Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10.07.2012, 09:34
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kitten for adoption

Our cats were all able to come and go as they pleased (via a cat flap), except at night when we kept them in and locked the cat flap, and all lived to a good old age (the oldest was 18 when she had to be put to sleep ).
They seemed to love to be outdoors, whether exploring the fields behind our house, visiting their friends in neighbouring houses (and bringing them home for tea now and then) or just sitting on our lawn watching the world go by.
I feel cats are outdoor animals, but should always have the option of coming back indoors, and should never be locked outside.

Back to the op though, I do hope you soon find a home for your beautiful kitten.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 89 Posts
annas has earned some respectannas has earned some respect
Re: kitten for adoption

I just need to see how happy is my cat when he jumps on the field and then climbs a tree.. his energy and vitality is much more than when he plays at home.
I know of the dangers.. but do I keep my kids indoors because of the dangers out there for all their life?
Obviously I speak for when there are good conditions for going out. I wouldn't let my cat out in a busy street neither.

The kitten is very cute and I hope he will find a happy house with a GARDEN.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank annas for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:

Eh? Not sure where you got that gem from,
Well I do not have the original source, but it is well known that outdoor cats do not live as long as indoor cats. I do not make stuff up (well...)

http://www.cat-world.com.au/indoor-vs-outdoor-cats
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...ooroutdoor.htm

Educate yourself...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
If I had let my cats out back in Washington DC, or here in Addis Ababa, I would probably never see them again with cars, other stray animals (including Hyenas at night)
where exactly in addis are hyenas running around ? i have only seen them right on the outskirts and that isnt really addis.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
Well I do not have the original source, but it is well known that outdoor cats do not live as long as indoor cats. I do not make stuff up (well...)

http://www.cat-world.com.au/indoor-vs-outdoor-cats
http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...ooroutdoor.htm

Educate yourself...

sure there are numerous other sites that say the opposite though.

at the end of the day its all down to personal opinion, people who belive indoor is bettter will do just that and may find it hard to follow or accept the outdoor stance and vice versa.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
sure there are numerous other sites that say the opposite though.

at the end of the day its all down to personal opinion, people who belive indoor is bettter will do just that and may find it hard to follow or accept the outdoor stance and vice versa.
I have given sites that say it has been statistically proven that indoor cats live longer than outdoor cats, that for me as I belong also to a few cat interest groups is a fact. I understand people thinking it is better to let cats go outside and that is a valid point of view, still I doubt there is any evidence that says outdoor cats live longer than indoor cats and that is what I was referring to.

And I found this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/cat-...utdoor_cat.htm

where it says:

The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it's healthier to keep cats indoors. “Considering the potential dangers outdoors, an indoor lifestyle is much safer for cats,” Brunt says. “Indoor cats have a much lower likelihood of becoming hurt or ill from outdoor hazards.”

As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years. Another reason for indoor cats' longevity is that it's easier for their owners to identify health problems early, before they become life threatening.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it's healthier to keep cats indoors. “Considering the potential dangers outdoors, an indoor lifestyle is much safer for cats,” Brunt says. “Indoor cats have a much lower likelihood of becoming hurt or ill from outdoor hazards.”

.
anyone with 2 brain cells can see thats obvious.

maybe this is better?





if people have a cat that goes outdoors and cant notice any changes which may indicate a problem then people shouldnt have care of animals. all of our outdoor cats have lived well past 10 years so i dont buy the 2 - 5 years thing, but anyway its all a matter of personal opinion at the end of the day
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 10.07.2012, 11:49
jrl jrl is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 32
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
jrl has no particular reputation at present
Re: kitten for adoption

Another consideration on the indoor/outdoor question should be the impact on local wildlife. Outdoor cats are incredibly destructive to local birds, etc. If you can live with this, I don't judge as I've lived with an outdoor cat before (and personally think indoor cats can often become a little crazy), but please recognize the decision isn't only about what is best for your cat.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10.07.2012, 13:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
Quote:
The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is that it's healthier to keep cats indoors.
Yes, I've seen and accepted that in the US things are different, so your stats from the US are fine, but don't help with the question of which is better elsewhere.
Quote:
View Post
Quote:
As evidence, indoor cats live longer than their outdoor counterparts. Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years.
As I said above, that is simply not true over here.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10.07.2012, 13:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
Another consideration on the indoor/outdoor question should be the impact on local wildlife. Outdoor cats are incredibly destructive to local birds, etc. If you can live with this, I don't judge as I've lived with an outdoor cat before (and personally think indoor cats can often become a little crazy), but please recognize the decision isn't only about what is best for your cat.
Hah! Ours make quite a dent in local rodent populations, but not so much on the birds. I think the size and type of many of the birds tends to put them off somewhat, plus there's plenty of high hedges and trees.

But yes, in an urban garden this might be a consideration as to whether you can justify keeping an outdoor cat.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10.07.2012, 13:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
Yes, I've seen and accepted that in the US things are different, so your stats from the US are fine, but don't help with the question of which is better elsewhere.



As I said above, that is simply not true over here.
would you mind then enlightening me and showing me any resources? thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10.07.2012, 13:57
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
would you mind then enlightening me and showing me any resources? thanks.
I wouldn't mind at all, if I had any. I'm not going to spend time googling this further - as we know from the MMR thread one can find anything one wants to somewhere on the interwebs

I was (previously) quoting from my own experience of having owned over a dozen cats over the years, all allowed out, some of whom lived for as much as 18 years, and who've _averaged_ probably about twelve, including those who've died young through illness or (in one case as I mentioned) poisoning. Also the experience of my rellies back in the UK, many of whose cats live to similarly high ages.

The wording of your quote also indicates a bias, comparing as it does the _possible_ lifespan of an indoor cat with the _average_ they find for an outdoor one. Obviously these two figures are not equivalent, so one has to ask why the article was so badly worded. Makes it sound to me like they've got their own agenda to push.

Oh, and while I'm picking holes in it, if they're basing their conclusions on real data how come they'd quote an "average" lifespan of "two to five years"? That doesn't make sense even from a semantic viewpoint, let alone a stats/science one.

As I say, it all smells a little odd to me.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10.07.2012, 15:38
charz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aadorf
Posts: 135
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 66 Times in 38 Posts
charz has earned some respectcharz has earned some respect
Re: kitten for adoption

Did the study also consider those cats who are indoors with overweight problems as the Misses insists that more food will help them get over their social problem? ( I could imagine American studies going for cats social needs and desires!!)

Or did they just go with formal - one cat verses 10 cars per minute minus 3 lives.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10.07.2012, 15:43
tesso's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 456
Groaned at 22 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 279 Times in 152 Posts
tesso is considered knowledgeabletesso is considered knowledgeabletesso is considered knowledgeable
Re: kitten for adoption

The tiger in the zoo lives longer but give him the choice sure hed rather be in the wilds .
Maybe its the same as with humans, dont want to live till 100 if it means no cigs no wein or anything else that makes life fun
My cat is 11 and has always been outside (although he has the choice)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tesso for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 10.07.2012, 15:45
tesso's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 456
Groaned at 22 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 279 Times in 152 Posts
tesso is considered knowledgeabletesso is considered knowledgeabletesso is considered knowledgeable
Re: kitten for adoption

I was just reading this post to see wether hes found a home, has he?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10.07.2012, 15:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
I wouldn't mind at all, if I had any. I'm not going to spend time googling this further - as we know from the MMR thread one can find anything one wants to somewhere on the interwebs

I was (previously) quoting from my own experience of having owned over a dozen cats over the years, all allowed out, some of whom lived for as much as 18 years, and who've _averaged_ probably about twelve, including those who've died young through illness or (in one case as I mentioned) poisoning. Also the experience of my rellies back in the UK, many of whose cats live to similarly high ages.

The wording of your quote also indicates a bias, comparing as it does the _possible_ lifespan of an indoor cat with the _average_ they find for an outdoor one. Obviously these two figures are not equivalent, so one has to ask why the article was so badly worded. Makes it sound to me like they've got their own agenda to push.

Oh, and while I'm picking holes in it, if they're basing their conclusions on real data how come they'd quote an "average" lifespan of "two to five years"? That doesn't make sense even from a semantic viewpoint, let alone a stats/science one.
Fair enough, I just took offense of you asking me where I had got that gem from. I honestly doubt though there will be many studies assessing life spans of indoor vs outdoor cats. I know I want to keep mine inside and it people do otherwise that is their decision, I am not going to go all judgmental or self righteous.
Having said that, near my house we have foxes and wild pigs and knowing how ehem 'smart' my cats are I rather keep them indoors. Another point that influences my decision is my family having lost 2 cats to road accidents, and these were cats that were used to being outside and their houses were pretty rural. Also, I lost my little Lucas, who we let out as we lived in the middle of nowhere, to Infectious Peritonitis, a contagious diseases to which there is no cure or treatment.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10.07.2012, 15:50
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
As I said above, that is simply not true over here.
Re: ripe old age: average guys, average! Don't forget distribution curves.




The photo's got nothing to do with anything... just made me laugh...

Quote:
View Post
The tiger in the zoo lives longer but give him the choice sure hed rather be in the wilds .
You are applying human logic to animals. Animals have basic needs: food and water. Everything in their lives is geared to or driven by this: procreation, territory, prides, etc. etc.

In a zoo:
- regular meals
- no territorial problems
- no risk of attack from other animals/predators
- little to no disease (healthy life)
- little chance of injury

In the wild:
- stress of finding food
- competition for space
- disease
- injury
- premature death

Many animals in captivity actually lead stress-free lives, especially now that zoos are taking a keen interest in the mental welfare of their animals.

If you take care of your flat-cat, they can live perfectly happy lives and may never wish to leave the safety of their home.
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion

Last edited by Carlos R; 10.07.2012 at 16:01.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 10.07.2012, 15:51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption


Not directed at anyone just thought it was cute...wish I could put this on the vaccination and autism thread.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10.07.2012, 16:01
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,741
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kitten for adoption

But has the gorgeous little kitty found a new home yet?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 10.07.2012, 16:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kitten for adoption

Quote:
View Post
Fair enough, I just took offense of you asking me where I had got that gem from.
Feeling a bit sensitive after the MMR thread? I didn't think it would rile you, otherwise I'd not have said it.

<mutters> the groan's still there though...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snowshoe siamese for adoption zitomurphy Pet corner 4 12.02.2011 15:49
Looking for a kitten hollisterb Pet corner 8 07.05.2010 17:09
[Gone] Cat for adoption!!!! BMW Pet corner 6 17.11.2008 15:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0