. The SKN practical is only a very basic course - it is strongly recommended that you continue taking classes beyond that.

Microchipping is mandatory, as is registration in the national database. This needs to be done within 10 days of arrival or acquisition of the dog. Only a vet can register your dog, so one needs to find a vet soon upon arrival.

One must also register one's dogs with the local Gemeinde - you do this when you register the family. There is an annual dog tax; the amount varies by canton/Gemeinde, but is usually in the CHF 150 per dog range. Some cantons impost a progressive tax for each additional dog in the family.

Most cantons require dog owners to carry liability insurance, usually in the 1-3 million range. Even if not required it is recommended, as damages can be very expensive.

Along the lines of rules and regulations and expectations... be aware that there is a growing anti-dog feeling in Switzerland. The onus is on the dog owner to be in control of one's dog at all times, to be respectful of others.

To understand what Swiss society expects of dog owners, read the BVet's "Hunde Richtig Halten':
http://www.bvet.admin.ch/tsp/02222/index.html?lang=de

Dog owners may have trouble finding housing, especially in this over-heated market. There are so many people chasing the few available properties that a dog owner has to be willing to compromise in order to find appropriate housing -perhaps living in less convenient areas, living in less desirable housing, paying over the odds.

We live in tiny spaces here in overcrowded Switzerland - which can make relations with neighbors difficult for dog owners. The most important thing to understand is that noise is not tolerated, and barking is considered the worst of all noises. Many landlords add a clause that a dog may not be left alone in the flat because of this.

---

Even with all the regulation, Switzerland by and large remains fairly dog friendly, provided your dog is well trained, well socialized - and that you the owner obey the rules and respect others at all times.


Good luck with your move.

(What brings you to Switzerland, by the way?)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.06.2012, 07:13
caninsui's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 273
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 259 Times in 106 Posts
caninsui has earned the respect of manycaninsui has earned the respect of manycaninsui has earned the respect of many
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
Yes, dog classes are mandatory - this is called the SKN or Sachkundenachweis. There are two classes - the theory class is required of all first time owners, and the practical course of all dog owners, with each and every dog, so you will be required to take the practical course. As you already have a dog you are probably excused from the theory course, but it is strongly recommended that you take it, as dog ownership in Switzerland is nothing at all like in the US.
If you are bringing the dog in with you, you don't have to take the classes but as meloncollie says, it is still a good idea to do so in order to know what the deal really is here, but it won't be enforced so you don't need to have it on your list to do the second you land.

It is amazing how dog friendly they are here (never would have imagined seeing dogs walking around a Macy's like they do in all the stores here!), but as mentioned it is a land of rules and people LOVE to complain about dogs if they don't have them! We got yelled at once because we let our dog pee into a bush on the sidewalk where their kids walk by...! The one thing we miss from North America is the closed in dog park. We have a rescue dog that was never trained and is a breed that does not learn well after a year or two so she completely turns off the ears when the leash comes off. So she has to stay on the leash all the time which is sad as she can't run around like she would like to and it means lots more walking for us...thankfully the views are amazing so it makes the walks a lot more fun than just walking around the square blocks we used to back home

good luck with the move! and make sure you download the paperwork that the Swiss need to have your vet back home fill out - customs will ask for it...and there is usually different forms for the airline as well if you are just bringing your dog as baggage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank caninsui for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 26.06.2012, 08:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wolfybaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

thank you so much for the detailed response! exactly what i was looking for!

now, a few more questions.. since the dog classes are mandatory.. do the dogs have to be vaccinated to take them? or is it just a people class, no dogs?
also, is there an exemption for the microchipping? it goes immensely against my beliefs.

my dog is super social to both people and other dogs.. even cats. he doesnt bark unless someone is at the door. very well mannered for being less than 2 years old!


are other nearby countries similar, or do some places have more lax regulations? and space.. id like to move out into the country scene. just not in america, lol.

Quote:
View Post
As you probably know (or will soon find out, if you have just started researching) Switzerland is a land of rules and regulations. Private life is regulated here to a degree that is unimaginable to most Americans - dog ownership is no exception.

There have been many threads covering your questions, do a bit of browsing through the Pets section for some interesting reading. But just to get you started:

The BVet explains import regulations:
http://bvet.bytix.com/plus/dbr/default.aspx?lang=de

Be aware that docking and cropping is forbidden in Switzerland, and docked and cropped dogs may not be imported. An exception exists for long time family pets who move at the same time as the family. De-barking is banned too, btw.

Be aware that about half the cantons have enforced BSL, either banning or restricting anywhere from 4 to 13 breeds. An overview of the various cantonal rules - in German - can be found here:
http://www.tierimrecht.org/de/tiersc...iz/hunde-recht

You must have your dog vaccinated against rabies according to the manufacturer's schedule (3 years is most common) to import the dog, and valid vacs are required to cross borders. Once in Switzerland there is no requirement to vaccinate as long as you stay in only Switzerland - but it is strongly recommended. KC is a continual problem here; there was an outbreak of Lepto earlier in the year, and parvo crops up from time to time. Most kennels, dog schools, activity clubs, and competitions will require current vaccination. If you plan on doing any travel across borders you must have vacs up to date in order to do so. Given how small Switzerland is, it's hard not to cross borders.

Yes, dog classes are mandatory - this is called the SKN or Sachkundenachweis. There are two classes - the theory class is required of all first time owners, and the practical course of all dog owners, with each and every dog, so you will be required to take the practical course. As you already have a dog you are probably excused from the theory course, but it is strongly recommended that you take it, as dog ownership in Switzerland is nothing at all like in the US. The theory course will help you understand the law and your responsibilities, and most importantly what Swiss society expects of you. The SKN practical is only a very basic course - it is strongly recommended that you continue taking classes beyond that.

Microchipping is mandatory, as is registration in the national database. This needs to be done within 10 days of arrival or acquisition of the dog. Only a vet can register your dog, so one needs to find a vet soon upon arrival.

One must also register one's dogs with the local Gemeinde - you do this when you register the family. There is an annual dog tax; the amount varies by canton/Gemeinde, but is usually in the CHF 150 per dog range. Some cantons impost a progressive tax for each additional dog in the family.

Most cantons require dog owners to carry liability insurance, usually in the 1-3 million range. Even if not required it is recommended, as damages can be very expensive.

Along the lines of rules and regulations and expectations... be aware that there is a growing anti-dog feeling in Switzerland. The onus is on the dog owner to be in control of one's dog at all times, to be respectful of others.

To understand what Swiss society expects of dog owners, read the BVet's "Hunde Richtig Halten':
http://www.bvet.admin.ch/tsp/02222/index.html?lang=de

Dog owners may have trouble finding housing, especially in this over-heated market. There are so many people chasing the few available properties that a dog owner has to be willing to compromise in order to find appropriate housing -perhaps living in less convenient areas, living in less desirable housing, paying over the odds.

We live in tiny spaces here in overcrowded Switzerland - which can make relations with neighbors difficult for dog owners. The most important thing to understand is that noise is not tolerated, and barking is considered the worst of all noises. Many landlords add a clause that a dog may not be left alone in the flat because of this.

---

Even with all the regulation, Switzerland by and large remains fairly dog friendly, provided your dog is well trained, well socialized - and that you the owner obey the rules and respect others at all times.


Good luck with your move.

(What brings you to Switzerland, by the way?)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.06.2012, 09:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wolfybaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

thats so nice to hear that people are dog friendly! it seems like no one is around here. my dog is such a lover, but people just seem so put off by him. he doesnt stink, hes not muddy, and he has very clean breath.. i dont get it!

Quote:
View Post
If you are bringing the dog in with you, you don't have to take the classes but as meloncollie says, it is still a good idea to do so in order to know what the deal really is here, but it won't be enforced so you don't need to have it on your list to do the second you land.

It is amazing how dog friendly they are here (never would have imagined seeing dogs walking around a Macy's like they do in all the stores here!), but as mentioned it is a land of rules and people LOVE to complain about dogs if they don't have them! We got yelled at once because we let our dog pee into a bush on the sidewalk where their kids walk by...! The one thing we miss from North America is the closed in dog park. We have a rescue dog that was never trained and is a breed that does not learn well after a year or two so she completely turns off the ears when the leash comes off. So she has to stay on the leash all the time which is sad as she can't run around like she would like to and it means lots more walking for us...thankfully the views are amazing so it makes the walks a lot more fun than just walking around the square blocks we used to back home

good luck with the move! and make sure you download the paperwork that the Swiss need to have your vet back home fill out - customs will ask for it...and there is usually different forms for the airline as well if you are just bringing your dog as baggage.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.06.2012, 09:17
ullainga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: around Basel
Posts: 1,583
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,189 Times in 911 Posts
ullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond reputeullainga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
are other nearby countries similar, or do some places have more lax regulations? and space.. id like to move out into the country scene. just not in america, lol.
France does not require that you take classes. You still have to microship or tattoo the dog though and microships are also required if you want to travel with your dog, so unlikely that you would be able to skip this. Why is it against your beliefs?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.06.2012, 10:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,774
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,790 Times in 6,988 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
If you are bringing the dog in with you, you don't have to take the classes but as meloncollie says, it is still a good idea to do so in order to know what the deal really is here, but it won't be enforced so you don't need to have it on your list to do the second you land.
Caninsui, be careful with this advice - the classes are rigorously enforced in many Gemeinden. Yes, some Gemeinden are pretty half-hearted in enforcement - but if this is a sticking point for the OP than perhaps Switzerland is NOT the place for him/her.

The law says that every owner of a dog acquired after 1 Sept. 2008 (when the TSchV came into force) must take the practical SKN classes. So as the OP's dog is less than 2 years old, he is indeed requried to take the practical course.

To give you an idea - where I live enforcement is strict. One needs to give a copy of the course certificate to the Gemeinde, and they will chase you up for it. As they will for copies of the insurance policy, and of course the microchip registration. And if the Gemeinde doesn't find (and fine!) you, your neighbors will eagerly denounce you. (To the OP - look up courage civile.)

As with everything in Switzerland, YMMV.

There is NO EXCEPTION for microchipping and registration in the national database. This is a federal law. Your vet is a mandatory reporter and would be required to report you to the authorities if your dog is not chipped. Most documentation is linked to your dog's chip number.

And without a microchip and duly vaccinated - the OP won't be allowed to bring his/her dog into Switzerland. (The only exception for vaccination in order to import an adult dog would be documented heath conditions where vaccination is contraindicated, provided by the US vet. This would need to be submitted to the Veterinarämt for consideration. But if the dog in not healthy enough to vaccinate, there is a chance that one may be refused entry. Philosophical objection won't cut it in terms of entry requirements.

But once in, the dog does not need to be re-vaccinated as long as the dog never leaves Switzerland. And as long as the OP does not engage in activities requiring it.

But to the OP - Wolfsbaby if you are not comfortable with rules and regulations and governmental (and neighborhood ) intrusion into your private life , Switzerland is going to be a very difficult adjustment for you. Switzerland is not a land where one can go one's own way; the country works because there is a very strong ethos of following rules, of bending to the will of the majority. There is little scope for deviation from the norm in Switzerland - this should be understood when one is considering a move here.

Take some time to read through the forum - your idea of Switzerland might change a bit.

But if you move here, you must follow the rules on chipping, registration, SKN classes, etc. For your dog's sake.

Best of luck to you in this decision.



ETA:

Wolfybaby - forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but your comments sound as if you are just beginning to research a move to Switzerland. Have you looked into the requirements for you yourself to move here? It is very difficult for an American (ie., non-EU) to get a work permit (and thus residence permit), as jobs must first go to any CH or EU citizen. And unless you are seriously minted, moving here on a non-working visa is also very difficult. If you have dual citizenship with an EU country things will be easier. Do browse the Permits section if you haven't already done so.

Last edited by meloncollie; 02.07.2012 at 23:12.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.06.2012, 17:31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wolfybaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

i view the body as sacred, including dogs and other animals. nothing but natural goodness should enter it, to keep it as pure as the creators made it for us. injecting a man-made, electronic computer chip.. well, its just not natural. i can see the benefits and i think its amazing technology, but i just cant come to accept it for my family or pets..

Quote:
View Post
France does not require that you take classes. You still have to microship or tattoo the dog though and microships are also required if you want to travel with your dog, so unlikely that you would be able to skip this. Why is it against your beliefs?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.06.2012, 17:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,774
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,790 Times in 6,988 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

In that case, your dog is not moving to Switzerland. *

Microchipping is mandatory, full stop.

http://www.bvet.admin.ch/tsp/02222/0...x.html?lang=de


For those interested, the relevant laws are 916.401 Tierseuchenverordnung (TSV) and 455.1 Tierschutzverordnung von 23. April 2008 (TSchV)

http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/sr/916_401/index.html
http://www.admin.ch/ch/d/sr/c455_1.html


(FYI, microchipping is also mandatory in much of the EU, and required to cross borders... )


* And a plea, from my years of work in dog rescue, seeing all too often what happens when people give up their dogs when an international move renders them 'inconvenient' - please re-consider your move if you feel you absolutely cannot microchip your dog in order to bring her along with you. When we take on our animals, we take on the responsibility for their welfare for their natural lives, come what may in our own.

But I hope it doesn't come to that - please read up on microchipping. It's painless, side effects are uncommon - and it has saved the lives of many, many dogs. Switzerland does not have a stray problem, thanks largely to mandatory microchipping and registration in the national database.

Last edited by meloncollie; 26.06.2012 at 18:19.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.06.2012, 17:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: united states
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wolfybaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

i have only just begun my research.. i havent looked at the permits or anything; im trying to find out info on the things most important to me first, which is freedom of health. here in america, we are getting our rights knocked away little by little. this "obamacare" is gonna take the cake. im just hoping nothing about compulsory vaccination has been slipped in there.

there are many other countries on my list.. just thought id start with the german-speaking ones first!

Quote:
View Post
Caninsui, be careful with this advice - the classes are rigorously enforced in many Gemeinden. Yes, some Gemeinden are pretty half-hearted in enforcement - but if this is a sticking point for the OP than perhaps Switzerland is NOT the place for him/her.

The law says that every owner of a dog acquired after 1 Sept. 2008 (when the TSchV came into force) must take the practical SKN classes. So as the OP's dog is less than 2 years old, he is indeed requried to take the practical course.

To give you an idea - where I live enforcement is strict. One needs to give a copy of the course certificate to the Gemeinde, and they will chase you up for it. As they will for copies of the insurance policy, and of course the microchip registration. And if the Gemeinde doesn't find (and fine!) you, your neighbors will eagerly denounce you. (To the OP - look up courage civile.)

As with everything in Switzerland, YMMV.

There is NO EXCEPTION for microchipping and registration in the national database. This is a federal law. Your vet is a mandatory reporter and would be required to report you to the authorities if your dog is not chipped. Most documentation is linked to your dog's chip number.

And without a microchip and duly vaccinated - the OP won't be allowed to bring your dog into Switzerland. (The only exception for vaccination in order to import an adult dog would be documented heath conditions where vaccination is contraindicated, provided by the US vet. This would need to be submitted to the Veterinarämt for consideration. But if the dog in not healthy enough to vaccinate, there is a chance that one may be refused entry. Philosophical objection won't cut it in terms of entry requirements.

But once in, the dog does not need to be re-vaccinated as long as the dog never leaves Switzerland. And as long as the OP does not engage in activities requiring it.

But to the OP - Wolfsbaby if you are not comfortable with rules and regulations and governmental (and neighborhood ) intrusion into your private life , Switzerland is going to be a very difficult adjustment for you. Switzerland is not a land where one can go one's own way; the country works because there is a very strong ethos of following rules, of bending to the will of the majority. There is little scope for deviation from the norm in Switzerland - this should be understood when one is considering a move here.

Take some time to read through the forum - your idea of Switzerland might change a bit.

But if you move here, you must follow the rules on chipping, registration, SKN classes, etc. For your dog's sake.

Best of luck to you in this decision.



ETA:

Wolfybaby - forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but your comments sound as if you are just beginning to research a move to Switzerland. Have you looked into the requirements for you yourself to move here? It is very difficult for an American (ie., non-EU) to get a work permit (and thus residence permit), as jobs must first go to any CH or EU citizen. And unless you are seriously minted, moving here on a non-working visa is also very difficult. If you have dual citizenship with an EU country things will be easier. Do browse the Permits section if you haven't already done so.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.06.2012, 18:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,774
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,790 Times in 6,988 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

OT in the Pets section, but...

Wolfybaby, before you get your hopes up dreaming of a life in Switzerland, please research your permit options. As upthread, it is very difficult for Americans - and all non-EU citizens - to move to Switzerland these days. Figure this our first, before you look into other QOL issues.

There is a sticky in the Permit section covering non-EU permits with plenty of helpful information.

(Oh, and while you're at it, you might want to research the albatross-around-our-American-necks that is FATCA. It is becoming increasingly difficult for Americans to live a normal life abroad thanks to this lovely bit of Uncle Sam over-reach.)


OK, back to pets...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.06.2012, 18:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lausanne-ish
Posts: 60
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Jennifer W has earned some respectJennifer W has earned some respect
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

We recently moved our dog to Switzerland from the US in March, so I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty that you will have to jump through more hoops to get Fido into the country than you will for yourself. I actually had to make a trip to a USDA office to get his paperwork approved, and despite planning over 5 months in advance, we still didn't know until 2 days before our flight whether he would be joining us. I had to have emergency backup plans in place, just in case.

As meloncollie says, the microchipping in non-negotiable. Now, if you decide that you can live with it, and that you indeed want to move here, be sure you follow the schedule for the microchipping and vaccinations. You will have to have rabies, and if you ever board your dog, you will have to have bordatella as well. The rabies must be at least 30 days prior to your arrival in Switzerland, but note that you must also have the microchipping done first, THEN the rabies, otherwise the rabies is invalid and the dog will have to be re-inoculated.

Also be aware that you must have an ISO compliant microchip. If you decide to chip your pet, research the company before you insert the chip to be sure it is ISO compliant. My dog came from the SPCA, and he was already chipped. Unfortunately, it was not ISO compliant. To avoid invalidating his rabies, we wound up renting a microchip reader that I took with us on the plane so that he could be checked at every stop, including customs. I took him to the vet within 10 days of our arrival, where they had to check his chip again. I then returned the chip reader to the company in the US. Eventually, I chipped him with his European chip and got his pet passport.

As far as the classes, our dog took obedience classes in the US and I have the documentation to prove it. According to our vet, I do not need to take any classes here.

Last thing to keep in mind: many airlines have an embargo against shipping animals in the cargo hold during certain times of the year. For example, Delta embargoes from June through September and again from December through March. So effectively, you can only fly with your pet in April, May, October, and November. We were lucky, and were able to fly him with us, and he handled the ride just fine (the hold is climate controlled and pressurized). He was even off the plane and waiting for us before we even made it to the passport check. You can, however, hire a certified pet shipper, but expect to pay about $2000 instead of $300.

All this has been a royal pain in the backside, but worth it in order to have him with us.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Jennifer W for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 26.06.2012, 18:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zrh
Posts: 5,813
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 9,088 Times in 3,854 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
i have only just begun my research.. i havent looked at the permits or anything; im trying to find out info on the things most important to me first, which is freedom of health. here in america, we are getting our rights knocked away little by little. this "obamacare" is gonna take the cake. im just hoping nothing about compulsory vaccination has been slipped in there.

there are many other countries on my list.. just thought id start with the german-speaking ones first!
OT for pets, but on topic for leaving the US. Switzerland requires you to purchase health insurance. If you've got problems with the ACA, then you'll not want to be in Switzerland either, I imagine. Other countries in Europe have something more akin to socialized medicine. Europe may be difficult for you to stomach in general - perhaps another continent is more to your liking.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 26.06.2012, 18:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,774
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,790 Times in 6,988 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
As far as the classes, our dog took obedience classes in the US and I have the documentation to prove it. According to our vet, I do not need to take any classes here.
Jennifer, how old is your dog? If you acquired him before 1 Sept 2008 that would be true. But if he came into your lives after that time, you fall into the group that are required to take the SKN practical (not theory) course.

The SKN is a Switzerland-specific class. Certainly everyone in the classes I have taken have been long time dog owners with dogs who have been taking classes for years, one even held a Schutzhund title - yet all were required to do the SKN.

It would be best to go directly to the source, either the BVET or your cantonal Veterinarämt, for a ruling rather than relying on your vet. If they say you are excused - be sure you get that in writing.

And please - do report back when you do - I'd be very interested.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26.06.2012, 19:22
sashimiso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: riehen
Posts: 550
Groaned at 58 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 224 Posts
sashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputation
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
what are the rules and laws of moving into the country with a dog? i heard about mandatory dog classes. is this only for puppies or first-time-owners? what about people moving into the country with a dog theyve had for years?

in the united states, its recommended that you get the pet licensed but its not really enforced. rabies vaccine is absolutely required, but all the other vaccines are not required, just recommended. but it you want to board the dog, some places will require that they have certain ones.

what about in switzerland? is the rabies vaccine required? other shots? microchip? license? help me out please! :]

The short version of what others have already said... I brought two dogs into Switzerland 8 months ago.

  1. Your dog needs the international microchip. You can get this before you come here it is no problem
  2. Within ten days you will have to have your dog registered in ANIS
  3. Once you register your dogs, you will get a bill from your canton for the annual fee for the dog
  4. While registering your dog, you will also want to inquire about the doggie passport. If you plan on country travel, it is a must in most countries depending on how you enter. For instance, we travel to CZ often and need them there for our dogs.
  5. Dog training. If you have had your dog for more than 3 years, you will not have to get the dog trained, but, you must provide documentation that shows you have had your dog longer than this time. If not, you will be mandated to have training for the dog, and the city will want proof. If you have to get your dog trained, just Google local dog trainers where you will live and there are plenty around. There are two in Riehen that are certified. We were lucky and didn't have to get them trained.
  6. Even though you got shots for your dog before you entered, you will more than likely have to do it again with a Swiss vet. We did, for both.
  7. The good news... Because it is a cooler climate than many places, dogs are not susceptible to heart worms, so you will not have to get your dog wormed, or put it on worm medicine.

I think that is it. I may be forgetting a think or two
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.06.2012, 20:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lausanne-ish
Posts: 60
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Jennifer W has earned some respectJennifer W has earned some respect
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
[*]The good news... Because it is a cooler climate than many places, dogs are not susceptible to heart worms, so you will not have to get your dog wormed, or put it on worm medicine.[/LIST]
That might depend upon where you live. I am in Vaud, and I do have to give my dog monthly heartworm medication.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 26.06.2012, 20:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lausanne-ish
Posts: 60
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Jennifer W has earned some respectJennifer W has earned some respect
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post

It would be best to go directly to the source, either the BVET or your cantonal Veterinarämt, for a ruling rather than relying on your vet. If they say you are excused - be sure you get that in writing.

And please - do report back when you do - I'd be very interested.
Thanks. I will check into this. I will also look into the "dog tax," as mentioned in another post. I have registered my dog with my commune, but still have not received any kind of bill. I'd hate to get slammed with a fine due to a clerical error!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26.06.2012, 20:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,774
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 21,790 Times in 6,988 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
[*]Dog training. If you have had your dog for more than 3 years, you will not have to get the dog trained, but, you must provide documentation that shows you have had your dog longer than this time. If not, you will be mandated to have training for the dog, and the city will want proof. If you have to get your dog trained, just Google local dog trainers where you will live and there are plenty around. There are two in Riehen that are certified. We were lucky and didn't have to get them trained.
[/LIST]
Just to be precise (and slightly pedantic ) it's not 'if you've had your dog more than three years' that is the trigger, but rather, any dog acquired after 1 Sept 2008. Right now that adds up to (slightly more than) three years, but soon it won't.

The 1 Sept 2008 date is what is important. If your dog was registered in your name before that date, you are excused from the practical SKN. If your dog was acquired after that date, you need to do the SKN.
---

To illustrate:

I have had dogs for 20+ years. As I have had dogs registered in my name here in Switzerland since 1998, I am excused from the SKN theory. (Although I've taken it anyway, out of interest. )

However, none of the dogs are registered in my husband's name. Therefore should we decide that the next dog goes in his name, he would be treated as a new owner, and be required to take the theory course - despite the fact that he has been an integral part of caring for the dogs over the last 20+ years.


As for the practical: the Belltie joined me in 2009 - therefore he and I had to do the SKN. As I will with every dog I adopt from now on.

Hooligan came in 2005, Haifisch in 2007 - and both are therefore excused from the practical portion with me.

And again, should something happen to me and my husband 'inherit' the dogs, he will have to do the SKN practical with each of them.

(FYI, I use a dog sitter regularly - given the type of sitting she does for us, she has done the SKN with each of my dogs.)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 26.06.2012, 20:55
sashimiso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: riehen
Posts: 550
Groaned at 58 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 224 Posts
sashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputation
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
That might depend upon where you live. I am in Vaud, and I do have to give my dog monthly heartworm medication.
interesting... we were just at the vet last week and he didn't mention it as a canton thing.. but, could be
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26.06.2012, 21:00
sashimiso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: riehen
Posts: 550
Groaned at 58 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 224 Posts
sashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputationsashimiso has an excellent reputation
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
Just to be precise (and slightly pedantic ) it's not 'if you've had your dog more than three years' that is the trigger, but rather, any dog acquired after 1 Sept 2008. Right now that adds up to (slightly more than) three years, but soon it won't.

The 1 Sept 2008 date is what is important. If your dog was registered in your name before that date, you are excused from the practical SKN. If your dog was acquired after that date, you need to do the SKN.
---

To illustrate:

I have had dogs for 20+ years. As I have had dogs registered in my name here in Switzerland since 1998, I am excused from the SKN theory. (Although I've taken it anyway, out of interest. )

However, none of the dogs are registered in my husband's name. Therefore should we decide that the next dog goes in his name, he would be treated as a new owner, and be required to take the theory course - despite the fact that he has been an integral part of caring for the dogs over the last 20+ years.


As for the practical: the Belltie joined me in 2009 - therefore he and I had to do the SKN. As I will with every dog I adopt from now on.

Hooligan came in 2005, Haifisch in 2007 - and both are therefore excused from the practical portion with me.

And again, should something happen to me and my husband 'inherit' the dogs, he will have to do the SKN practical with each of them.

(FYI, I use a dog sitter regularly - given the type of sitting she does for us, she has done the SKN with each of my dogs.)
this is true? interesting... I had long battles with the city, and finally won and didn't have to have it done. to be honest, I am still unclear, but what she said in her "little bit" of English was three years.

ps - since I didn't want to get on a "list" I sent her flowers because we were oil and water for at least two months. if she had said to me one more time about visiting the US and not getting help with her English (because her friend told her so) I would have gone mental
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vacation to USA and Back to Switzerland with Dog Shipsinbottles Pet corner 9 07.05.2013 09:08
Moving to Switzerland with Aspergers child Jen Dink Introductions 9 22.06.2011 00:23
moving to switzerland with two wives aloneinthedark Permits/visas/government 51 18.08.2010 23:39
moving to Switzerland with a foreign plate gpp Transportation/driving 1 11.09.2009 20:39
[INS] Moving to Switzerland with baby due Shaoyang Insurance 5 12.02.2007 20:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0